DW Edge Snares??

Scotty C

I recently found a new DW Edge snare. I play aggresive metal style (i.e. Korn, Mudvayne, AIC) and have been intrigued by these drums.I currently play a Scananavian Birch Sonor snare which is awesome, but after 16 yrs is getting beat down.. My cost on this Edge drum is $575 brand new. Anyone with experience playing these snares? Are these snares road worthy? Thanks for any and all suggs!

Sounds cool....Is there any major difference in sound between the 5 x 14, as opposed to the 6 x 14? The snare I will be purchasing is a 5 x 14, which is a step down in size from my current snare..anything major???? Thanks for all your help!!

Hey thanks for your suggs...I'll be picking up the drum on Thursday..I'll post some photos as soon as i can! Does this sound about right as far as price?....$575? Thanks again!

Hey man.....It's a chrome over brass, top and bottom, with a black onyx middle...it's pretty sweet..The guys in the drum dept. are pretty cool and will let me play it with my kit for a few days to determine if it's the one for me. It's heavy as hell, and it has DW's new throw off. I'll post a pic asap!

I have a DW Neil Peart Edge and I love that drum, sensitive as all hell, very versitle from ghost notes to rim shots. The gold hardware has held up fine with blast beats, rim shots for two years and no wear.
Incredible drum.

JL,

Can you tell me where you got your NP Edge snare? And approx cost? I'm interested in one.

Hey dudes, I went to pick up my 5x14 DW Edge snare today. When I got to the store, I played a few snares.....and believe it or not I opted for the 6x13 DW Edge. This drum had much more attack and just overall crispness...oh and got it new for $400...as opposed to $575 for the 5x14.......only drawback is the strip of maple arouond the center is red...it's still cool..I'am on my way to rehearsal now to try it out..I'll try and take a few pics and post em later and let you know how it sounds,.... in the real world....

Condradulations...great buy. I think the red maple would be awsome....Pearts first Edge was red sparkle
I got my DW Edge Peart Snare in Ottawa at Long and McQuade.
I paid full price....which is twice as much as a regular Edge
$1000 canadian
ouch!

Hey dudes, I went to pick up my 5x14 DW Edge snare today. When I got to the store, I played a few snares.....and believe it or not I opted for the 6x13 DW Edge. This drum had much more attack and just overall crispness...oh and got it new for $400...as opposed to $575 for the 5x14.......only drawback is the strip of maple arouond the center is red...it's still cool..I'am on my way to rehearsal now to try it out..I'll try and take a few pics and post em later and let you know how it sounds,.... in the real world....

Cool, Great deal. You stole it for $400. I had a 5 X 14 and have a 6 X 14. Really great snare.

I think you'll like the 13. I used a 5.5 X 13 Craviotto last night during rehearsal and the guys were surprised at the crack coming from that little snare. 13s rock!

Anyway, enjoy your new drum!

Here is the edge I bought yesterday, this is my first 13 and it rips..... and also my old Sonor.

Attachments

• dw5.jpg
    dw5.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 5,373
  • dw6.jpg
    dw6.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 4,705
  • sonor2.jpg
    sonor2.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 4,686
  • dw4.jpg
    dw4.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 4,705
congrats ...

... to your new baby.

that's the size i prefer in edges ... is the sound a little similar to a 5,5x13 solid?

I actually physically picked one up yesterday and they weren't kidding when they said this drum is heavy. I was ready to buy it right on the spot when the price tag said $335. Apparently someone had switched the price tag, bummer. Nice drum though.

Yeah, I was actually thinking of ordering the die cast hoops for $75......Nothing like adding another 5lbs to this drum!.....It does sound awesome, I've been pretty happy with it over the last week.

Well done scott, I have exactly the same drum, same color size hardware... and it rocks! Picked it up for 320ukp on ebay last year. I also play a 14 x 5 edge in ebony stain w gold hardware. These are the most solid snares I have ever played, you can stand on these babies and they wont bat an eyelid!!!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, UPS (hate them) dropped mine and cracked the shell. I didn't notice when i first got i. Couldn't get a good sound out of it and so i took it apart and found the crack. Unfortunately i threw away the box and UPS would not honor the insurance. It really sucks, there are so many scammers out there and i had an actual claim and no luck....
What a waste of $600

Back