Travis Barker

Hello everyone! Love this forum. I'm usually a lurker and don't post but I thought I'd offer my quick comment here. First of all, I think this thread has gotten long enough. haha! I like Travis Barker, I do. He's a tight drummer... clean, etc. I like Blink OK but I'm not a big fan. I will say this, Travis Barker is no drum god. Watch his drum "solo" on Orange County's website and tell me how amazing it is. Just kidding. It's not. I didn't see alot of soloing there... just playing different beats and some other basic stuff. Anyone who thinks he's the greatest should expand their listening and check out some real drummers. Peace out.

bill

If you are wondering why Travis is known for his rudiments, there is only ONE VIDEO to see of him and that is when he played "There Is" live at the Jay Leno Show with Box Car Racer back in aorund 2002 or so. If you HAVEN'T seen this video do not judge him on any other videos of his rudiments. This video will blow you away.

P.S. It's funny to read how all the administrators think they can play Travis's songs. Maybe "All The Small Things," but I can bet anything you can't play "There Is" live.. hahah

DWDrummer said:
P.S. It's funny to read how all the administrators think they can play Travis's songs. Maybe "All The Small Things," but I can bet anything you can't play "There Is" live.. hahah
I'm glad you had a nice chuckle, but Nutha Jason is the only Admin who said that he covers one of Blink's songs. If you think it's funny that Nutha Jason is an actual gigging drummer and not a Travis fan-boy, then you have quite a way to go. Stick to your drumming, kiddo.

No, I wasn't talking about him. And I'm not trying to "make fun" of any of you. I read a post about one of you administrators, degrading Travis and calling his drumming weak (or using a metaphore that was basically calling it weak). I just think it's funny how someone could say that. That's all.

DWDrummer said:
No, I wasn't talking about him. And I'm not trying to "make fun" of any of you. I read a post about one of you administrators, degrading Travis and calling his drumming weak (or using a metaphore that was basically calling it weak). I just think it's funny how someone could say that. That's all.
As I said, there are only two Admins here. Neither of us has degraded Travis, and neither of us has called his drumming "weak." I think it's funny how someone keeps repeating themselves when they are clearly mistaken. Stick to the subject at hand, please.

DWDrummer said:
In the Funky Primer by Charles Dowd, he stresses the importance of musicianship. He explains that musicianship is the respect by a musician towards all branches of music (jazz,rock.etc). If people like Dowd despise Travis Barker type drummers, then isn't he contradicting his stressing of the importance of musicianship by hating pop rock?

No, he means that no matter what the style of music you are playing, you should bring the highest levels of musicianship to the table. At the time he wrote that book, rock bands like Steely Dan, Toto, Journey, Chicago et. al. were all popular, and all had very famously great drumming. Mr. Dowd himself can shred a drumset! I don't want to speak for Mr. Dowd, but having learned from him personally, I would say that MY disdain for Barker's playing stems from the sameness of his strokes and beats, and overall unmusical feel

(to bring it back on topic, feel free to remove if too off topic)

on listening to some blink tracks i can see what stu is saying. the drums often seem to be their own seperate entity and not really involved enough with the rest of the music. the only exception i can find to this is the slightly beat-skipped snare in "all the small things". other thna that, it seems he keeps to his own thing for most of the songs.

Whether his grooves are musical or not is very debatable. Here is a small sample that shows what I like from him, and by the same token actually what others may dislike…

0-20s Nice opening tom groove.

20s-40s More conventional groove. He inserts some ride accents through the washy hi-hat. Again, I like it, but could be judged overplayed by others.

40s-56s Nice hi-hat work

1.15 - 1.23 Open rolls in the groove. Pretty tight, and fits well IMO

1.33 Back to the tom groove. I think adding the second hi-hat gliss was too much here…

Quite a lot of stuff going on in that sample. Overplayed ? May very well be to some ears. But in many portions of that small sample, he is actually holding most of the song all by himself… The guy is trying pretty hard to come up with new stuff, and I would guess he is fairly aware of the "rules" he sometimes breaks while doing so. This "boldness" fits pretty well the essence of what I think punk rock should be all about anyway.

Attachments

• sample_not now.mp3
    2.4 MB · Views: 721
Shuffle, that was neither the worst nor the best example I've ever heard, but thanks for breakin' in down the way you hear it.

I liked the hit hat groove part. The rest was too much for me (oddly enough, the one part where you don't have a comment :56-1:23 is actually the most fitting part of the song.) Nothing fancy, no "hey look at me, I'm Travis B." stuff, just a straight forward hard grooving punk beat that fits the song perfectly.

The tom stuff is just tooo toooooo tooooooooooo much.

I like the hi-hat glisses, but like you said, a bit too much the second time around.

The open rolls in the groove seem completely out of place, a sort of after thought. It seems the normal beat was just too boring for him. Maybe he should try to throw some ghost notes in once in a while, instead of full on 32nd note single stroke rolls at 18 inch stroke height? Maybe?

Anyone else care to comment?

Stu_Strib said:
(oddly enough, the one part where you don't have a comment :56-1:23 is actually the most fitting part of the song.) Nothing fancy, no "hey look at me, I'm Travis B." stuff, just a straight forward hard grooving punk beat that fits the song perfectly.

Yeah, that part is fine. But could the song work if he kept it plain that way all along ?

Of course, he spices it A LOT, often too much for my own taste. I chose that song specifically because, in that case, I think the answer is no.

Stu_Strib said:
Maybe he should try to throw some ghost notes in once in a while, instead of full on 32nd note single stroke rolls at 18 inch stroke height? Maybe?

Not sure ghost notes work so well within the dynamics of the genre...

Stu_Strib said:
Shuffle, that was neither the worst nor the best example I've ever heard, but thanks for breakin' in down the way you hear it.

I liked the hit hat groove part. The rest was too much for me (oddly enough, the one part where you don't have a comment :56-1:23 is actually the most fitting part of the song.) Nothing fancy, no "hey look at me, I'm Travis B." stuff, just a straight forward hard grooving punk beat that fits the song perfectly.

The tom stuff is just tooo toooooo tooooooooooo much.

I like the hi-hat glisses, but like you said, a bit too much the second time around.

The open rolls in the groove seem completely out of place, a sort of after thought. It seems the normal beat was just too boring for him. Maybe he should try to throw some ghost notes in once in a while, instead of full on 32nd note single stroke rolls at 18 inch stroke height? Maybe?

everything you hate about his playing is what i love... i cant get enough of his busy drumming...it dosnt sound out of place to me... just my opinion..its all taste anyway..

hey, what happened to the post count for this thread.. its down to like 300 somethign.. was around mid 400s....????

Re: Travis Barker Sticks

when i played in a punk band i used these, almost impossible to break. I liked the thick and powerful feel but they seemed lighter than other sticks of the same thickness.

there was prbably too many "travis is teh roxorzz" posts.
my favourite drumming of travis' is probably "man overboard".
simple but effective.

okay, first off, i dont want any trouble or to get into any arguements. let me just say that i am 16 and have been playing drums for 6 years, and Travis was one of my major influences when i was starting out, and i really didnt even like blink 182 that much. But after i had been playing for about two years, i started to get bored with some of his stuff. I started looking at a lot more technical players like buddy, steve gadd, dave weckl, vinnie, neil peart etc and started to play a lot more of their stuff. ever since i started to play their stuff my playing has improved greatly, and i am much more inspired to play drums. Travis is a great drummer, but i have to agree that he is much over rated among teen drummers like myself. He is big, fast(not really) loud and flashy, whichc is perfect for a lot of people, just not me.

buccaneer said:
okay, first off, i dont want any trouble or to get into any arguements.
Hey man, don't worry about that. What you find about this forum that's different from the rest is that drummerworld doesn't really argue, it discusses. And you get to do it with good guys. Also nobody has to "get over it" about anything as long as they can make a good point or two. That's why I like it here.

This includes Travis. And when real flaming goes on, it's stopped pretty quick. This is a very civilized group. It's not like some of those crazy sights you see all over the net where people just go insane on each other and nobody stops it.

The other thing about this forum I like are the number of very smart people here. You can learn alot if you let yourself be taught. But more important than that, there are alot of very hot pro drummers here including some famous ones. So this forum including the videos is really educational.

When some guys come on here for the first time and take on a vibe assuming that we don't get stuff or we can't follow Travis's blazing rudiments, or how one of the newer guys thought it was funny that somebody on drummerworld would think they could play "There Is," then the joke's really on them. Here, there are alot of guys who can and do and don't need to impress anybody.

Back