1979 Yamaha 9000 + sound sample

I got some new hoops for my 22" bass drum. I have also finally gotten almost all sizes from this series, bass drums ranging from 18" to 28", toms ranging from 6" to 18" etc.

Ahh, now that's a perfect kit for playing those humppa-ridden weddings... Would it be possible to see the entire kit in its full monstrous glory? :)

Ahh, now that's a perfect kit for playing those humppa-ridden weddings... Would it be possible to see the entire kit in its full monstrous glory? :)

You must mean oom-pah, my favourite. It's the only stuff I can sing while I am playing the drums.

I don't know about that monster set... I would need one Terry Bozzio to design a kit containing all those drums and still being playable.

for a monster set up i was thinking tun the 24 and the 22 bass drums into gong drums to be mounted 90 degress to each side of you.

2 bass's in front of you double bass dnb set up to the left of you
sorted :p

Damn i used to own a set of these - i really miss them now - even if they were fairly beaten up! yours though - its still mint and celebrating it's 40th birthday! congrats!

hey they look really nice and bet they sound good too. i was thinking of putting wood hoops on my gretsch club jazz drums. what do you think?

Re: 1979 Yamaha 9000

Hi!
Here's some pictures of my drums, now with wood hoops. The old topic got already removed.

24563.jpg

11471.jpg

Here's something new, a 26" kick.

1200x900PP.jpg

Wow, those are beautiful! I think a monster kit set-up is in order. And also, I think I see a mellotron in there... awesome.

That is a killer set ,wood hoops are really nice.Do you think you can help? I can not find out what date my custom rock tour Yamaha's are ? the bass drum serial # RBD822 QN-1650

Can you post the sound clip again? I am setting up my kit similar to Matt Cameron's too, but I think he used a discontinued K hi hat top, not a dark crash. They used to make 15" K hi hats. They can still be found on eBay. Other times he used a complete set of new beats.

Can you post the sound clip again? I am setting up my kit similar to Matt Cameron's too, but I think he used a discontinued K hi hat top, not a dark crash. They used to make 15" K hi hats. They can still be found on eBay. Other times he used a complete set of new beats.

You are probably right with that Matt Cameron fact.

I kind of dislike that combo with the crash on top at the moment and I have returned to using the original 70's 15" A hi hat top.

Possibly finding a 15" K hi hat top might be just what I needed. I like very much of the new 15" K light hats, but they are just a tad too light and washy for my taste. I have also heard some very nice new A new beats that just might be perfect for me. The K crash/ A bottom combination is very similar in sound with the 15" A sweet hats, just a tad dryer, making it... well... less sweet.

I am actually now very happy using the heavy A top cymbal because it gives me the needed extra bite and reach. I usually tend to play unmiked or just with a bd mic plus possibly just one overhead mic (trying to keep it simple). During the recent years my sound taste has also evolved more to the Manu Katché type of a sound family with high pitched fast cymbal sounds and dark lively tom sounds.

I am not sure if I have that clip anymore or if I would dare to post it here... Maybe I'll post a new one some day if I ever have the time again.

you got some b-e-a-utiful drums there my friend.

really nice kit brother. i have to say im not a big fan of Yamaha but i do like these very much.

side note... dont tell me your keys guy actually brings a mellotron around to gigs!?! (it's in your second pic in white)

Back