Thomas Lang bass drum practice pad thingy?

Mark_S

Silver Member
Anyone know what Thomas Lang is using in his DVD "Creative Control" on his practise pad set up? He has a few pads set up for his hands, and then something else for his feet. It's the set up for his feet I'm interested in - I really need to sort out my bass drum technique, I've had an issue with leg tension for years and it is killing the groove :-(

Re: Thomas lang bass drum practise pad thingy?

Anyone know what Thomas Lang is using in his DVD "Creative Control" on his practise pad set up? He has a few pads set up for his hands, and then something else for his feet. It's the set up for his feet I'm interested in - I really need to sort out my bass drum technique, I've had an issue with leg tension for years and it is killing the groove :-(

I have two of those things and they both have their purpose and they are both GREAT.

I have DW one, But my favorite is this one...

http://robbsbouldermusic.com/p-2812-hq-bass-drum-practice-pad-rfbass.aspx

This one has a very good feel and is very portable. Tryied them all, and this is the best.

Same here, I also have 2 kick pads. The 2nd is for reserve right now until I'll have a 2nd double pedal. Some guys build DIY pads, buying them is easier.

I have a Gibraltar practice pad, which works great. The advantage is that I can use my own pedals, so the feel is pretty much as it would be on my kit:
Gibraltar_GBDP.jpg

I also have two DW BOA Practice Pedals. I use these more, because they can stay permanently set up in my practice space (aka. basement), so that I don't have to constantly move my pedals from my kit in our rehearsal room to my basement. The feel is different, but they still work very nicely for general practice.
DWPADBOA_m.jpg

Thanks all, I'll probably give the Gibraltar one a try so I can use my own pedals.

I have the Gibraltar one. The felt side of my beaters had worn a bit and the thin plastic edge was heating up the rubber and it started wearing pretty quick. So I used some gaffer tape and an old t-shirt to keep it in good shape.

kickpadsmall.jpg

I have the Gibraltar one. The felt side of my beaters had worn a bit and the thin plastic edge was heating up the rubber and it started wearing pretty quick. So I used some gaffer tape and an old t-shirt to keep it in good shape.

kickpadsmall.jpg

Haha, nice. Thanks for the tip :)

On the kick practice pad by HQ Percussion (looks more or less identical with the Pearl BD10 - link see below), the RealFeel pad will wear quickly by the beaters - on my unit, first there were cracks and then the beaters created a depression on that (replaceable) pad zone. I'm not preparing buying a replacement pad zone but simply attached diverse foam (first some soft layers, then more rigid foam on the outside) on that spot with adhesive tape. The metal construction itself is very durable, no prob there.

Here's the Pearl BD10:
http://www.thomann.de/de/pearl_bd10_bassdrumpad.htm?sid=a5fdf7ea00ecbc658fb992413b609b42

In fact, I have a 2nd kick practice pad (2nd hand) by either Pearl or Collins, but with a non-replaceable very sturdy plastic/foam layer. I'll use that 2nd pad as soon as I'll have a 2nd double pedal and would attach more foam to get a softer practice sound. On my HQ pad I usually have a blanket on top, sounds better and reduces the rebound a bit.

Do these devices do any harm to your pedals? It seems a bit harsh to be pounding on a solid surface.

Nup.

The Gibraltar style pad actually has a bit of give. Which is pretty much why I prefer it......just offers a feeling that's closer to an actual drum head than the Pearl style pads do, IMHO.

Back