a change from mapex JANUS pedals

pranavmishra

hello fellow drummers, i am kinda new here..

i needed some help. i currently have janus pedals from mapex. i think now its time to move on them. why,

-they really hurt my left leg, around the ankle part (excess nerve tension,i guess, which would completely disallow the left leg movement ) , if i put a lot of pressure.

-considering the above problem, i slightly changed my technique from entirely heel up(and complete leg movement) to heel up but fixed around the middle or lower middle part of the pedal.. ( i hope i am able to explain)

-so, now , my right leg plays really well( with just the ankles) but my left leg would fail to do even as half as my right.. moreover the double pedal's connector thing, would start squeaking ,badly,

-and even more, t think my right can go even faster..

so please.. help me finding which would be the best next pedals for me... or is it like pedals are good, but i need to change my technique or something..

i really love their looks, heavy and toaster kinds but i guess they fail to deliver..

would axis-longboard be a good option??

(sorry for this crappy long message, but i had to explain.. ) :p

Well, what makes you think that changing your pedal will stop your ankle from being hurt? More specifically, what is it about the Janus pedal that you think hurts your ankle?

If you want something that's "easier" to play, look into Axis pedals. They'll be much lighter than you Janus pedals, so that might help your ancle a bit.

hey thanks for replying man..

as i said, the changed technique, toe stick to the pedal, helps me to avoid the nerve tension , but janus doesnt give me that much movement, if i just keep my toe on the middle or below middle of that pedal and use the springs, if i am explaining correctly..

again thanks a lot for replying..

Well if your going out looking for a truly lightweight effortless pedal the axis is the way to go, although try before you buy as some people will not like the feel of a direct drive pedal :)

You also may want to try building up the muscles in your legs before hand as you may well just be lacking the stamina, although if this isn't the case i may go to the doctors and get it checked out in case theres an issue there :/

Best of luck! George.

yup, tried doing that.. he said my uric acid level was high, and possible cure for it was ... DRINKING A LOT OF WATER ... strange, but it really helped, apart of dozens of medicines i was eating lately..

anyway.. so AXIS LONG BOARD IT IS..

one more question, is there any double pedal of axis, which can be divided into two individual pedals, for two bass drums..

thanks a lot man...

I'm not entirely certain, but I do believe all Axis double pedals can be split into two singles. Both pedals have their own spring assembly.

Why not just buy 2 single axis pedals?? Or are you wanting to convert at a later stage? in which case i believe naige is right, in that a double axis can be split into 2 singles.

Well, if I'm correct in that a double can be split, I'd definitely recommend buying a double pedal even if you play two kick drums. That way, if you ever need to play on a house kit with a single kick (or you need to downsize your own kit for a small stage), you'll still be able to play your own pedals.

Know it sounds silly but throne height could also be a factor.....my ankles kill me if I set my throne too low as I cant put as much leg in the stroke.

I also started going jogging a few times a week a couple of years ago and that helped my kick drum playing a hell of a lot.

If you are looking at getting a new set of pedals then from what Ive heard Axis pedals and the demon drives are very very good. I personally wouldnt want to throw that much money down at the moment but I do have 2 sets of iron cobras which I would definately recommend. I've also played on Pearl Eliminator Powershifters and they were extremely nice action aswell.

one more question, is there any double pedal of axis, which can be divided into two individual pedals, for two bass drums..

Very easily. They ship with the tension springs both on the master pedal, but you can easily move it to the slave pedal and leave it there. 2 hex bolts remove the slave part, and the drive shaft comes off with two drumkey screws.

If you are a regularly gigging drummer, be sure to set some practice time up with your new Axis pedals because they will play quite differently than your Mapex pedals. They might feel less powerful and awkward at first, but once you get comfortable with them you will be doing stuff you once thought impossible with them. It took me about 3 weeks of active practice to get comfortable with mine, but they changed my whole drumming style for the better. Well worth it!

Good luck!

Back