Opinions wanted on 2 Gretsch Renown deals

incrementalg

Gold Member
I've found two deals on Gretsch renown shell packs that interest me. One is the prior gen Renown and the other is the RN1I want to run them by the group for feedback. I'm not looking for you guys to make the decision for me...I'm looking for perspectives outside of my own, so I don't make a hasty decision.

Deal 1:
Gretsch RNE824 4 piece in Autumn Burst. Being sold as new, but with slight blemish which amounts to a handful of very fine scratches. Being sold by an authorized Gretsch dealer with full Gretsch warranty. $849 shipped.
Sizes are:
- 18" x 22" Bass Drum
- 8" x 10" Tom
- 9" x 12" Tom
- 14" x 14" Floor Tom

Deal 2:
Gretsch RN1-E604-CB 4 piece in Cherry Burst. Sold as new in the box...no blemishes or anything like that. $1,015 shipped.

10" x 7" tom
12" x 8" tom
14" x 14" floor tom
20" x 16" Bass Drum

The price on the RN1 is a helluva deal compared to everything else I've found online an in store for the RN1 shell packs.

Let me put my dilemma this way...Is the blemished set worth $849 shipped more than the RN1 set is worth $1,015? I don't expect to forego anything sound wise between the two. They'll both more than meet my needs. My plan is to pick up an extra tom or floor tom to make it a 6 piece, but that's down the road and as the opportunity presents.

Can I get your opinions on these options?

Thanks!

Does the bass drum size matter to you? Which color are you going to tire of. Either set is decently priced, and I have an 8 x 7 tom in that cherry burst color that I will sell at a good price if that helps. I don't think there is a big difference other than bass drum size.

The difference between a 20" and 22" bass drum is far bigger difference than slight blemish vs no slight blemish.

The bass drum height and depth of the mounted toms make a difference.

Personally, I like the RN1 sizes better. But there are plenty of people who would go the other way.
Just checked some prices, and that seems to be a really good deal on that RN1 too.

Do you have a set now?

I don't have an acoustic set now. I like both finishes. I've never owned a 20" bass drum. I've been reading groove pack reviews and as many videos as I can to try and get a feel for the sound. 20" Renown owners report being surprised at the oomph the 20 is capable of.

If I were to close my eyes and sit behind the kit, I'll have the same experience with both. Getting the experience for almost $200 cheaper is a good thing. Then again, having the RN1 setup so close in price looks so appealing.

Gruntersdad, did you sell your set?

Price vs. ergonomics - which has greater importance to you?

Before you put the money down, you should try to visit a store that has sets in both those sizes.
The brand doesn't really matter. You're just going to pull up a throne and see which set seems like it would be most comfortable for you to play.

Both sets you're considering seem to be good deals.

I would go for the new one, a few reasons:

I don't like the bulky tom mounts on the old models.

I like the shallower depth rack toms on the new model.

I would prefer a 22 kick but I also own 20 kicks and they're fine. If I could get an add on 8 and 16 I would go for them too. I really like that satin white finish, I'd see what they go for.

Price vs. ergonomics - which has greater importance to you?

Before you put the money down, you should try to visit a store that has sets in both those sizes.
The brand doesn't really matter. You're just going to pull up a throne and see which set seems like it would be most comfortable for you to play.

Both sets you're considering seem to be good deals.

I played a Marquee setup at GC and those were the in line with the blemished kit sizes. It felt really good size wise. I'm 6' 2" so the toms won't need to go terribly low, but I do like em on the low, flat side. They didn't have anything with a 20" for comparison.

I think you phrased it well. It's really about ergonomics and the feel of a 20" vs 22".

I would go for the new one, a few reasons:

I don't like the bulky tom mounts on the old models.

I like the shallower depth rack toms on the new model.

I would prefer a 22 kick but I also own 20 kicks and they're fine. If I could get an add on 8 and 16 I would go for them too. I really like that satin white finish, I'd see what they go for.

I love the white satin too. Pricing on that one is $1,400-$1,500 all around... I couldn't find any specials on that one.

I played on a Marquee set at GC this weekend, but didn't pay that much attention to the hardware weight. Maybe I should swing by GC tomorrow and mess with the new GTS holders.

I played a Marquee setup at GC and those were the in line with the blemished kit sizes. It felt really good size wise. I'm 6' 2" so the toms won't need to go terribly low, but I do like em on the low, flat side. They didn't have anything with a 20" for comparison.

I think you phrased it well. It's really about ergonomics and the feel of a 20" vs 22".

At 6' 2", you should be good to go with just about any sizes.

Might look a little funny with one of those miniature sized Sonor Martini kits though - LOL

I don't have an acoustic set now. I like both finishes. I've never owned a 20" bass drum. I've been reading groove pack reviews and as many videos as I can to try and get a feel for the sound. 20" Renown owners report being surprised at the oomph the 20 is capable of.

If I were to close my eyes and sit behind the kit, I'll have the same experience with both. Getting the experience for almost $200 cheaper is a good thing. Then again, having the RN1 setup so close in price looks so appealing.

Gruntersdad, did you sell your set?
No I still have my Renowns

I got to play on a 20" bass drum and liked the feel, but it wasn't enough to cause me to jump the 22" ship and focus on getting a 20". I passed on the RN1 Amazon deal and it expired...but not before dropping to $990, btw.

Searching on Ebay and I found a transparent Ebony shell pack for sale not 10 minutes from my house. Seller says they're in near perfect shape all around. Waiting to hear back from the seller about when I can take a look at them. Ebony wouldn't be my first choice, but the price is good. I doubt there are any problems with the drums, but I do have a little worry about buying a set as is. I bought a used set of Premier Signia and they seemed great at first inspection, but I ultimately found that two of the toms weren't true. I could never get them tuned well as a result.

The blemished Autumn Burst set is still available and I like that one too. The Gretsch arranty and a 45 day return policy are a bonus over a sold as is set. Based on pics, I've seen a lot of variation on the Autumn burst colors. Some have a great color to them while others look flat. Not sure if thats just the photos people post or if there is that much variation from year to year or set to set.

I've enjoyed reading this thread since I am strongly considering one of the leftover models being blown out on ebay. So, did you end up buying the used kit?

I guess any deals are pretty much a moot point. The wife just more or less put the brakes on my set purchase for now. Too many bills that we should pay first. She coulda made her feelings known a lot sooner. I wouldn't have been reaching out to sellers the way I have. I don't want to be a chain yanker or tire kicker.

If anyone is interested in the Autumn Burst blemish shell pack it's on zzounds.come for $849 free shipping.

Going to sell crap from my basement and garage to build up a drum fund. 1st up will be my Hart Dynamics set.

I sold my Hart Dynamics set. (Not without a lot of buyer induced headache)

I think I'm most interested in a cherry burst finish for the renowns. Of course if a super deal in autumn burst comes along I might go for that, but for now I'll be patient and watch for a cherry burst set.

On that note I found a used 5 piece cherry burst shell pack on the guitar center site. They're from 2007 and priced at $899. A little hi for a 7 year old set?

Any key differences between the renowns in 2007 and the last year of he previous gen renowns?

Any key differences between the renowns in 2007 and the last year of he previous gen renowns?

The biggest change has been from the RN to then RN1. The tom mounting suspension system has changed. The shells are no different, though it does not appear that there are new pure wood variants hitting the shelves (yet). There Renowns are as close to a USA custom as you can get for under $1000. Gretsch also had a line called the "New Classic" if you want a vintage feel. They were on $1000 blow-out not that long ago.

My RN series Renowns still blow me away, and have made doing my hand-to-foot exercises a joy.

I went back and re read the Gretsch literature that a previous poster shared and found that it was dated Jan 2007. Doesn't look like any significant changes in the line between '07 and '12 or whenever the last run of prior gen renowns was.

I'm calling the GC that has the kit to make an offer.

Back