replacing absolute birch with performer b/b.. Bad idea?

defregano

Hey guys

Just wanted some opinions. I have an excellent condition yamaha birch custom absolute kit that I dig but lately I've been listening to clips of the tama birch bubinga kit and I'm loving the low end that I hear. Would it be crazy for me to get rid of this beautiful, discontinued, more expensive, made in Japan kit and get a lesser priced, Chinese kit? How is the quality on these tama kits. Do they lose their tune easily? Any info/opinions would be appreciated.

1st opinion here - I wouldn't do it.

Sometimes you get the itch for something different though.
If you really want that B/B kit, maybe you could find a used one
for a decent price and keep the Yamaha set.

It's your decision though. If you really want that B/B kit,
I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be happy to
buy the Absolutes.

You will regret getting rid of Birch Custom Absolutes for Tama B/B.
Your call but I wouldn't do it. I like the Tama's a lot, but BCA's are keepers.

Neal

Birch/Bubinga kits are excellent drums; no doubt. But your Birch Custom Absolute are much more than that: we are talking about a classic drum set, a connoisseur kit, indeed. These Yamaha absolute, made in japan kits, if well kept, will at least keep their value as years go by. Real jewels. Keep them.

Hey guys
Any info/opinions would be appreciated.

Defregano.. Go check them out for yourself.. and evaluate them carefully.

They are ridiculously nice drums that can hang with almost anything out there. I've never seen a flawed kit.

I've got some BACN drums. While they are great drums, I'm real fond of the BB's also. I think they are good drums, no matter where they were made. If you like them, that's all that matters. It's not like you're trading for some Swing Stars. BB's are quality drums. Unless they've changed in last couple of yr.

It would be sad to let that yamaha go but I have played the MIJ birch/bubinga and it is a kit I wouldn't mind owning.

Is it in your budget to go and buy the tama, keep them both for a while then decide which one to keep?

Thanks for all the responses guys. Im afraid getting rid of the BCA might be something Id really regret. Maybe ill take duck tapes advice and when my finances are looking a little better I'll buy the B/B kit and play them for a while then decide what to do.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Im afraid getting rid of the BCA might be something Id really regret. Maybe ill take duck tapes advice and when my finances are looking a little better I'll buy the B/B kit and play them for a while then decide what to do.

Good call. TBH - I'm not sure what you'd be gaining with the B/B kit. It's still birch, and I've found the bubinga is negligible in helping with the tone. A solid bubinga kit is another story though. If you want bubinga, go that route. Save your pennies ;)

Back