Sonor SQ2 or DW Collector‘s? Please help!

Rítmico

Hi,

My name‘s Marcos, I‘m from Brazil, and I‘m preparing to buy a new drumset.
I want buy my drums in another country (UK or USA), because here in Brazil a high end kit it‘s too expensive.

It‘s impossible for me test these drums to choice the best drum sound (if it exists). I never saw a Sonor SQ2 here. There are a DW in a near music store, but we can‘t try the drums...

I like the Gavin Harrison‘s drum sound, who use Sonor‘s drums but, DW has the most beautiful finishes and a great sound too.

I need a versatile kit because I like to play rock (porcupine tree, David Gilmour), jazz-funk (incognito) and Gospel (Ron Kenoly).

If you already play these drums, please, voice your opinion and help me to decide.

Money is not the problem.

The drum sizes that I want is:

Bass Drum 22" x 18" (No mount)
Tom Tom 8" x 7"
Tom Tom 10" x 8"
Tom Tom 12" x 9"
Floor Tom 14" x 12"
Floor Tom 16" x 14"

Than you.

This is a big but very relivant question and there is no real "right answer".

To me Sonors high end kits are a cut above almost everything on the planet.

Their build is simply second to none and their sound is epic.

True though, Sonors finish availability is lacking for some reason. I dont really know why, but it is true as far as I know.

DW has so many more finishes available that its not even funny.
+, There seems to be more DWs availible than Sonor so it might be better to get one because of the pure availability of parts and add on drums, etc.

bottom line, you really cant go wrong on either so just get the one you like better.

Heres a question. Would you rather have a Cadillac or a Mercedes?.

JMO.

Hi Marcos, & welcome to the forum. Both kits are lovely instruments. I've owned high end Sonor kits, but never SQ2. I've never owned a DW kit. That said, I've played both SQ2 and DW Collectors. Based purely on quality of construction, I think the SQ2 shines above the DW. A comparison on sound is very difficult because of the huge selection of shell types offered by Sonor. Good luck with your search, although I would encourage you to include other options, such as high end custom makers offering stave, segmented & steambent single ply shells.

I have never played an SQ2. I own a DW collectors and i love it. I have had the pleasure of owning a few really good kits and the DW is my favorite. I have no desire to own an SQ2. IU dont know why -- they appear to be great drums. I am happy with what I have and would buy another DW in an instant.

My SQ2 kit is the nearly the same size as youre looking at, mine is in maple (medium thk) and it ALWAYS gets comments on the sound. I have yet to play a gig without someone catching me and mentioning how good the sound is. I use Evans G2 over G+ and love the deep, boomy sound. The drums are very responsive to touch...if you bang em, you get a heavy, heavy sound....but they are light enough to play jazz on. The versatility is wonderful and the Sonors will be my last kit.....expensive, sure...but worth every penny.

8x7
10x9
12x10
14x14
16x16
22x18 no mount

F

Hello guys,
Thanks for the coments.
Florian I always read your posts on "Gavin Harrison Here" forum.
I bought a Sonor Gav Harrison signature snare drum, and really like it. very sensitive and great sound.

Another doubt is about the thickness of the shells.

If I take Sonor, I‘ll probably choice thin shells for rack toms, medium for the floor toms, and medium or heavy for bass drum. Wath do you think about?
Anybody has experience with vintage shells, like Delite??? For wich drum is vintage shells better?

If I take DW, I‘ll probably choice "x" shells for 8" tom, 10" and 12" "VLT", 14" "X" and 16" "X" or "VLX". Bass drums "X".

But I‘m not sure if is a good idea put reinforcement rings. I don‘t want a choke sound on my toms. I‘ll very apreciate opinions about it.

Thanks guys,

Marcos

Marcos,
I have a vintage maple SQ2 kit and absolutely love the sound. No choking for sure. I was originally looking at the Delite, but opted for the Q's as they were not much more money. Plus they have a wider variety of finishes and endless configuration options. DW does make some great looking and sounding drums, but there is something very special about Sonor drums that any Sonor player can attest to. Also of mention, they take approx. 5-6 months (here in the US) from order to doorstep. 100% worth the wait.
Cheer,
D

No brainer: Sonor SQ2 all the way. DW makes some nice drums, but Sonor's history and prestige/quality on the higher-end kits is pretty well unmatched. The Sonor Designers were the cat's meow: even the strictest and snobbiest of drum dealers I have met swear that their major pro clients and average players all loved the Designers without fault. The SQ2's are the replacement for the Designers--not the same thing, but close.

If you have the money, I'd choose Sonor.

I think a good comparison can be made in reference to cars as 'Braincramp' has done.

The DW kits are like the cars on 'pimp my ride'; they've got TV's in the head-rests, spinners on the wheels, Neon etc. All saying; 'look at me! look at me!'

The Sonor SQ2 on the other hand is an Aston Martin ... no ... James Bonds' Aston Martin: completely custom made for him, for his uses, constucted using finest materials and craftmanship ... but it doesn't shout about it, and that's part of it's class.

Sonor SQ2's exeed everything on the market today in every respect.

I think a good comparison can be made in reference to cars as 'Braincramp' has done.

The DW kits are like the cars on 'pimp my ride'; they've got TV's in the head-rests, spinners on the wheels, Neon etc. All saying; 'look at me! look at me!'

The Sonor SQ2 on the other hand is an Aston Martin ... no ... James Bonds' Aston Martin: completely custom made for him, for his uses, constucted using finest materials and craftmanship ... but it doesn't shout about it, and that's part of it's class.

Sonor SQ2's exeed everything on the market today in every respect.

This might be the most ridiculous analogy i have read on this forum. How are DW's, made of wood, lugs, hardware and heads like "spinners and TV's in the head rests"???

furthermore, how is an SQ2, made of wood, lugs, hardware and heads, like a James Bond Aston Martin???

Seriously, people, say what you want, but DW's are great drums. Sonors are great drums. But this is just SO stupid. Both are great -- buy what you want and can afford. If DW makes the drums or offers things the SQ2 doesn't, well there's your answer. And vice versa. There are plenty of great drummers that play both. One thing is for certain, neither set will make you a better drummer.

So go write a big check to one of those companies, and take pictures and post them here so we all have something to drool over.

My doubt is about the sound. I think that DW produces a smoth sound, and maybe more sustain. And Sonor produces more atack and a short sound...
But i‘m not sure if this is an - tuning, heads, studio, PA, mic, mixer, software - effect, or it‘s because the drums.
I like both qualities, the deep sound of DW and the presence and atack of Sonor.
I need try both drums and choose the best sound for me. But I can‘t do it because where I live these kind of high level drums does not arrive frequently and we can‘t do a real test in music stores.

This is the reason to ask in drummerworld forum.

If somebody already try or have these drums, plese give me your opinion.

Tks

My doubt is about the sound.

Tks

Ritmico.. I believe you are going to need alot more money for an SQ2... If you want to spend equivalent money to a DW, then you need to go with Delite series.. Thin shell with reinforcement hoops. Probably way too much more sustain than you will need...

Also.. if you want to talk to a drum store who sells/sold ALOT of both.. then call this guy.. and he will give you really good insight..
Shane at Drum Center Portsmouth.. U.S. 1-603-319-8109

Last edited:
Keep coming back to this forum, and see bias over a certain drum company (myself included)
I myself am a Sonor guy, I don't own a SQ2 nor probably never will (way too much money)
I do own an S Classix and love them, and can honestly say will never sell them.
I have played many DW kits and have enjoyed hitting them, in fact my very first drum set was a Camco back in the day and it was great. Both companies are top notch, I just believe that overall Sonor is a better product (IMO that is) Having played DW classics, collector series, they just tonally didn't do it for me for the price, I was expecting more.
The Sonor seamed to sing when I hit them they just had that extra something....
Now that the sound had been established (which is most important) then it came to the looks.
Not sure if I'm alone here but the Sonor drums look WAY better than DW. I myself just can't get around those big round lugs DW has, they look like those awful hats the band Devo wears.
Look at the money situation you have and go from there, I even recommend looking into a good used kit, these types of drums people don't tend to thrash on, 9 times out of ten besides the heads these drums are kept in great condition.
And from my experience better drums DO make you a better player.... Why???
Well from my experience from having great and crap drums I can tell you, you will play the nice ones more not the crap ones, money does come into play of course, but if you hit something and it sounds like shit, then the chances of you continuing to hit it is slim, however if you hit something that sounds great the chances of you continuing to hit it are good.
Since owning my Classix I have put countless hours behind it getting my chops more solid than ever before....

Back