12" x 8" low-tom
15" x 12" floor-tom
20" x 16" bass drum
14" x 5.5" Remo Gold Crown snare
Iron Cobra Smooth-Glide single pedal

Cymbals:
20" K Custom Dry Ride
13" K Custom Special Dry Hats
16" Paiste 502 Crash (Due for replacement very soon)
12" Paiste Alpha Splash (Also about to go out the door)

The kit itself is a Sam Bacco refurbished kit. For those who don't know, Sam Bacco is Nashville-based and is one of the world's only certified Gretsch refurbisher. This kit sounds and plays amazing.
IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

Last edited:
Wow...that's really sweet looking.....got any pics from further out??

Also.....20x16 bass...in the 70's ????? hmmmmmmm.....didn't think 16" deep bass drums started till the 80's or so, yes? Maybe not...but still,....sweet kit!! :)

Early 70's ??? Nope......your kit is from the 80's ...see the description of the 1981 Octagon badge...

http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/gretsch_badges_timeline.html

excerpt:
BADGE #2 1972 to 1979 (Nope,...not this badge)

The next badge design for Gretsch was an octagon shaped badge. This brass badge had the GRETSCH logo written in block type with an elongated letter “T “in the middle of the Gretsch name. One the right side of the brass grommet the word DRUMS appears in block letters. To the left the initials U.S.A. appear in block letters. The bottom section of the badge reads “THAT GREAT GRETSCH SOUND”. Final production of Gretsch Drums with this badge was in mid 1979. This is the only badge to carry the infamous “Great Gretsch Sound” tag line.

BADGE # 3 1979 to 1980 (getting closer)

The second version of the octagon badge went into production in late 1979. This badge is very similar to the previous badge but the tag line on the bottom was changed back to “DRUM MAKERS SINCE 1883” in block letters.

BADGE # 5 Early 1981 (this looks like the one! :) )

A short return to the octagon badge.

This time the brass badge was redesigned with the GRETSCH logo in the drop “G” font above the grommet. U.S.A. appeared to the right of the grommet and DRUM MAKERS SINCE 1883 was at the bottom of this badge in block letters.

Last edited:
Yep, now I know what`s the matter with "that great Gretsch sound". They looks delicious and so do they sound. The toms sound definitly vintage, very clear, glassy with a warm character. oh yeah, and the Bass drum has a very solid "boom", sounds very very versatile!

Would really like to play it...

Karl

Wow, very nice. I like alot. I'm a huge Gretsch fan .How were the drums mic'd?

you're killing me man, you know it? :p

i think you've got enough of those vintage gretsches, and i'm guessing you wanna give one for free to have more space in your drumming shack. that's where Kacper comes for the rescue! fear no more, i'll take them... hell, even for free. really. you may not have such offer again. think about it. ;)

Well since your kickin the 12" Alpha splash out the door, Slap some postage on it and send it my way. I'll give it a good home.

This is a Sam Bacco refurbished kit, though.

The shells are from the 70's, as he specified. The lugs are obviously not old, and some of the other parts are not entirely original.

This is a Sam Bacco refurbished kit, though.

The shells are from the 70's, as he specified. The lugs are obviously not old, and some of the other parts are not entirely original.

Those aren't 70's badges though......

Very nice but just one favor for a Gretsch lover and one day owner, Get a Gretsch Head for that Bass drum....please, pretty please.

Your drums look and sound great. And I really like your sizes.

Your snare looks interesting - both the shell and the lugs. What is the shell material? And is that the actual shell or some kind of applied finish?

it's the Remo Acousticon material. A fiber-board of some sort that they specially manufactured... and then it's covered with a thin layer of brass/silver/ or gold, depending on the model.

Back