Drumming milestone

k3ng

Silver Member
I cracked my first cymbal in 10 years of playing!

It's a 'el cheapo' cymbal so it doesn't really bug me. What I AM surprised about is the way it cracked. I was playing my cymbal and I noticed the sound was different. I checked the edges and they were fine. So I thought it was the stand. But it wasn't. It cracked like this.

Question, what was the cause of the crack? Just so that I can make sure it doesn't happen again. (Never seen it crack like this before. Normally I see the edge crack)

congrats, ermmm... :)

I'd say there were probably imperfections in the bronze (being a cheaper cymbal), so the stress made it crack around some of the lathing grooves. it's tough to say, though.

I cracked my first cymbal in 10 years of playing!

It's a 'el cheapo' cymbal so it doesn't really bug me. What I AM surprised about is the way it cracked. I was playing my cymbal and I noticed the sound was different. I checked the edges and they were fine. So I thought it was the stand. But it wasn't. It cracked like this.

Question, what was the cause of the crack? Just so that I can make sure it doesn't happen again. (Never seen it crack like this before. Normally I see the edge crack)
That USUALLY happens from hitting the cymbal "edge on" instead of a glancing blow. But if you haven't cracked any in ten years, I'd say it was the inferior workmanship of the inexpensive cymbal.

How do I KNOW?? Well, I confess, I'm an "edge on" player and I've literally cracked dozens of cymbals. :(

Back