criz p. critter's excellent Ludwig adventure...

criz p. critter

Silver Member
Maybe some of you remember my post from about 5 weeks ago concerning my brand new Legacy Classic snare that had a number of flaws....

I'm really happy to say that within a day or two of complaining to the local Ludwig rep, I received a call from Ludwig's head of Quality Control. She was super friendly and concerned about my problem, and she immediately got a replacement snare in the works. In just about 2 weeks I had the new drum in my hands. I examined it minutely and the thing is perfect! Every issue I complained about was addressed in the new drum. It's beautiful, it tunes up easily, and it sounds fantastic. They even sent me a DVD and tshirt.

So count me a very happy Ludwig fan again. I could not be happier with the way things turned out. I wanted to make sure that everyone who read my original thread has a chance to learn how well things ended, and how Ludwig stepped up and took care of me.

I'm really enjoying playing the snare. It's even pushed my go-to 402 to the number 2 spot for a while. Still playing around with the heads to see the range it's got. And I'll probably take off the lug gaskets when I get a minute.

Here's a few pics of my new snare fitting in perfectly with the rest of my mid-70s kit. I'll take a couple of closeups of it when I get a chance. Thanks everyone for your interest and advice!

Attachments

• IMG_2815.jpg
    IMG_2815.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_2816.jpg
    IMG_2816.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_2818.jpg
    IMG_2818.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 382
Before anyone even says anything...

Yeah, I know that 2002 is super dusty! I've actually pretty much gotten tired of it and stopped even using it. Anyone want to trade me something for it?

Awesome, congrats. The kit looks beautiful. Its great when things work out, but that's the way it should be, without a lot of muss and fuss. Kudos to Ludwig for stepping up.

So, how did they do the wrap this time? Is it run right to the edges or is it still shorter?

hey hey hey!

nice looking kit. i remember your thread about the snare. the first snare was really bad bud. im glad everything got sorted out. the new snare looks identical to the rest of the kit. i see what you mean about removing the gaskets. what drumhead is that on the snare?

Awesome, congrats. The kit looks beautiful. Its great when things work out, but that's the way it should be, without a lot of muss and fuss. Kudos to Ludwig for stepping up.

So, how did they do the wrap this time? Is it run right to the edges or is it still shorter?

Thanks. A lot of people don't really care for white, but that's my favorite wrap.
The wrap is still a bit short of the edge. I asked specifically about that, and was told that's how they do it now.

hey hey hey!

nice looking kit. i remember your thread about the snare. the first snare was really bad bud. im glad everything got sorted out. the new snare looks identical to the rest of the kit. i see what you mean about removing the gaskets. what drumhead is that on the snare?

Thanks... Yeah, I think it will look better and probably sound better without the gaskets.
That's a Remo Powerstroke II. I just tried it the other night, but found it to be too dead for my taste.

Thanks... Yeah, I think it will look better and probably sound better without the gaskets.
That's a Remo Powerstroke II. I just tried it the other night, but found it to be too dead for my taste.

i figured it was a powerstorke. i bought a powerstroke 3 for my snare one time, it was WAY dead. it came right off and back in the box

Welcome back to the fold.Sometimes you just have to talk to the right person to get something done.In my experience,Ludwig reps will do back flips to get the job done,and Ludwig has really stepped up as far as customer service and QC.

That said,no matter what you buy,or who you buy it from,...if it's assembled by imperfect humans,an imperfect one will slip through every now and then.That goes for everything from drumsets to a Rolls Royce.Anybody that tells you any different is a fool or a liar.

Again,I'm happy everything worked out in the end,and Ludwig did what it had to do,to make you a satisfied customer.

Steve B

Welcome back to the fold.Sometimes you just have to talk to the right person to get something done.In my experience,Ludwig reps will do back flips to get the job done,and Ludwig has really stepped up as far as customer service and QC.

That said,no matter what you buy,or who you buy it from,...if it's assembled by imperfect humans,an imperfect one will slip through every now and then.That goes for everything from drumsets to a Rolls Royce.Anybody that tells you any different is a fool or a liar.

Again,I'm happy everything worked out in the end,and Ludwig did what it had to do,to make you a satisfied customer.

Steve B

I agree, stuff happens. And I'm not the kind of guy who flies to extremes, so I was never even close to the "I hate Ludwig" attitude you sometimes hear. I was just really disappointed. My ultimate verdict on Ludwig was going to be based on if they took care of me, or not. They did, and I'm very happy about that. But I'm also happy that I can continue to consider them a great company. My faith in America (certain parts of it anyway!) is restored!

Count me as one of the fans of white drums. ;-)

So glad you got this straightened out Chris, enjoy the drum.

Now, about that Paiste cymbal. PM me the details of the cymbal, I may have something you would want in trade. ;-)

Thanks for the offer. PM sent.

Ludwig the greatest name in drums. Take it or leave it. Glad it worked out. The plain white d's are beautiful.

Excellent ending to the situation!!

Enjoy the snare, it looks great (and the kit is kick ass)!

Happy drumming!!!

Thanks Larryz and Karl for the comments.

I took the lug gaskets off the snare last night. It looks a lot nicer without them. Lug/rod splay doesn't seem that bad. Gonna try and take some nice closeups of it.

I'm so glad they took care of you. I love my Ludwigs and it pains me when I hear bad things about the company, so I'm happy they stepped up.

Last edited:
It's always a pleasure to get taken care of properly and professionally.

Drums look excellent!

Back