Art Blakey & Pearl

RobertM

Platinum Member
Does anyone know why Art Blakey stopped playing Gretsch and switched to Pearl? It seems like a lot of the early Gretsch masters (Blakey, Elvin, Roach) all left Gretsch for other companies (Pearl, Ludwig, Tama/Yamaha).

Just wondering...

As far as I can remember most of them switched to Japanese sets. I can't remember many Gretsch jazz players switching to Ludwig (Max Roach did, but he also played Meazzi Hollywood and there are many pictures of him playing different Japanese sets, so ...).

Let's check some hypothesis:
  • Japanese sets were more "modern" both from a sound and an esthetic point of view
  • Japanese sets had better hardware
  • Japanese drum companies offered better endorsement contracts ...

Also note that Gretsch was no longer under family control in the 1980s - add to that that people aren't jumping all over themselves for 80s era Gretsch, and I think you make a reasonable argument for people looking for quality.

Here's an idea:

All those jazz cats switched to Japanese brands, not just because these brands had become market leaders, but because they were Japanese (I mean the drums, not the drummers)!

It's well known that those old jazz cats had a tremendous following in Japan. Europe has always been known as the "home away from home" for American jazz musicians, especially black jazz musicians. However, I think the Japanese really were the most dedicated fans. I remember reading that Art Blakey had been completely overwhelmed by the reception the Jazz Messengers got on their first tour in Japan.

Perhaps those jazz cats were in a way honouring some of their most dedicated fans by buying Japanese.

Just a thought.

Also note that Gretsch was no longer under family control in the 1980s.....

Correct, in the 1980's the Baldwin company owned Gretsch and pretty much drove it into the ground financially, distribution wise and support wise.

However, I think the Japanese really were the most dedicated fans. I remember reading that Art Blakey had been completely overwhelmed by the reception the Jazz Messengers got on their first tour in Japan.
Perhaps those jazz cats were in a way honouring some of their most dedicated fans by buying Japanese.

I remember Tom Scott telling us how Yamaha rolled out the red carpet and lavished him and his band with gear when they visited Japan in 1980.

Art Blakey and Mel Lewis are synonymous with Gretsch and whenever I see pictures of them using other drums makes me cringe ( especially Mel Lewis).

Pearl was very aggresive in recruiting emdorsers in the 70's and 80's . Rumours of money changing hands to endorse their drums are quite well known. Chances are Pearl and the other Japanese drum conpanies made them " an offer they couldn't refuse". :)

Gretsch had notorious bad customer service in the 80's and 90's.

Even when working for a Grestsch dealer, they were difficult to deal with. They would routinely screw up orders. They wouldn't let you order parts unless you ordered $50 worth. My buddy ordered a kit, and they cut his bass drum in 1/2 (length wise) before shipping, and so they had to remake them.

Johnathan Mover said during his brief time as Gretsch endorser, if he was on the road and asked for a new hi-hat stand pull rod, they would send him 3 floor tome legs instead.

There is a story Neil Peart called them to inquire about a possible endorsement, and they hung up on him.

I once had a snare drum on special order for a client, and after 6 months of waiting, they told me they weren't going to make it, and just canceled the order.

They made great stuff, but they were horrible to deal with until they had Kaman/KMS take over distribution and customer service.

Back