The expensive drum stigma....

Fantastic! Now, the inevitable question for you: Can you throw me a bone on making these kits sound so good?

I have to ask if you're being sarcastic first.

I made my kit sound really good, but I'm not employing anything different than the usual tuning techniques everybody here probably already knows. Could be the heads? I used Remo Vintage Emperors top and bottom with a PowerStroke 3 on the bass. But I've had other kits and tried all kinds of different heads (black dots, pinstripes, ambassadors, evans g1's & 2's, etc.,....) and those all sounded ok too. In fact, there was no apparent difference to me when I listen back to various recordings I've made of myself over the years. Which begs another topic: Do different heads make a big difference? Apparently when it comes to me, it doesn't. No wonder Jeff Porcaro just used clear Ambassadors all the time. Damn. But that could be another long topic that I WON'T start.

So, yes, I could throw you a bone on how to do that, but you probably already know how to do that.

People of the world! Some guy on the internet thinks we need to wake up to the realization that globalization is killing local industries! EVERYBODY PANIC!!!

I'll panic when unemployment gets past 9% . . .

I've been playing out a lot with my Mapex Mbirch kit. Made in China . . . tunes nicely . . mics up nicely . . .plays nicely. Cost me 500 bucks.

As consumers, it isn't our job to buy products to protect our economy. It is our job to simply buy what is available to us, pay our bills and survive!
We elect people to do this for us! If they are not doing their job by setting tariffs on imported goods and providing a climate that promotes manufacturing and jobs then it is up to us to vote them out of office.
We are just pawns in the big game! I'm tired of being blamed for the poor judgement of our elected leaders! I buy what I can afford that works for me.
Let the government and industry leaders along with the people that are in charge earn their high salaries and fix the world economy.

Just remember this,They will starve shortly after we do! They can't wipe their own ass without us! They won't even have toilet paper to wipe it with! There will be no one left to make it for them!

Ok Bo Eder, You again have peaked my interest (with the whole drum head thing) and I think this thread is tired already. I think all the good points and bad points have been made and we should move on to a brand new thread on a new topic. Maybe we should start a whole new thread but I definately have some questions on the differences in drum head type, What heads to use with what type of wood,one ply VS two ply, dot or no dot, ring or no ring, muffling or no muffling...etc?.
And lets just pretend that we all know how to tune properly.

Ok Bo Eder, You again have peaked my interest (with the whole drum head thing) and I think this thread is tired already. I think all the good points and bad points have been made and we should move on to a brand new thread on a new topic. Maybe we should start a whole new thread but I definately have some questions on the difference in drum head type.....Anyone else feel me?.

It's been done.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60781

OK if it's all right with Bo, Its open season on drumheads.

There are double ply
there are 10 mil single ply
There are 7 mil single ply
There are 3 mil single ply snare bottom heads

There are coated and non coated heads.

All other heads are just versions of the above heads with things stuck to them and painted on them to muffle them, or there may be oil in between the two plies to dampen them.

There are really weird sounding stock heads that come with drum kits that usually suck! We throw those out when the kit arrives.

The end!

I've been playing out a lot with my Mapex Mbirch kit. Made in China . . . tunes nicely . . mics up nicely . . .plays nicely. Cost me 500 bucks.

Isn't unemployment already past 9%? I know in California it is. And everytime the news reports the government says everything's OK - I see more and more people losing their jobs or just not being able to make ends meet....

Isn't unemployment already past 9%? I know in California it is. And everytime the news reports the government says everything's OK - I see more and more people losing their jobs or just not being able to make ends meet....

Dont mean to panic Ken, but 9.50% as of June 2010. Though the lay offs have subsided somewhat, nobody really hiring yet.

Dont mean to panic Ken, but 9.50% as of June 2010. Though the lay offs have subsided somewhat, nobody really hiring yet.

After working with all kinds of people in a service business for the past 35 years, I have come to the conclusion that 5% of the people that I have worked with are not employable.
That means that unemployment is 4,5%
I should work in Washington, I can spin numbers with the best of them!

And not to lengthen this thread any longer, but I must let you all in and what happened today...

Today was the day I was going to pick up a new, semi-high-end snare drum. I had my sights on that Sonor Phil Rudd snare since it is a chrome over brass shell, with die cast hoops. I brought along my Force 3007 snare drum, a couple of drum keys and sticks, and set them up side-by-side.

The Phil Rudd is a definite replacement for a Rogers brass Dyna Sonic (so is the Tama Stewart Copeland). It's heavy, built really well, definitely worth the street price of $399.
So as I'm playing it, I'm making the Force snare sound the same via tuning - and at one point I got them to sound identical. That was weird. My Force drum has a tendency to ring alot (for a wood shell), and because it was the same size as the Phil, they rang at about the same frequency!

The seller was a little disappointed that I didn't buy the snare, but I think his eyes were opened up a bit when confronted with two drums outfitted with the same type of heads.

I'm still in the market for a brass shelled drum, or at least a steel one. I'm taking a look at one of those Sonor Delite steel snares (5x14, die cast hoops) soon. But those Ahead snare drums seem intriguing as well. And I can always fall back to the Tama Stewart Copeland. I figure there should be a big difference between steel and wood, that's my only criteria in having two different drums, just the material.

But for now, the Phil Rudd is out of the running. Shame.

And before anyone recommends it, I've already owned several Supraphonics and Black Beauties in my life time. So just for the sake of having something else, those are out. But as you can see, I'm trying to do my part and upgrade the snare....wouldn't it be refreshing if I never had to? Or at least started thinking that way?

But those Ahead snare drums seem intriguing as well.

I have a 14x6 Ahead, and it's a beauty of a drum. Currently, I'm watching a "used" one on eBay. They usually sell for $299 (actually, they appear to "not" sell, for that price), so my watching this "used" drum is for homework on my part. I'm thinking it will go for somewhere around $200.

I believe Roy Burns did a scientific study and found that 70% of a drum's sound is in the heads. I believe that if you can tune well you can make an entry level kit sound better than at least 95% of people's high end kits.

There's no getting around hardware's function and cymbal's sounds though...

I have a 14x6 Ahead, and it's a beauty of a drum. Currently, I'm watching a "used" one on eBay. They usually sell for $299 (actually, they appear to "not" sell, for that price), so my watching this "used" drum is for homework on my part. I'm thinking it will go for somewhere around $200.

I know the one you're talking about. But $299 isn't bad for the drum at all. I'm debating on the older one that's chrome on brass right now!

I have the exact same snare as yours,(Sonor Force 3007). It does the job ok but im looking into getting a new Pork Pie Little Squeeler 13"x 7" and or the same PP in a "12x5". What do you think of your 3007 snare?. Are you gonna keep it in your collection,sell it or trade it?.

Funny you should ask. I just posted a new thread for further controversial discussion on expensive snare drums here:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64940

It has a link to my playing of my Force snare for people to see if the drum could actually handle a gig or not.

I also posted something in the "Your Playing" area with my drum karaoke of Buddy's "Ya' Gotta Try", done entirely on brushes.

The 13x7 Little Squealer is a monster of a snare.

I also suggest the 13x6.5 Metalworks. ;)

O7FqG.jpg

Since Ive had a problem getting my 20in birch bass to sound nice.I was thinking of replacing the stock batter head with a EMAD2 and putting the stock batter head as a resonant head. Im trying to save money here cause I ruined the stock resonant head by putting a Kickport in it. That by the way I dont suggest any one else do unless the Bass drum is a 24in.

Anyway, I'm off to go pick up one of those Sonor Phil Rudd snares now. I figure I should have a nice brass shelled snare to provide a contrast to my mystery maple Sonor Force snare drum. The guy I'm buyin' it from is trying to get trying to unload his over-engineered DW stuff too. Go figure....

I wouldn't buy that Rudd snare. It's a Chinese piece of crap.
Craviotto makes a nice brass shell. I think it's like 3,000 dollars more, though.

Back