A rear line day - mini report.

I know, I know ;) BTW, the tambourine on the HH stand wasn't for my set, JIK you were thinking of calling me on that too ;)

I wouldn't - I added a tambourine to my kit for use in "Day Tripper".

I asked the singer if he could/would play the tambourine for the opening section and he came over all 'rabbit in the headlights' at the thought of playing something vaguely reminiscent of an acshil instrument. :)

Stepping back from snide comments, innuendo and sarcasm for a brief moment...

Should we really be surprised that Guru drums have limited name recognition? After all, "boutique" and "obscure" are opposite sides of the same coin. Andy, I have nothing but admiration for what you are doing, as a craftsman, businessman and human being. Your drums look superb, sound excellent in Beatloaf and are regarded to the heavens by those fortunate enough to get to smack those puppies (hello your Madge!). But until (unless) you achieve wider exposure, people, yes, even drummers, will not know what they are looking at.

Whether you want wider exposure and FMCG type brand recognition is a whole 'nother question, especially when achievit means taking your focus off what you are currently doing.

Marketing is amazing...

Many years ago I used to have a Mapex kit. Can't remember the exact model. Upgraded to it after I first invested in a Mapex Pro. Top spec it was. Cost me a lot of money when I had the money. No-one ever commented on it either in terms of it's quality (it was A1) or it's looks (it was a beauty). Not a thing. Mapex were largely unknown years back.

I currently gig with a Gretsch Catalina Club Mod. I absolutely love it. BUT it's 'entry level'. Perhaps of a little higher quality than a lot of entry level stuff. But still, it was cheap to buy. It sounds ace to my largely uneducated ear...but still. It's entry level. Machine manufactured in the Far East I think.

Everywhere I go...cooo...ooooo......wow.....fantastic.....Including people with high end professional kits who play music for their professions. Just because of the name on the badge.

It's bizarre in my eyes and all slightly mysterious.

Sad but true about DW being omnipotent. Clem Burke, a big fan and user of Premier drums for donkeys years, commented that he had changed to DW cos "if you want to hire a kit in the States It will be a DW." He changed so he would know the hire kits would match what he was playing and endorsing.

Sad but true about DW being omnipotent. Clem Burke, a big fan and user of Premier drums for donkeys years, commented that he had changed to DW cos "if you want to hire a kit in the States It will be a DW." He changed so he would know the hire kits would match what he was playing and endorsing.

Im calling BS on this. I have actually been inside of the SIR warehouse in NYC. It is the size of an airplane hanger, and there were literally thousands of kits. I dont think you could pick a major manufacturer that wasnt represented in a rainbow of colors. They even have vintage rogers and camco stuff, its very impressive. My guess is premier wasnt offering the level of support he wanted so he jumped ship.

Its also funny to me that I have played hundereds of backline kits and I have NEVER played a DW. I have been playing for 25 years and I have never touched a DW on stage. More Pearls than I can count, but if I showed up expecting a DW backline kit, I would have lived a life of disappointment.

Of course, the hired PA sound engineer wasn't happy about the lack of hole in the bass drum reso head.
I'm dreading the time I get an arsey soundman who doesn't like the lack of hole in the reso head on my 26" Ludwigs. Apart from, "None of the other drums have holes in and you can mic those up OK" what are my best responses if that arises?

Im calling BS on this. I have actually been inside of the SIR warehouse in NYC. It is the size of an airplane hanger, and there were literally thousands of kits. I dont think you could pick a major manufacturer that wasnt represented in a rainbow of colors. They even have vintage rogers and camco stuff, its very impressive. My guess is premier wasnt offering the level of support he wanted so he jumped ship.

Its also funny to me that I have played hundereds of backline kits and I have NEVER played a DW. I have been playing for 25 years and I have never touched a DW on stage. More Pearls than I can count, but if I showed up expecting a DW backline kit, I would have lived a life of disappointment.

Errrr..... you can call BS all you like, mate. Read Clem's interview in Rhythm Magazine from July 2014. Only stating what Mr Burke said when asked why the change from his beloved Premiers.

Errrr..... you can call BS all you like, mate. Read Clem's interview in Rhythm Magazine from July 2014. Only stating what Mr Burke said when asked why the change from his beloved Premiers.

Mike, I wasnt saying that you are full of BS. I am saying that Clem's reason for leaving doesnt hold much water. I have no doubt that you are just reporting on what you read.

I'm dreading the time I get an arsey soundman who doesn't like the lack of hole in the reso head on my 26" Ludwigs. Apart from, "None of the other drums have holes in and you can mic those up OK" what are my best responses if that arises?
If the "engineer" isn't used to mic'ing a full resonant head bass drum, the best initial approach is one of empathy & firm reassurance. Suggest he mic's the front head pretty close if he has spill issues, & if he sights attack/slap issues, suggest he places an additional mic on the batter head. A 57 or similar dynamic will do just fine.

A photo of me playing the "back line" kit has emerged :)

Attachments

• HTB1.jpg
    HTB1.jpg
    669.4 KB · Views: 281
If the "engineer" isn't used to mic'ing a full resonant head bass drum, the best initial approach is one of empathy & firm reassurance. Suggest he mic's the front head pretty close if he has spill issues, & if he sights attack/slap issues, suggest he places an additional mic on the batter head. A 57 or similar dynamic will do just fine.

Damn, Andy, were you playing Meshuggah with that expression? ;)

Damn, Andy, were you playing Meshuggah with that expression? ;)
Hahaha, yes, it seems like a fairly intense moment. Still coping with the disabled finger too, so everything's a bit more animated than usual.

Just looking at this photo though reminds me of just how satisfying that tom collection is in terms of timbral progression. This setup covers so much ground in a relatively compact kit it's untrue.

Hahaha, yes, it seems like a fairly intense moment. Still coping with the disabled finger too, so everything's a bit more animated than usual.

Just looking at this photo though reminds me of just how satisfying that tom collection is in terms of timbral progression. This setup covers so much ground in a relatively compact kit it's untrue.

The three toms look far more progressive in depth/width than many.

What are they 12x10 12x12 14x14 ??

They do look smart though. If you're ever out of space and need someone to 'mind' a set please feel free to drop me a line :) :)

No, these are 10 x 6, 10 x 9, 12 x 12 :)

Blimey....way out.

Very smart. And they'd float, which is handy, being as I live in Manchester :)

If it's not an impertinant question, how long would it take Guru to build that beauty from scratch ?

Blimey....way out.

Very smart. And they'd float, which is handy, being as I live in Manchester :)

If it's not an impertinant question, how long would it take Guru to build that beauty from scratch ?
Yes, this kit was deliberately way out, & a morph from the experimental kit featured here with 3 x 10" toms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgFt6QFzfEM

It would take about 4 months to craft that kit :)

Here in the states my experience has been there's usually a DW backline set either onstage, or available. I believe YAMAHA is still the most requested backline kit, the hardware (CL945) has a lot to do with that IMO.

One drummer was initially protesting because he was told the rear line kit provided would be high quality "like a DW or something - not a small bass drum kit I've never heard of"

A drum company named GURU does have a questionable air about it if you're not familiar.

Sounds like a cheeky start up, never been on a cover page ad in MODERN DRUMMER, or the other drum rags. Just another blonde wood grained kit somebody threw together would (understandably) be a lot of drummers first visual impression.

One drummer was initially protesting because he was told the rear line kit provided would be high quality "like a DW or something - not a small bass drum kit I've never heard of". Stage manager - "just play it!" He did, & after his set was most complimentary on the power of the bass drum & openness of the toms.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating!

:)

One of the best pic of you behind a Guru Andy, I can hear that rimshot :)

A drum company named GURU does have a questionable air about it if you're not familiar.

Sounds like a cheeky start up, never been on a cover page ad in MODERN DRUMMER, or the other drum rags. Just another blonde wood grained kit somebody threw together would (understandably) be a lot of drummers first visual impression.
Absolutely fair comment. Brand is pretty much everything.

One of the best pic of you behind a Guru Andy, I can hear that rimshot :)
Rimshot evidence here Henri https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2HhEMB-5iE&feature=youtu.be

This short piece of soundcheck video is the only footage I can find where the audio isn't completely obscured by wind noise :( It even more stormy after this. Everything blowing all over the place, including the sound! (bass drum going on & off is nothing to do with my playing BTW!)

The guy pictured playing the kit looks very angry about something. Maybe he's not satisfied playing anything but DW, that's my guess.

Well, judging by the video either the band has at least on die hard fan or Guru has a future customer. :)

(that little feller was having fun)

Back