TAMA Superstar Hyperdrive, Maple (2015) vs YAMAHA Stage customs, birch (2014)

kid

Hi Guys,

I need a little help here. I'm planning to buy a new drum set and I'm debating between the tama superstar hyperdrive maple(2015) and Yamaha stage customs birch(2014). I read prior posts on the same topic and gathered that people preferred the yamaha stage customs birch over the older tama superstar hyperdrive which was also birch.

Does anyone know if the new superstars (maple) are good? Which one should I go for? They cost almost the same and are both available in the 6 piece configuration. Since I'm not too good with this, I was hoping someone who has either tried them both, or owns them, or knows about them could shed some light on it.

Thank you so much. Help me make the right choice :)

Between these two, I'd pick the Superstar, mainly because I love the short toms. What kind of music do you play? That makes a difference in the wood type you pick.
Consider the Sonor Select Force S drives. Sonor's version of the Hyperdrive, also maple.

I usually play Rock/Hard Rock, however having flexibility and versatility wouldn't hurt. I usually like having a bassy feel for my toms. I think maple would deliver that better wouldn't it? Also, I haven't ever played those short hyperdrive toms. Could you roughly explain what they sound like? Maybe more attack?

None of the stores here in Canada have the 2015 Tama superstar Hyperdrive available. They'll have to order it for me, which means that the first time I play them, it will be at home. Do you think it's okay to just trust Tama and buy the kit without testing it?

Lastly, any idea why in a similar post earlier, people chose Yamaha stage customs over the older (BIRCH) tama SHD? Was it because they were both Birch and the Yamaha was cheaper? And does that mean that the TAMA now being maple can be considered an upgrade?

Please help.
Thank you so much mate.

Thanks Artstar.

Could you please elaborate on that a bit? why do you think the superstars are better quality? Is it the sound? The build? How would the shorter toms make a difference? Because if I buy the superstar, I'll have to buy them without even trying them once. So I want to be sure I'm buying the right thing. And if you have read the previous posts as I mentioned before, everyone picked Yamaha Stage Customs. But then again, that was the older Superstar Hyperdrive which was birch and more expensive than the Yamaha. I ask this only because you know this better than I do.

Oh and I believe the Superstar classics are not available here in Canada. However, I shall check with the deal this evening.

Thanks Artstar.

Could you please elaborate on that a bit? why do you think the superstars are better quality? Is it the sound? The build? .

They just sound and look like a higher end kit compared to the Yamaha IMO. I would get the Superstar Classic Maple.

Those Tama's are pretty new. I don't think I've heard from anyone here who has them.
I'm sure you've seen Tama's site.
About the toms, they say: "... Its short depth creates enhanced attack, punchy sound, and quick response.
And more it allows you to set up the rack toms in lower position. So, you can post the tom toms more freely..."
http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/product/drum_data.php?year=2015&area=3&id=17

Under 'Basic Kit' configurations, they list two 22" bass drums - one is 20" deep, and the other is 18" deep.
So you'd be looking at getting a 22" diameter bass drum that's real deep,
combined with very shallow toms.

OK now - this is purely a subjective, aesthetic consideration, and I'm being honest.
I think that combination looks goofy, even if it sounds great.

Disclosure - I have Stage Customs.
When I got them a few years ago, I compared them with the comparable Tama birch kit available at the time.
I thought they were pretty equal - liking some Yamaha things better, and some Tama things better.

I haven't tried the new Tama maples.
I like that they have die cast hoops, but not everyone likes those.
I don't like that they have full length lugs, but some people like those.
Edit again ha ha - I don't think the new version has die cast hoops.

They're both nice kits, they were the two brands I settled on picking between back then,
and I don't think you'd go too far wrong choosing either one.

Last edited:
Hmm okay I see what you guys are saying. I'm kind of inclined towards the tama myself, but as I mentioned, I've never played them before. Do you guys think its safe to trust tama and just go for it?

Wildbill - I'm guessing you personally tried the birch tama shd at that time didn't you? Did you like the sound? Did anything stand out that made you pick the Yamaha?

And I still fail to understand why most people preferred Yamaha sc over the older tama shd. I know I've asked this before, but do you guys think it was probably because of them both being birch and Yamaha being cheaper? And now that tama is maple, and if I'm getting them both for the same price its probably not that bad an idea to go for tama? And plus tama has die cast hoops.

Thanks again guys.

... Do you guys think its safe to trust tama and just go for it?...

...Wildbill - I'm guessing you personally tried the birch tama shd at that time didn't you? Did you like the sound? Did anything stand out that made you pick the Yamaha?...

Yes - I think it's safe to trust Tama and just go for it.
Get them from a place that offers returns for peace of mind.

At the time I tried them, both birch kits sounded very similar. Too close to call.
Edit: oops - those were Silverstars I tried, not Superstars.
Tama has too many 'star' things, ha ha.

Personally, I like Yamaha's tom mount system. Not everyone does.
I also liked the size configurations, and the easy availability of adding extra drums.
And, I had Yamaha drums in the past and had good experiences with them.

It sounds to me like you want the Tama's. Trust your gut instincts.

Last edited:
Having owned a set of Superstars in birch, I'd go for the maple ones. Birch was a little too dead with the die-cast hoops unless you used pretty open heads. Maple generally is more open, and with the die-cast hoops, you should have no problem getting an attack-y sound.

Hi Guys,

I need a little help here. I'm planning to buy a new drum set and I'm debating between the tama superstar hyperdrive maple(2015) and Yamaha stage customs birch(2014). I read prior posts on the same topic and gathered that people preferred the yamaha stage customs birch over the older tama superstar hyperdrive which was also birch.

Does anyone know if the new superstars (maple) are good? Which one should I go for? They cost almost the same and are both available in the 6 piece configuration. Since I'm not too good with this, I was hoping someone who has either tried them both, or owns them, or knows about them could shed some light on it.

I'd go definitely for the Tamas if you get them for such a good price. I've checked them in a store recently, high quality build and great sounding. How comes you get them for a price same as the stage customs? The Tama superstar classics would be normally in the same range as the stage custom birchs.

I'd go definitely for the Tamas if you get them for such a good price. I've checked them in a store recently, high quality build and great sounding. How comes you get them for a price same as the stage customs? The Tama superstar classics would be normally in the same range as the stage custom birchs.

Are you sure? Everyplace I see has them listed for $899. Pretty sure that's what the Stage Customs are going for with a hardware pack included.
https://www.google.com/search?q=TAMA+Superstar+Hyperdrive,+Maple&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
http://www.lonestarpercussion.com/D...HW-680W-Hardware-Pack-20-Bass-10-12-14-T.html

I guess the new version of the Tamas doesn't have die cast hoops. They're also made in China. And I've read too that the lugs are different.
People seem to like the badges though.
I'm not that familiar with them, so I don't know what other changes are made, but I've read some comments of people discussing them.

Tama's line up seems pretty confusing to me. Then again, I haven't looked at them all that much.

Last edited:
Well you guys are right. The hardware pack is not included. But I'll be using my hardware from my previous kit so I won't have to buy their hardware pack. However, I will need one boom stand and maybe, just maybe a hi hat stand, which on kijiji could both be bought for about $80 - $120 combined. But if the TAMAs are a good make, I think the extra $100 is worth it (isn't it?). And as Basswood mentioned, he has played the new maple Superstars and they sound good.

I'm probably going to go for the TAMA so if you guys still think I shouldn't, please let me know. If you think I'm overlooking something here, please do point it out.

I appreciate all the help.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Yamaha drums. But you are on the right course in choosing the Tama kit. Why? 1. Maple. You'll have a hard time getting the warm sound you want out of a birch kit. I've owned Recording Customs and Stage Customs, and comparable drums in maple are simply rounder and warmer sounding. 2. Quality of build. I know from experience that Yamaha simply does not build bad drums. Period. But Tama has made big strides lately in smoothing out the rough edges of their mid range kits. I've seen the kits side by side and the Tamas simply have a very elegant, deep finish, and chrome quality that has greatly improved.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Tama kit.

GeeDeeEmm

Okay so guys, I just got a reply from the official TAMA dealer in Canada and he confirmed that the TAMA Superstar Classics were only available is the states. So I am down to my two original choices - YAMAHA Stage Custom (Birch) and TAMA Superstar Hyperdrive (Maple).

I understand what you all have been telling me and agree that maybe the TAMA is better quality of the two (maybe just by a bit). And I'm almost sold on getting the kit, however, there probably is a reason the shorter toms are not that famous.

The Yamaha tom dimensions -
10"x7" Tom
12"x8" Tom
16"x15 Floor Tom
5.5"x14" Snare Drum
22"x17Bass Drum

The Tama Superstar Hyperdrive dimensions -
10"x6.5" Tom
12"x7" Tom
12"x14 Floor Tom
14"x16" Floor Tom
5.5"x14" Snare Drum
22"x18" Bass Drum

Are these dimensions going to make a significant difference? Should I just stick to the more conventional sizes which provide more versatility in terms of music styles as opposed to the shorter ones? There probably is a reason everyone isn't getting these. Could someone help with that?

Thank you all in.

I understand what you all have been telling me and agree that maybe the TAMA is better quality of the two (maybe just by a bit). And I'm almost sold on getting the kit, however, there probably is a reason the shorter toms are not that famous.

[...]

Are these dimensions going to make a significant difference? Should I just stick to the more conventional sizes which provide more versatility in terms of music styles as opposed to the shorter ones? There probably is a reason everyone isn't getting these. Could someone help with that?

The reason is just that Tama is marketing those as a "major" point and other companies (DW excluded) don't seem interested in getting people worked up about rack toms shorter than 7". The size difference really not a major thing. They will sound like rack toms regardless – no significant difference to anyone but the person playing ;)

Hi Guys,

I've played both, the TAMA's being at a rehearsal studio 10-12-14 FTWL 22xLooong BD, about 30 hrs on them.

For an in the nut shell- the sound is short/compact, they sounded good, just limited IMO. Build quality good. I didn't care for the BD spurs and the tom's STARCAST like mounting system isn't as friendly as YAMAHA's, and not as stable.

Wrapped finish (Burgundy like) w/balck chrome was not for me, compared to YAMAHA's lacquer finishes the TAMA wrap looks cheap. This TAMA HD set was Im guessing 2010. Big plus is the short toms if you like your toms low, they're short, so they can go.

The YAMAHA SCB toms aren't really deep (10x7, 8x12, 14x13), or so the fusion set. I have a set of 2014 YAMAHA SCB and did a review.

The YAMAHA'S are more versatile IMO sound wise compared to the short TAMA'S I've played, and they look like expensive drums due to the finish. YAMAHA tom mounting is a breeze also IMO. My kit with a 20" BD weighs around 80 lbs, and so a joy to carry around. I believe the TAMA STARCAST type hoops are going to be heavier than what YAMAHA give with the SCB.

I would say play both if you can, and see them in person, touch the hardware etc. If not get the kit that looks best to you and just know short toms produce a short sound in general, that sounds depth can't be altered.

My 2012 Stage Custom 5 pc. has 10x8 and 12x9 toms. They shortened them an inch for the new series.
My Stage bop kit has the inch shorter toms - I guess they call them standard size now. They both sound good.
Yamaha's finishes are superb.

Alright so thank you everyone for all the help so far. I think I'm going to order the tama superstar hyperdrive 6 piece maple tomorrow.

Les ismore mentioned, the yamaha is more versatile since its got a little more conventional toms. However, my understanding is that he had played the 2010 birch kit, and since the 2015 tama kit is maple, that will probably make up for those short toms. In general from what I understand, maple does offer a wider range of sound and increases versatility to a certain extent. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That being said, I haven't ever played the tamas myself. Just heard them on YouTube and they sound good to me. The first time I'll play them will be at home. So if anyone has any last thoughts or concerns I will appreciate it. I've been saving up for this and will be extremely disappointed if I make the wrong decision.

Back