Bare Feet, Socks or Shoes?

Re: What are the best shoes to play bass drum with?

Any pair of good fitting sneakers works well for me............

If I wear shoes the soles have to be rubber.........

Dap.........

I can double bass comfortably while barefoot, but right now I'm wearing some Adidas Gazelles and they're working out really nice. Great for running, too.

Oh God, I'm a coroporate whore now

oooooooooohh, i'd go barefoot if my bass pedals had toegaurds. I usually go with my Adio's.

I think a good solid pair of sneakers will do just fine Any skateboarding shoes, I have a pair of converse skateboarding shoes that kick hard. Since I go right to practice after work a lot I have to play in dress shoes... Not Fun!

Some old school British Knights

Last edited:

I used to play in sneakers then I tried just playing in socks and it really opened up my foot control better. I use socks that have a grip on them so my feet don't slide so much. I tried going back to sneakers and my foot work felt really stiff.

Even Freddie Gruber stressed the importance of not playing in sneakers it creates unnecessary stress. But again it's all personal preference.

Barefoot usally...but for shoes? Converse Allstars!!!!!!!!!

I think socks with rubber grips (like Jamsjr44 wrote) are the best move to make if you require maximum pedal-feel at the time. I never put on footwear that have heavy soles when I play, that's against the law.

Dap.

well.i think if your a drummer....you should be able to play with any type of shoe, heavy, light, or none!

Ive done it all ways but i like doing it barefoot the best. Its easier for me to hit better accent notes on the bass drum

dustpan65 said:
Ive done it all ways but i like doing it barefoot the best. Its easier for me to hit better accent notes on the bass drum

I actually deliberately try not to practice barefoot. I'd rather not get good at doing something that's just a plain bad idea on some gigs. Ever tried getting off a drum kit when there's broken glass around it and you don't have any shoes on? I tend to suggest people keep the shoes on for practice, since you'll probably want to have them on when you play...

I just use my Converse All-stars. After a while tho, those things will wear out on you...like if you put too much pressure on them, those things will fall apart after a few months, maybe like 8 months. Haha, mine have holes in them.

I think that the ideal is in socks, but I'll be damned if I go to a gig without shoes. Adidas makes some really nice running shoes with goodyear rubber on the bottom that fir quite nicely. They're pretty expensive, though. I have Adidas Sambas and they work fine; all-stars are ok but they're just not as comfortable as other shoes. It's just canvas, no padding or anything.

Edward said:
well.i think if your a drummer....you should be able to play with any type of shoe, heavy, light, or none!

Obviously you've never tried playing in workboots or dress shoes with hard wood or rubber bottoms with little or no flex? Again it depends on what you are playing, if you are playing light jazz and are a heel down player footwear won't make much of a difference. But if you are playing straight rock or heavy music heavier shoes after three sets and your feet don't feel to good.

Alot of pro's use light footwear when they play.

Like I'll pratice in sneakers once in awhile just to build up strength, but after I take them off my feet just feel faster. Again play in whatever you feel most comfortable there is no wrong or right way.

Old skateshoes, they're from vans and with 2 years they've got a pretty flexible sole so I really like playing with them...

Back