Steve Jordan w/ Clapton tonight on the Sandy relief show.

that cat F'n killed it!!!!!!!

I would watch that performance over and over

that was F ing awesome !!!!

that cat slayed

What, no link? A thread that promises an "absolutely SLAMMING!" Steve Jordan live with old Slowhand and no damned link? Is this a sick joke?

Man, you guys are cruel!!

What, no link? A thread that promises an "absolutely SLAMMING!" Steve Jordan live with old Slowhand and no damned link? Is this a sick joke?

Man, you guys are cruel!!

it just happened live....give it a few hours to surface

it really was a killer performance

Steve was ridiculous

Man drummers' got no love for hip-hop guys, lol.

I think Kanye sticks out from a lot of that crowd in that all his songs don't sound alike. He experiments and changes things up, which is one of my favorite aspects of musicianship.

He may not be great live, it sounds like he wasn't, but I do like what I've heard of his studio work.

Steve Jordan KILLED IT with Clapton! So much pocket. So groovy. And yes, Willie Weeks!! I love those guys. That's a power trio for the Gods.

Last edited:
Man drummers' got no love for hip-hop guys, lol.

I think Kanye sticks out from a lot of that crowd in that all his songs don't sound alike. He experiments and changes things up, which is one of my favorite aspects of musicianship.

He may not be great live, it sounds like he wasn't, but I do like what I've heard of his studio work.

I love hip hop bro......it raised me.....hop hop and I are about the same age ...we came up together ......I still keep my ear to the underground and listen for all the good rumblings on the rise.........it is in my blood stream as was the first type of music that I discovered on my own with no outside influence and for that it stays close to my heart for the past 30 years ....

but Kanye was horrible last night

A decent amount of hip-hop is very insightful and masterfully done. A lot of people don't realize that the pioneers of hip-hop and most of its earlier stars were classically trained musicians and very smart people.

Now it seems like anyone who can rhyme is an aspiring rap artist. Lyrically and rhythmical most hip-hop now'a'days very elementary and plain ol'fashioned ignorant blather.

Last edited:
A decent amount of hip-hop is very insightful and masterfully done. A lot of people don't realize that the pioneers of hip-hop and most of its earlier stars were classically trained musicians and very smart people.

smart people? absolutely .....classically trained? not so much

this music came from the streets of the South Bronx and much like bebop 30 years prior was the soundtrack to the poverty, and struggle of the NY streets

I wouldn't call Grandmaster Flash, Kool Herc, Bambaataa, Lovebug Starski, Melle Mel , Spoonie Gee or Kurtis Blow classically trained anything...... but pioneers? ...yes.....

Last edited:
Peep the username, bro. Sorry to respond a few days later, but I just saw some of those replies.

I listened to nothing but hip-hop from the ages of about 8 or 9 till 17. Everything from Tribe to Public Enemy to Common to Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco Atmosphere, Jay-Z. Actually, probably a lot of newer artists than old school guys, but I had my fair share of classics.

Not only was Questlove the reason I started playing drums, but he made me start going back to the hip hop that came before The Roots that inspired them, (Tribe, De La, PE, etc.) and then to go further back and start listening to all the James Brown, Curtis Mayfield, Stevie Wonder, and Tower of Power that they sampled.

I like to think I'm pretty well schooled in hip-hop, but that Kanye West performance was just atrocious! I could list a handful of artists that would fit the bill for an event like that much better than he could

Artists from New York would be a good idea (Jay-Z and Alicia Keys singing "Empire State of Mind" would have been pretty powerful), The Roots would have rocked an incredible set, being a live band and becoming as popular as they have, especially in New York since joining with Fallon. Nas could have done New York State of Mind, I Know I Can, The World is Yours, If I Ruled the World, and Black President and would have had a standing ovation.

Kanye West's set, as I heard from many people who were there, was the perfect time to use the restroom and get more beer.

I already went into great detail to my overzealous Kanye-fan-friends about why his was so inappropriate and in poor taste. Whoever decided he should be on the ballot should be (no exaggeration) fired.

smart people? absolutely .....classically trained? not so much

this music came from the streets of the South Bronx and much like bebop 30 years prior was the soundtrack to the poverty, and struggle of the NY streets

I wouldn't call Grandmaster Flash, Kool Herc, Bambaataa, Lovebug Starski, Melle Mel , Spoonie Gee or Kurtis Blow classically trained anything...... but pioneers? ...yes.....

I suppose "most" was a bit of an exaggeration, but I know of a few who were born to classically trained parents, and/or did make it through a music program. I'll be back with more specifics

Back