New pedal for me!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I am now endorsing Taye's MetalWorks pedal!

tmw.jpg

I first tried this pedal about 8 weeks ago, dialed it in quickly, and it felt great. The next day, I made one more minor tweak, and haven't changed it since. It's deceptively ordinary looking, but there are two simple adjustments that make a big difference in the way it feels and plays. It's smooth and very even throughout the stroke, no fighting the pedal as the beater gets closer to the head. My foot loves it!

Bermuda

Cool. By the way, I saw you with Al last night on Comedy Central. Interesting show.

Yep, that's a stick holder. There's a plastic 'stop' farther down the frame that keeps the sticks in place. basically, it puts a pair of sticks at arm's reach. Nice to have even if you also have another stick holder or two.

Bermuda

Wow, it must be a great feeling pedal to entice you away from the Trick!

I really thought the Trick would be the last pedal I'd ever use, and it is truly a fantastic pedal. Nothing's changed there. But I always keep an eye/ear/hand/foot on new gear, which normally confirms that I'm already using what's best for me. I know that Taye pedal was originally introduced almost 5 years ago, and it did catch my attention at the time. But it was recently re-introduced, and I decided to give it a try. For me, it was an improvement over the Trick.

So, I switched!

Bermuda

tmw.jpg

mpatinkin200.jpg

Anyone ever say that you look a little like Mandy Patinkin? He played Inigio Montoya in The Princess Bride.

Congrats on the new endorsement John. You sure do know good gear and if this pedal managed to lure away from you Trick then I'd better get to the store and try it out.

No real resemblance in those pics, but yes, I've heard that before.

Hi Bermuda,

How is the MetalWorks pedal working out for you? I'm looking at trying one, and I thought you could give some thoughtful opinions about the pedal now that you've been using it for some time.

Thanks,
R

It's been wonderful on the road, and I keep my in-town pedals set exactly the same way. They also feel great with easier playing.

As with anything tactile, it's a good idea to try it for yourself, don't just take my word for it. Even if you feel that it's like a DW or Pearl or Tama, you'll find that it's less expensive.

Bermuda

I have the older, original Taye Metalworks pedal that was Best in Show at NAMM a few years ago and it just keeps on giving. Not one problem in I guess 3 years. But as Al's drummer said, try them out if you can. Mine adjusts every which way but loose.

I've got an XP-1 (predecessor to the current TMW pedal) and it feels like the new ones. There's one adjustment the old one has that the new one doesn't, but apart from that, they do mostly the same thing. Same mechanics, bearings, etc.

Bermuda

tmw.jpg

I first tried this pedal about 8 weeks ago, dialed it in quickly, and it felt great. The next day, I made one more minor tweak, and haven't changed it since. It's deceptively ordinary looking, but there are two simple adjustments that make a big difference in the way it feels and plays. It's smooth and very even throughout the stroke, no fighting the pedal as the beater gets closer to the head. My foot loves it!

Bermuda

Being a Ludwig guy, what will you do when the new Atlas Pro stuff becomes available?

It's deceptively ordinary looking, but there are two simple adjustments that make a big difference in the way it feels and plays.

What are those two adjustments? I don't know anything about this pedal, so I'm just curious. Certainly looks good!

Being a Ludwig guy, what will you do when the new Atlas Pro stuff becomes available?

With most drum companies, pedals are considered separate from the drums themselves. So a Ludwig endorser isn't required to use a Ludwig pedal, which until now has been the Speed King. Their new pedal is really nice though and should compete well with other top pedals.

So, if anything should go wrong with the Taye pedal, I'd move to the Ludwig without question.

Bermuda

What are those two adjustments? I don't know anything about this pedal, so I'm just curious. Certainly looks good!

One is the adjustable cam, the other is the baseplate length adjustment that lets the footboard move between a standard feel, and almost a longboard. So for those like me who like the power of a longboard but not the feel, they can find a sweet spot inbetween.

Bermuda

Back