Ready to buy new kit. Need advice.

daxz222

Hello guys! I am 25 yo, new in the community. I have 1 year of drumming experience. I am ready to buy my next kit. My previous kit was Ddrum Reflex I already sold, and now I don't have drums. :-(

I play rock for now, but I like to learn all genres in the future. I play simple and not too loud. I play at small venue only. I want 3-4 piece kit and I like smaller drums for easy transport/setup and lesser volume.

I want to get the size I like first, then just tune to get the sound I want later:
Kick 20x14 vs 20x16? or maybe 18?
Floor Tom 14 or 16?
Tom 10 or 12 or No tom at all?

I want birch or maple. I am willing to spend around $1,500 for the 2-3 piece shells. Or should I spend less money because I only played drums for 1 year?

I have the cymbals, hardware and snare I like already.

Any advice as to which brand? model? whatever advice. Please help this new drummer :-D thanks!!!!!

dax

Hello guys! I am 25 yo, new in the community. I have 1 year of drumming experience. I am ready to buy my next kit. My previous kit was Ddrum Reflex I already sold, and now I don't have drums. :-(

I play rock for now, but I like to learn all genres in the future. I play simple and not too loud. I play at small venue only. I want 3-4 piece kit and I like smaller drums for easy transport/setup and lesser volume.

I want to get the size I like first, then just tune to get the sound I want later:
Kick 20x14 vs 20x16? or maybe 18?
Floor Tom 14 or 16?
Tom 10 or 12 or No tom at all?

I want birch or maple. I am willing to spend around $1,500 for the 2-3 piece shells. Or should I spend less money because I only played drums for 1 year?

I have the cymbals, hardware and snare I like already.

Any advice as to which brand? model? whatever advice. Please help this new drummer :-D thanks!!!!!

dax
I would personally go with a 20"x14" or 16" bass drum, with 14" being my first choice. It's a really good in between size. Good for pretty much any style. Floor tom: I would probably go with a 16". Mounted tom: I'd go with a 12". More experienced drummers on here will be able to help out with exact models and brands.

I personal like 20x14/16 12" tom and 14" floor tom. But it really depends on what you are going for. Think about what you want your sound to be and go from there. Also go out and try some different set ups and watch some videos.

The most common size bass drum is 22x16/17/18. That said, a 20" is a lot easier to carry around. :)

Your experience has no bearing on what you buy in my opinion. Just your talent, budget and dedication.

As for sizes, traditional used to be 8x10, 9x13 and 16x16. However, today Im nor really sure there is a 'recommended' or 'standard' size anymore.

For what you are asking, you may want look at a 'bop' kit configuration. That the easiest to cart around or set up in a small space.

As for brands, for $1500 you can easily move into a mid-high range kit - both new or used. I play Sonor and pretty much know that line well, so if you want any help there just drop me a note.

Just one note of advise. You said you like your cymbals and snare. Along with your bass drum, those are the things that are heard most by an audience. think carefully if those will fit in with the shells you are going to buy. ;-)

+1 for ncc. check out sonor's safari, bop, players kits. Or sonor's essential force studio birch kit. Also, find a Yamaha Stage birch or Custom Absolute birch (which I have) which you can find with 20" bass.

I had the sonor SDrive maple kit. great kit, should have kept it. Looks like I'll be purchasing a Select force studio maple kit. That will give me a Yamaha absolute birch and oak kits, and now the maple.

So many kits to choose from all manufacturers though.

Last edited:
20x16 is probably what you'll easily find new. 20x14 are just not as common as they used to be - you can get them, but they won't be any cheaper, or you're buying a kit piece by piece rather than a shell pack. But I like the 12/14/20 set-up - it's been very popular for decades.

Maybe you could find a deal for a Ludwig Classic Maple in those traditional sizes - I've seen shell packs of just the three drums hovering around $1600 or so, however.

.... I play simple and not too loud. I play at small venue only. I want 3-4 piece kit and I like smaller drums for easy transport/setup and lesser volume...

You've got a lot to pick from.

My 18" bass drum sounds just as loud as my 20. The 18 doesn't have the tuning range though, and I use it with a riser which brings it to the same height as the 20.

So overall, I'd say the 20 is more versatile. 20x16 or 17 is easier to find than 20x14. The Sonor Players kit is 20x12.

I really like the 14" floor toms I've got. Some people prefer 16 or even 18, but the 14 works well for me.

I like a 5 piece, so I go with 20/10/12/14, but if I were going to use just one tom up, I'd go with a 12.
So, another vote for the 20/12/14 setup.

No specific recommendation on brand though. With your budget for that number of drums, you're going to have to do some research and trying them out.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Very much appreciated!!!

+1 for ncc. check out sonor's safari, bop, players kits. Or sonor's essential force studio birch kit. Also, find a Yamaha Stage birch or Custom Absolute birch (which I have) which you can find with 20" bass.

I had the sonor SDrive maple kit. great kit, should have kept it. Looks like I'll be purchasing a Select force studio maple kit. That will give me a Yamaha absolute birch and oak kits, and now the maple.

So many kits to choose from all manufacturers though.

I probably should stick with 20 x 14/16 kick. I looked at sonor and they only have 20x17.5 kicks, I will consider the Yamaha Stage Customs Birch :). The Yamaha absolute but is too expensive for my budget.

16x20, 8x12 and 12x14 ought to cover anything musically that you'd encounter. And 18" bass drum will be far too limiting for rock gigs. Tahnk to [email protected] for a quote if you're in the USA. He's in Indiana and makes these: http://stonecustomdrum.com

Cool! I just requested price quote.

20x16 is probably what you'll easily find new. 20x14 are just not as common as they used to be - you can get them, but they won't be any cheaper, or you're buying a kit piece by piece rather than a shell pack. But I like the 12/14/20 set-up - it's been very popular for decades.

Maybe you could find a deal for a Ludwig Classic Maple in those traditional sizes - I've seen shell packs of just the three drums hovering around $1600 or so, however.

Yea 20x14 is very hard to find with maple or birch. Here is what I consider:

Gretsch Catalina Club 4pc, $750. Has 20x14 Kick, (but mahogany)

Ludwig Club Date DownBeat 3pc. $900 20x14, 12x8, 14x14 (but cherry/gum)

Ludwig Signet 3pc, $950. Perfect size and shells (but I worry about the lugs in the long run)

Ludwig Keystone 3pc, $1,400. Perfects sizes (but hybrid maple shells)

My Dream Kit: Ludwig Classic Maple 3pc, Perfect sizes and shells (but $1,900)

Seems everything has downside. Can't find what I just want. Is finding drums really this hard? Or am I just so picky?

There are kits that I like for $1,500-$1,700. but I feel that if I had to pay that much, might as well pay $1,900 for my dream kit. Yes I consider buying drums individually and asking quotes from custom drums companies.

I spend a lot of time looking for the perfect kit, and took a lot of my practice time :). If I ever get my perfect kit, I think I am not worthy playing it LOL

You've got a lot to pick from.

My 18" bass drum sounds just as loud as my 20. The 18 doesn't have the tuning range though, and I use it with a riser which brings it to the same height as the 20.

So overall, I'd say the 20 is more versatile. 20x16 or 17 is easier to find than 20x14. The Sonor Players kit is 20x12.

I really like the 14" floor toms I've got. Some people prefer 16 or even 18, but the 14 works well for me.

I like a 5 piece, so I go with 20/10/12/14, but if I were going to use just one tom up, I'd go with a 12.
So, another vote for the 20/12/14 setup.

No specific recommendation on brand though. With your budget for that number of drums, you're going to have to do some research and trying them out.

Yes I think I am going with 12/14/20x14or16 Maple or Birch. I hope the music store (GC) has the drums I want so I can try them out :D

Gretsch Catalina Club Classic. 20 x 14, 12, 14 and a snare for about 800.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ludwig-Clas.../271503381208?pt=US_Drums&hash=item3f36dcd2d8

"...For a Limited Time-We are including a Ludwig Supralite 5.5x14 snare drum for FREE! ..."

Just a hair over your budget, but it includes that snare in the price too. People here who have it speak highly of it.

Thanks! This is what i want! Let me message seller i they have finish other than white because my last kit was white :).. I hope i can also get some discount like they have in musiciansfriend and gc :). Thanks guys!

Two inches of difference in depth on a 20 inch bass drum shell won't amount to much. My first preference would be 14 X 20", but really if you find a great kit at a great price point, there's nothing to lose any sleep over at all by going with a 16 X 20" bass drum.

From a future resale point of view, it makes sense to get a 12" rack tom and a 14" floor tom along with the 20" kick. With your leaning towards rock, I would consider a 14 X 22" (or 16 X 22") kick, 13" rack tom and a 16" floor tom. Then down the road when you have more money you could add a matching 12" rack and either a 20" kick or a 14" floor tom. That would give you a few more options depending on your style/gig you're playing at that time.

The Ludwig Signet 105 Gigabeat 3-Piece Shell Pack is a 20 in kick, and 12, 14 in toms -looks like a Nice kit. Goes for $ 949 at a number of places. It's a maple kit.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271591098388?nav=SEARCH

Same kit , different color , more money though

White always works well on stage with all the different color lights hitting it ;)

That would be cool - they're even giving you an extra snare. I'd go for that. You don't see alot of that sky blue pearl, but you do see alot of black oyster pearl, so you choose how unique you want to be.

I'm a huge fan of Ludwig's new Blue/Olive oyster finish. Everybody has a love/hate relationship with it.

Back