Needing a new kit

I've had the same drum set for the past 6 years, so I definitely feel like I'm due for a new kit.
It's a cheap off-brand set. I've made due by getting a couple new snares: firecracker (5x12) and a Ludwig Standard (5.5x14), and upgrading the cymbals to Zildjian K's and A's.

I was thinking of getting something in the $1000 price range- give or take a hundred or two. I would only need a shell pack, because I've also upgraded hardware.

Some of the kit's I'm thinking about:
Gretsch Catalina Maple
PDP X7 Maple
PDP M5 Maple
Pearl Vision Birch

So I was wondering if anyone has ever had a chance to play any of these kits and what they thought of them. I'm leaning towards the Vision, but I'm not sold on it quite yet. I also like the fact that the newer model X7's are all maple. Or maybe I should consider a different kit other than these.

Given those choices, I'd go with X7 maple. Stay away from the M5...made in asia...I've heard nothing but bad things about it. The Gretsch would be my 2nd choice followed by the Vision.

Given those choices, I'd go with X7 maple. Stay away from the M5...made in asia...I've heard nothing but bad things about it. The Gretsch would be my 2nd choice followed by the Vision.
If you look around you can find a good, used Renown set for under 1000.00

Or a Yamaha Tour custom. I've seen them new for $999. I've seen used Oak Customs for around $1100 as well. Great drums!

If you look around you can find a good, used Renown set for under 1000.00

You could find many semi pro or professional kits for that price such tama starclassics or renowns. My local music shop has a four piece tama starclassic bubinga shell pack for 900 with a mail in rebate for 900 plus ten percent off for the holiday sale. If i had the cash it would be sitting down in my drum room.

Back