Jim Fernandez

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
This is a profile of a little known drummer, Jim Fernandez. He was born in 1916 in Oakland, California and passed away in 1994. He was my Father.

I was going through some of his old pictures the other day. And I found a lot of drumming stuff and Hollywood movie photographs. I thought you drummers would enjoy knowing just what a great career he had and what a great legacy he left behind. I will share just a few items with you.

Jim started playing drums when he was a small boy. Here he is in 1935 at age 19 on his front lawn in Oakland California:

File1054-vi.jpg

At ages 19 and 20 he went on two world cruises as a drummer in the ships band. He was in the US Army Band during WWII. He also toured around the country with several Orchestras and bands; Pete Pontrelli, Ray McKinley, Ted Fio Rito, and he even got to sit in for a few gigs with the Jimmy Dorsey Orchastra when they needed a drummer.

Check out this band he played in. I just love the look of the band and the décor.

WA-vi.jpg

In 1944 Jim moved to Los Angeles to be closer to the movie and music scene. Here is his glam shot that he used. It helped get him into the music business in Los Angeles:

WB-vi.jpg

He was in 23 movies and numerous TV shows. Usually he was recording the sound track or playing in the band in the “night club” scene. He was also a drum teacher for many years.
Here he is with Gene Krupa. The autograph says “To Jim, all the best, to a fine musician and a great guy, Gene Krupa”.

WC-vi.jpg

Here he is with Fred Astair in 1957 working on the movie Silk Stockings. The autograph says, “To Jimmy, my best wishes always, Fred Astair, 1957”.

WD-vi.jpg

In 1959 he was the drum coach for Sal Mineo for the movie The Gene Krupa Story. He had to learn the Gene Krupa drum parts and solos, chart them and then teach them to Sal Mineo. (When I was nine years old he took me to the studio and I watched them film several scenes for this movie)
Here he is helping Sal learn his drum part:

WE-vi.jpg

In 1959 he was in Pal Joey with Frank Sinatra, Rita Heyworth and Kim Novak. Here is Jim on the drums playing Zip with Rita Heyworth. Jim played on the actual recording and did all of the sound effects. And note, the drums are in front of the band!

http://youtu.be/gYZJfcyQ3oM

(By the way I still have all of the sound effect instruments that he used on this recording.)
Here he is with Frank Sinatra.

WF-vi.jpg

And finally, how would you like to give Kim Novak drum lessons.

WG-vi.jpg

And his drumming talent and legacy lives on with his son (me) Jim Jr., his Grandson Scott and his Great Grandson Jude.

Here I am in 1963 playing at a high school dance.

WJ-vi.jpg

Here is my son Scott playing in his punk band in 2013.

http://youtu.be/5ia0GsI3Rnc

And finally here is my 2 year old grandson Jude playing the drums with his uncle Scott.

http://youtu.be/x7tvDyUjw6w

I hope you enjoyed the pictures and the videos.

Incredible photos! You deserve to be proud of your dad!

Please tell me you've got some of those old drums!

BTW, I transitioned from Phoenix to L.A. 45 years ago, I still love it there and visit when I can. If you go pawn shopping for cool cymbals, and nobody has any, it's because I was probably just there! :)

Bermuda

Please tell me you've got some of those old drums!

BTW, I transitioned from Phoenix to L.A. 45 years ago, I still love it there and visit when I can. If you go pawn shopping for cool cymbals, and nobody has any, it's because I was probably just there! :)

Bermuda

Yeah, no wonder I can't find any cymbals in the pawn shops around here !

Oh I wish I had my Dad's old drums sets. He was able to snag the kit that Sal Mineo used in the movie The Gene Krupa Story. He gigged with it for many years.

I do still have two Slingerland kits that he brought in 1963. He brought one for me and one for himself.
And I am still using the old cymbals each week at the jam session. I really need to get some cymbals, but they are so darn expensive !

Wow, can't believe I just discovered this thread. As always Jim, thanks for sharing all these great pictures of your dad.

I really need to get out to Rip's and hang out with you at one of these jam nights. There still a few great pawnshops to score cymbals out here. My new treasures are a 22 Hand Hammered Manhattan and a 20" Carl Allen that Bermuda must have missed. I'll tell you of my favorite shop when I meet you in person, don't want to be posting my secrets online.

Looking at the video of your boy I can see that a thick head of hair is passed along the bloodline along with the drumming ability.

Wow, can't believe I just discovered this thread. As always Jim, thanks for sharing all these great pictures of your dad.

I really need to get out to Rip's and hang out with you at one of these jam nights. There still a few great pawnshops to score cymbals out here. My new treasures are a 22 Hand Hammered Manhattan and a 20" Carl Allen that Bermuda must have missed. I'll tell you of my favorite shop when I meet you in person, don't want to be posting my secrets online.

Looking at the video of your boy I can see that a thick head of hair is passed along the bloodline along with the drumming ability.

Thanks Red !

Yeah, that would be great ! Any Thursday at 8pm come on by.

Just found this because of the new thread today. What an incredible collection of photos and stories. Thanks for sharing and your son is good!

Jim I am so sorry I missed this. Pocket said it best, priceless.

Wow your Dad coached Sal Mineo. Sal did a GREAT job in that movie I thought. Your Dad really did a great job.

And Fred Astaire! You have quite the pedigree Mr. Fernandez.

Kim Novak! Lovin it. And he got the set from "The Gene Krupa Story"? Outrageous! Where is it now?

can't believe I had not seen this thread until now

such an amazing story and wonderful lineage

thanks so much for sharing Jim

And he got the set from "The Gene Krupa Story"? Outrageous! Where is it now?

Thank you so much for the compliments my friends.

There were a couple of drums sets used in the Gene Krupa movie. Sal Mineo got one and my Dad got one. I learned to play drums on it.
Eventually my Dad got rid of it and he brought himself and me a brand new 1963 Slingerland kit. I still have both of those Slingerland kits.

He let the kit go that was in the movie?

He let the kit go that was in the movie?

Yes.
For all I know he might have traded it for the two Slingerland kits.

I was only 9 years old. I would play whatever he had set up in his music room. I didn't know nothin'............

My Slingerland drum set was used in the movie "Honeymoon Hotel".

Dose that make it worth more than a few hundred dollars?

Here is a picture of it. Can you name all the people in the picture?

vb-vi.jpg

Back