My Soon-to-be Set-up.

drummerforlife

By the end of the summer I plan to get this set-up.

Tama Rockstar 8-Piece Double Bass

Tom-toms:
8",10" 12"

Floor Toms:
14", 16"

14" snare

Cymbals:

Zildjian ZXT Rock Cymbals:

14" Hi-Hats
20" Ride
16" Crash
18" China
10" Splash
18" Crash

and a zht 14" crash to top it off.

Now is that a good set up or what? lol

You can do better. The rockstars are great, but you could probably get a higher end kit for the price of them ($850 right?). Are you getting the rockstars just because of how many pieces there are?

Also, the ZHT's in my opinion are a horrible investment quality-wise. I got an 18" ZHT china because I liked the sound, but knew it would probably break pretty easily. It was only $100 though, so whatever. I just think that you can get quality cymbals for the price of all those zht's.....

As I'm reading it, I'm thinking "yeah, this guy's going to have a blast with this kit!" But then I get to the cymbals, and I have to point out that you can't really get any more beginner/low quality than the ZXTs. I'm thinking you're probably not a pro player, which is perfectly fine! So I'm not going to tell you to wait and buy A Customs, Ks, or AAXs/HHXs. That being said, I strongly recommend you look into Sabian's Xs20 cymbals. Waayy better quality than the ZXTs, ZBTs, or even ZHTs! You can use them for rock, metal, jazz, runk, you name it, and they're made from cast bronze (B20 alloy), a metal normally used in pro-level cymbals. It's apparent you want quite a few cymbals, which is perfectly acceptable, but I think you should look into these:

Sabian Xs20 Super Set http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sabian-XS20-Cymbals-Super-Set-with-Free-10-Splash-18-Crash?sku=581615

14" Hats
20" Ride
14" Crash
16" Crash
18" Crash
10" Splash

and since you want a china get one (or two) of these: http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Wuhan-China-Cymbal?sku=442700

Great sound on those Wuhans, and most of the sizes are under $100!

Hope that helped, but overall don't waste money on those ZXTs, you'll only be wanting to replace them in a year or two. Get the Xs20s and Wuhans instead, you'll be WAY happier in the end!

look into maybe pearl visions, pdp fs, or gretsch catalina maple with some sabian xs20s. less drums but higher quality. I have xs20s and are awesome for the price they are a little bit more expensive than zhts but its worth it. oh and look for used stuff on craigslist and ebay you can get great drum kits and cymbals for very cheap the way the economy is now...good luck:)

Why discourage to buy Rockstars? I've been playing them for almost 3 years now and I love them. If you want those sizes; go for it. Don't settle for less drums than you want. Even though it's fun to play a 4 piece, if you really want a 7 piece you should do it.

Definitely go for the Rockstars, they are great drums both in quality and sound, especially for their price range. I would agree with the others for sure, go with better quality cymbals (this coming from a guy who bought damn zildjian pitch blacks, ugh). Maybe even just stick with a 5 piece Rockstar and get higher level cymbals. Even though you'd have less drums, a 5 piece kit still gives you endless creative options for fills. I enjoy big kits ( 7 pieces and up) but I really think that people with bigger kits rely on the amount of drums too much and less on musicianship and creativity.

But there is nothing wrong with big kits, just my personal taste. If thats what you want, go get it.

Back