Just Bought a Ludwig Classic Maple - Need Snare

skreg

I just picked up my first professional quality kit, a Ludwig Classic Maple. 10, 12, 14, 16 toms and a 20 inch kick. Obviously, I am very excited - pics soon to come. It's a gold sparkle wrap, an instrument my instructor ordered last year.

I'm wondering if anybody has thoughts on a snare that might match this setup well? I'm looking at Supraphonics but am open to other ideas. Obviously, I'll be testing many different drums, but I'd like to have some suggestions so I cover my bases as I shop.

Thanks!

-sheldon

Ludwig choices I would make
Acrolite - if you are on a budget
Supraphonic - The classic , arguably the most recorded snare of all time.
Black Beauty - my absolute go to snare - incredibly versatile and just sounds amazing.
Tama Star Classic Aluminum - great snare for the dough - seamless shell sounds great.

Some others in wood that I like
Ludwig Classic maple - great drums in their pwn right but gets overshadowed by their metal shelled cousins.
Tama SLP Bubinga
Noble and Cooley SS -pricey but fantastic.

I very much like my Ludwig Classic Maple snare. After listening to a couple of dozen snare drums with my kit, I chose that one.

DSC_0552-1.jpg

Dennis

Nice! Have fun with the kit, it will serve you well!

I will echo all of Rick's suggestions. The BB is my go to snare for gigging, and has been for many years.

I LOVE the new Acro Classic in 6.5. Great sounding drum. I like that one in smaller, real "live" rooms. Great sound, and not as loud as a Brass can get, while still being a very satisfying sounding and feeling drum.

The N&C snare mentioned is pretty sweet , and the Tama Aluminum snare is a nice one too.

Lots of great ideas so far but the one I didn't see is my all time favorite snare; a 6.5" deep bronze Supraphonic.

I was going to add the Bronze 6.5, but it is another pricey drum, and I'd be a Ludwig fan boy without saying much else was (as) good. I won't make the mistake again :) :)

The Bronze is up there in price, but worth every penny IMO. It's my favorite drum for recording, and very satisfying drum in any application.

The CM snares is a great drum too, but it was mentioned, and people can drool over Dennis' kit.

Thanks for the help! I'll be picking up the kit next week, so I'll have pics then.

I think it would be great to have a matching CM snare, but I'm going to hold off on ordering that for now.

Some of the old aluminum Supra's are priced really low, which is catching my eye. But, the Tama Starclassics are also in the same price range. Since I'm planning to get the matching snare later, I'm not really too concerned about getting a particular brand on this purchase.

Also, I'm wondering if anybody has opinions about tom stands? I have the mounting hoops for the 10 and 12 inch toms - I need something to put them on.

-sheldon

I very much like my Ludwig Classic Maple snare. After listening to a couple of dozen snare drums with my kit, I chose that one.

DSC_0552-1.jpg

Dennis

Agree. Why get something different? I don't understand the use of a totally different snare than the kit. Classic maple kit, classic maple snare. Everyone on the same team..

I would order a matching Ludwig CM snare, and buy a used Supra or Acrolite to use for now and keep it for a backup.

Bingo. Do this. Only question is, do you want the classic maple snare to be 6.5 x 12, 6.5 x 14, or get both? I got both in red sparkle :)

Yup, lots of great thoughts here. I'm going to order a matchiing snare for the kit in April. In the meantime, I need to jam!

How does the Acrolite feel compared to the Supraphonic? I can pick up an Acro for CHEAP, which would help me get the other gear I need to really get this kit set up properly.

-sheldon

Ah, I did some homework and found out the Acro has the same alloy as the Supra, just without the shiny chrome finish. With any luck, I'll be picking one up for $125 tonight!

-sheldon

I wanted to echo what others have said and encourage your earlier stated intention to order a classic maple snare. I've got a CM kit with the CM snare and the snare is a killer. Mine's 6.5 x 14 and it sounds great tuned high, low or in-between.

Enjoy your new kit.

Back