Cost to ship a kit?

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Hi, Have any of you sold a kit and had to ship it. I am looking to see what it may cost me. I know there are many factors. My kit will be going to PA from MA. Five piece. I plan on putting the 12" tom inside the 16, and the 14 & 10 inside the 22(bass) They will be shipped in hard Enduro cases so I don't think I will need boxes? They will be well protected with bubble wrap and soft bags. The hardware will be the only box needed...I hope. Any experienced sellers I'm all ears.

Thanks

Depending on where in MA and where to in PA, you can actually ship heavy boxes relatively cheaply on Amtrak trains using their "Express" service. Usually arrives within 8 hours.

I've shipped shell packs, nesting drums inside the bigger ones. I can usually get away with using a single FedEx 24x24x24 cube box. The cheapest to ship that from SoCal to NorCal was about $60 at the time.

Brunswick NJ --> Albany NY was $40 and change for the Renown shell pack. I was expecting it to be a bit higher.

The most accurate way is to take the actual drums in the actual shipping containers to the carrier of your choice and get a current quote. Fuel surcharges for shipping vary week to week and can affect the overall cost. Also ask what insurance will run (typically $1 per $100 of contents value). Your carrier may also recommend an alternate way to package and ship everything to shave off some of the cost.

I think the Enduro cases should be fine, but I wouldn't ship them uninsured. Again, a great idea to touch base with your carrier first.

I packaged and shipped a kit to an orphanage in Rwanda. Someone else picked up the shipping fees (no idea what that ended up costing), but I had everything nested and wrapped as tightly as possible including hardware, extra heads and cymbals. I included photos and directions for reassembly. Saw a video later that year of the kids playing the kit and they assembled it spot on.

The most accurate way is to take the actual drums in the actual shipping containers to the carrier of your choice and get a current quote. Fuel surcharges for shipping vary week to week and can affect the overall cost. Also ask what insurance will run (typically $1 per $100 of contents value). Your carrier may also recommend an alternate way to package and ship everything to shave off some of the cost.

I think the Enduro cases should be fine, but I wouldn't ship them uninsured. Again, a great idea to touch base with your carrier first.

I packaged and shipped a kit to an orphanage in Rwanda. Someone else picked up the shipping fees (no idea what that ended up costing), but I had everything nested and wrapped as tightly as possible including hardware, extra heads and cymbals. I included photos and directions for reassembly. Saw a video later that year of the kids playing the kit and they assembled it spot on.

That's awesome! Thank you for a great idea I might use in the future.

There's a big difference between what you are charged in shipping to have drums shipped to you and what you pay to ship drums. Depending on how many boxes you ship expect $80 - $120 to ship drums in cases. They take up a lot of truck space.

Well I created an account with UPS, I was quoted a price of $140.00. I asked if there was anyway I could lower the cost. They had a customer service rep contact me. He emailed me some incentive documents which I signed and faxed back. That was last Friday. The rep told me to hold off creating the pickup until Monday (yesterday). Monday I created the new pickup request and was charged $82.00.

I packed the 10" into the 14", into the 22" bass using bubblewrap and soft bags and then into a Enduro hard case. (65lbs) The 12" tom was packed inside the 16" tom with bubble wrap and a soft bag.(32lbs) Hardware was put into a Nomad 14" fiber case.(20lbs) UPS picked them up last night.

Sad to see them go :-(

Well I created an account with UPS, I was quoted a price of $140.00. I asked if there was anyway I could lower the cost. They had a customer service rep contact me. He emailed me some incentive documents which I signed and faxed back. That was last Friday. The rep told me to hold off creating the pickup until Monday (yesterday). Monday I created the new pickup request and was charged $82.00.

Be aware you "may" be charged extra in the end. I went through this shipping a guitar a few months ago. I established the account and paid for/printed my label at home (I dropped off myself, as I have a UPS store 5 minutes from my house). I was able to accurately measure the box, but had to estimate the weight. At about 16 pounds (guitar, case, plus packing materials) it was hard to weigh -- too heavy for a kitchen scale, too light to get an accurate weight from a bathroom scale. After it was shipped, my account was charged an extra $8, probably for the weight.

Back