Mapex Saturn Delamination ?? WTF??

AcoS

Hi
I have a Saturn Pro serie drums kit.
When i decide to change all my batter head i found that my shell was starting to delaminate...WTF???....
Am i the only one who seems to happen or?? did you heard about the same problem before??

My Saturn is a 2003
Jazz Config + add FT in wax natural finish
BD 20X16
TT 10X8 12X9
FT 14X14 16X16
SD 14X5.5 and i have a Black Panther 13X6

So im wondering if someone else had the same problem with Mapex or another Manufaturer??

Thanks

P.S. here's a link to see the delamination

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7E_cxwEO4I

That is a real bummer! Just out of couriousity, have these drums been exposed to rapid temparature changes or moisture? Seems strange that it would happen to multiple drums from the same kit.

Also, over what time period do you think this happened over?

That is a real bummer! Just out of couriousity, have these drums been exposed to rapid temparature changes or moisture? Seems strange that it would happen to multiple drums from the same kit.

Also, over what time period do you think this happened over?

No temperature change...my drums is in my studio (tempered room) 365 days/years
one night a years i gig in a musical theater like 2 minutes far from my studio.

time period it happen...euhmm i like to change my drums heads like every year so...it happen during that time maybe a year and a half...

Are you the kit first owner ? If so, then contact Mapex and see if their shell were lifetime warrantied back then. I heard they have good customer services...

My first questions would be,where,and how were the drums stored?

Being that the entire kit is delaminating,if they were stored properly,then this would have to be a systemic problem,and your kit wouldn't be the only one affected.If thats the case,then maybe Mapex will step up and correct the problem.I doubt it since the kit is 9 years old,but the only way to find out,is to ask.

Include a intellegently written letter,addressing how,and where the drums were stored,and under what conditions.Also attach photo evinence,as well as a link to the youtube vid.

Sorry about your plight,but good luck.The problem is a fixable one,it just comes down to who will fix it..:)

Steve B

Je n'avais pas remarqué que c'était toi qui avait posté ça ! C'est bien plate, est-ce que tu l'as acheté à en Abitibi ? J'espère que Mapex pourrons faire quelques chose pour toi.

Boone chance et A+

Du gars de Rouyn...

Are you the kit first owner ? If so, then contact Mapex and see if their shell were lifetime warrantied back then. I heard they have good customer services...

on the canadian(usa redirected) website they said that the shell is lifetime warrantied, but i spoke with some canadian rep, and i dont know why, the shell is not warranty...?? huh??

Je n'avais pas remarqué que c'était toi qui avait posté ça ! C'est bien plate, est-ce que tu l'as acheté à en Abitibi ? J'espère que Mapex pourrons faire quelques chose pour toi.

Boone chance et A+

Du gars de Rouyn...

non jlai acheter a drummondville

on the canadian(usa redirected) website they said that the shell is lifetime warrantied, but i spoke with some canadian rep, and i dont know why, the shell is not warranty...?? huh??

It depend on the date that Mapex changed their policy, I can't remember which year, I'm sure though in 2005 they were 100% lifetime warrantied.

C'est drôle de parler à un gars à 100 km de moi en anglais... LOL !!!!

My first questions would be,where,and how were the drums stored?

Being that the entire kit is delaminating,if they were stored properly,then this would have to be a systemic problem,and your kit wouldn't be the only one affected.If thats the case,then maybe Mapex will step up and correct the problem.I doubt it since the kit is 9 years old,but the only way to find out,is to ask.

Include a intellegently written letter,addressing how,and where the drums were stored,and under what conditions.Also attach photo evinence,as well as a link to the youtube vid.

Sorry about your plight,but good luck.The problem is a fixable one,it just comes down to who will fix it..:)

Steve B

4 of the 7 pieces are delaminating... the drums is well stored (tempered room, control humudity and so long...
ive just contact mapex here in canada, but it seems that they cant replace the kit or repair the kit...
so now im waiting for an alternate solution... i know the guy here at yorkville, do the best he can for my case, but i was hoping that Mapex will assure their warranty

Unfortunately Jeff Ivester isn't with Mapex anymore, he was the guy behind the Mapex excellent customer services...

le gars ché yorkville est vraiment tres sympatique...je crois vraiment quil fait de sont mieu, je crois vraiment que ca vien de plus haut...

le gars ché yorkville est vraiment tres sympatique...je crois vraiment quil fait de sont mieu, je crois vraiment que ca vien de plus haut...

does the other companies have lifetime warranty on their shell construction??

heres what i found on
http://usa.mapexdrums.com/about/index.asp

The Mapex Warranty

It’s one of the best warranties in the business. A lifetime warranty on drum shells, one year on finishes and hoops and five years on hardware. All of Mapex products are built in its ISO9001 certified factory, which means you can count on superior quality – right out of the box.

4 of the 7 pieces are delaminating... the drums is well stored (tempered room, control humudity and so long...
ive just contact mapex here in canada, but it seems that they cant replace the kit or repair the kit...
so now im waiting for an alternate solution... i know the guy here at yorkville, do the best he can for my case, but i was hoping that Mapex will assure their warranty

Wow...Mapex better step up to the plate or lose serious credibility here, on the biggest drum forum on the web.

I just looked at the video, that really is a bummer. I hope you can get it sorted out without having to jump through too many hoops. Best of luck.

Dennis

I would use your video and contact Mapex HQ pronto. Mapex is always touting how road tough their gear is; in particular, Mapex had a promo just two or so years ago with some drum shops in Tennessee to tout how the Saturn and other kits could endure massive usage in Nashville or Memphis clubs. Your evidence clearly shows this is not the case--or at the least that your kit was a lemon or had some kind of flaw.

I hope Mapex addresses this matter favorably.

Hmmm, was just thinking a little involvement from sticks right now couldn't hurt things.

Back