Studio pic! My beastly Sonor Designers...

D

DamoSyzygy

I went into the studio yesterday to record with a country badn that Im in, and it reminded me just how nice my kit looks, set up.

I didn't bring it all with me as it was a pretty rushed session and I simply didnt need it all, but I thought I'd share a shot or two, for the sake of having a new shot of it :)

Enjoy.

Its a custom Sonor Designer kit.
Heres what I used for the recording...

22x18 kick
10x8 tom
12x9 tom
16x16 floor tom
14x5 snare

Sabian HHX Evolution 16" Crash
Sabian HHX Evolution 18" Crash
Sabian HHX Legacy 18" Crash
Sabian 14" Prototype Hats
Sabian 21" HH 21" Medium Heavy Ride

Aquarian Coated Super-2 heads on toms
Aquarian Texture Coated Focus-X with Power Dot on snare
Aquarian Superkick1 on kick.

kit1.jpg

kit2.jpg

Very beautiful! Some of the best sounds from gear out there.

Hey, Damo. That's a beautiful kit, mate.

Did you choose to use different timbers for the different sized toms or did you opt for the same timber right across the kit?

Cheers!

Did you choose to use different timbers for the different sized toms or did you opt for the same timber right across the kit?
Heya Dave. I didnt really have a type of wood in mind, as Id never built a kit before - Id only played a hell of a lot of them. I did, however, have a very specific sound I was looking for.

I decribed what I was looking for to the Sonor guys and let them make the decision as to what would be best for me. After all, theyve been building drums longer than anybody.

They ended up making the kit from Vintage Shelled (thin) maple, and I couldnt be happier about the sound.

The bubinga veneer and fade was something I designed. The initial inspiration for it came from one of Terry Bozzios earlier kits. It turned out completely differently to his, but that was kinda the point!

Back