Brass Snare Video - Slingerland Gene Krupa and Ludwig Supraphonic

I prefer the Slingerland but I would like to hear the Luddy without stock heads. I have never liked Ludwig heads.

I prefer the Slingerland but I would like to hear the Luddy without stock heads. I have never liked Ludwig heads.

Thanks for the feedback. I just got the Supra used a week ago (in brand new condition) in a trade. The guy had a reverse dot head on it with Puresound 30 snare wires. It didn't sound good to me at all, so I put it back to stock to tweak it. I do have an Ambassador here for it, though. I think I'll put that on soon.

I expected to like the Supra so much more that I'd sell the Slingerland, but both snares are different and great sounding to me. Should probably keep both around!

I would like to hear them both tuned at the same frequency or tone. They sound good in their own way but its difficult to tell with one tuned so much lower than the other.

I would like to hear them both tuned at the same frequency or tone. They sound good in their own way but its difficult to tell with one tuned so much lower than the other.

Thanks. Yeah, this was really just to show how I have both of them setup and the sound differences. I have been messing with the Supra alot, though. I just put on an Ambassador batter head and am experimenting with tuning. It seems like a never ending thing (tweaking a snare drum.)

There's just something about thta Slingerland that sounds so good! The Supra sounded good alright but the Gene Krupa has such a great round tone with a healthy serving of spice. Let me know if you ever want to sell that little sweetherat.

both sounded great. to me the Sling sounded more controlled, focussed, 'tame' and less a 'wild' and open sound than the Supra. I could hear the snare wires way more on the Supra, and am guessing they were set at very different tension, but its also lighter build right?

I think old Slingerland snares are hidden secrets. Not many talk them up or flaunt them ( say compared to the classic "BB") but they are solid snares, that can be gotten for some pretty good prices on ebay.

Both sound great. I would pitch the supra up a bit, and also tighten those snares on the Slingy a little more...but I WOULD NOT sell either of them. You might consider removing the rubber gaskets under the lugs on the Supra if you wanted to open her up a bit more.

Both sound great. I would pitch the supra up a bit, and also tighten those snares on the Slingy a little more...but I WOULD NOT sell either of them. You might consider removing the rubber gaskets under the lugs on the Supra if you wanted to open her up a bit more.

Thanks everyone. I really do like both of these snares. I find myself favoring one or the other, depending on my mood. LOL

I have thought about removing the rubber gaskets under the lugs on the newer Supra. I would not complain at all if the tone opened up a bit more. I should try that sometime...

both sounded great. to me the Sling sounded more controlled, focussed, 'tame' and less a 'wild' and open sound than the Supra. I could hear the snare wires way more on the Supra, and am guessing they were set at very different tension, but its also lighter build right?

I think old Slingerland snares are hidden secrets. Not many talk them up or flaunt them ( say compared to the classic "BB") but they are solid snares, that can be gotten for some pretty good prices on ebay.

Surprisingly, the Slingerland doesn't have really pronounced "snares" like the Supra. Not sure what that's all about? I have a 30 strand snare thingy that would probably work perfect on the Slingerland. It's a bit overbearing on the Supra.

And yeah, the old Slingerland is a heavier build for sure!

I like them both, but in this vid, with those tunings, I thought the Ludwig had more life to it.

Back