If you could musically have your way, what situation?

I would love to play some jazz in a small group with a Hammond B-3 organist and a guitarist. If I could bring Wes Montgomery and Jimmy Smith back from the dead and get them together for a jam session, that would be a dream come true!

I'd love to be in a small band consisting of a guitarist, bassist, vocalist, keyboard, and me on drums. We'd be playing Bluesy rock. Like Dave Matthews. I also wouldn't mind being a Zep cover band (sorry going through my bonzo phase).

Sadly I've been playing for 6 years and can't find a band. I only play in church but I'm much better at playing than for just church.

I am going to be the odd man out here, but I would want to be in a band like Marilyn Manson. I was in a band last summer that musically was 99% what I wanted, but the Bassist and I could just not get along with the Singer/Guitarist, and it was his band, we were more or less hired guns.
So after a few short months we split and I took a tour playing Broadway music for the fall, lol.

Last edited:
I'd love to play in an outfit that played ethereal, moody, psychedelic, atmospheric music that was eclectic and influenced by a wide variety of world musics - sometimes beautiful, sometimes edgy, soft and loud. Definitely indie (ie. no hooks and not super-slick) in its flavour.

I'd then like to change people's musical tastes so there was enough of a market for that music to make a decent living :)

Great topic, Larry. I'd never really thought about this because it seems such a remote possibility. If my current band falls through I will at least know what kind of ad I can run. It would be a bit like a lottery ticket ...

I'd have a quintet based on the idea of versatility. We would be able to mix genres so effectively that no-one can put their finger on what we play, it just GROOVES! We would play with a mainly jazz influence, our instrumentation being Bass, Drums, Keys, Saxophone, and Trumpet, also adding lots of World Music/Fusion influences, as well as modern Electronica, Classic Rock, Indie/Experimental Folk, and maybe do a record with a backing orchestra if we felt adventurous enough. And of course, once stardom status is achieved (because people, naturally, flock to the sounds of jazz-fusion and dish out millions and millions of dollars for it every day), we would do lots of crazy singles with all sorts of names from Norah Jones and Diana Krall to Bono and Jack White and anyone you can think of. We would dominate music and have fun toying with everything we can get our grubby hands on... *sigh*

I would be in a band with talented, dedicated people but without the ambition of making a living off music. We'd switch between a cover band for parties, an acoustic minimal set-up for restaurants, cafe's etc., and work on our own material which would be alternative rock.

That's my problem: I want it all. I don't get an adrenaline rush from playing one musical style.

...In my perfectly scripted musical world.

I would own a coffe bar that had live music every night, and I would be the house drummer. My house band would be a bunch of like minded grey pony tails, and we would play mostly classic pop/rock with a goodly dose of Steve Earle, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Bonnie Raitt, Joni Mitchell, Bruce Cockburn and other y'allternative, whiskey and ciggarette music.

The band would have a rotation of guys and gals, but would include two lead, one rythm guitar players, bass player, keyboards, two decent male, and one female vocalists. One of the guitar players would also play mandolin, dobro, and pedal steel. The keyboard player could double up on accordian, and if I could find such a creature, I would have an ulean piper/tin whistle monster.

From a practical stand point, we would all be older guys n gals with day jobs, and families, who play primarily for the sheer pleasure rather than fame or fortune. Friends first, musicians second. In this musical fantasy of mine, the band would also do some weekend small town festivals with lots of warm lakes, cold beer, and good times.

My acoustic coffee bar would have open jams where people of all ages and musical genres could have a chance to play, network, and hang around with other musicians. This could be an alternative to the bar scene, which in my community is the only place where these jams are currently available. There would be open jam theme nights, such as Metal Monday, Wanker Wednesday, and so on. I would have open stage, caffein Idol, battle of the Bands contests, and the odd "name" act, some up and comers, some on their way outers, and maybe a little bit of stand up comedy. I would also sponsor some drum, guitar, piano, and singer song writer clinics. This would be my atempt at helping to nurture a decent healthy live local music scene.

This is my retirement goal, and when it does come true, you will all be invited to the grand opening. Bring your sticks.

Barry

Last edited:
...In my perfectly scripted musical world.

I would own a coffe bar that had live music every night, and I would be the house drummer. My house band would be a bunch of like minded grey pony tails, and we would play mostly classic pop/rock with a goodly dose of Steve Earle, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Bonnie Raitt, Joni Mitchell, Bruce Cockburn and other y'allternative, whiskey and ciggarette music.

The band would have a rotation of guys and gals, but would include two lead, one rythm guitar players, bass player, keyboards, two decent male, and one female vocalists. One of the guitar players would also play mandolin, dobro, and pedal steel. The keyboard player could double up on accordian, and if I could find such a creature, I would have an ulean piper/tin whistle monster.

From a practical stand point, we would all be older guys n gals with day jobs, and families, who play primarily for the sheer pleasure rather than fame or fortune. Friends first, musicians second. In this musical fantasy of mine, the band would also do some weekend small town festivals with lots of warm lakes, cold beer, and good times.

My acoustic coffee bar would have open jams where people of all ages and musical genres could have a chance to play, network, and hang around with other musicians. This could be an alternative to the bar scene, which in my community is the only place where these jams are currently available. There would be open jam theme nights, such as Metal Monday, Wanker Wednesday, and so on. I would have open stage, caffein Idol, battle of the Bands contests, and the odd "name" act, some up and comers, some on their way outers, and maybe a little bit of stand up comedy. I would also sponsor some drum, guitar, piano, and singer song writer clinics. This would be my atempt at helping to nurture a decent healthy live local music scene.

This is my retirement goal, and when it does come true, you will all be invited to the grand opening. Bring your sticks.

Barry

Holy crap dude, I'm there, just hurry up and get this thing opened. Will you hire me?

Holy crap dude, I'm there, just hurry up and get this thing opened. Will you hire me?

...sorry Vedran.

my plan is to hire really good looking girls, and I am going to put all the coffee cups up high on the shelf so they have to reach way up to.....ooops, that is a different fantasy.

Barry

...sorry Vedran.

my plan is to hire really good looking girls, and I am going to put all the coffee cups up high on the shelf so they have to reach way up to.....ooops, that is a different fantasy.

Barry

No worries, I'll still be there every day listening to the music and watching the girls. Will there be beer, like maybe fine imported ones, or are we just talking coffee here?

No worries, I'll still be there every day listening to the music and watching the girls. Will there be beer, like maybe fine imported ones, or are we just talking coffee here?

...just coffee, tea, and the like.

I want it to be open to all, not just those of legal drinking age.

Barry

...just coffee, tea, and the like.

I want it to be open to all, not just those of legal drinking age.

Barry

I used to work in a "bosnian coffee shop" here in Iowa, and anyone could come in, but he also had a small cooler with Warsteiner, Dos Equis, things like that... If you're just having coffee, you might want to consider more acoustic music or jazzy things. Seems like people listening to "cigarette and whiskey music" would be disgruntled about the lack of alcohol.

I used to work in a "bosnian coffee shop" here in Iowa, and anyone could come in, but he also had a small cooler with Warsteiner, Dos Equis, things like that... If you're just having coffee, you might want to consider more acoustic music or jazzy things. Seems like people listening to "cigarette and whiskey music" would be disgruntled about the lack of alcohol.

...If you build it, they will come.

If people want booze with their music, there are a lot of other places for them to go. In this fantasy coffee bar of mine I am more intersted in catering to those who would like a place where they can come and play. It would not be one of those avante garde bistro snob hangouts for the goatee and birkenstock crowd, although they would be welcome.

When I was a wee young lad, my town was full of music. Back in the late sixties, early seventies, there was hardly a city block that did not have at least one garage band. There were impromptu concerts almost every weekend, and there were a lot of really good musicians. Sadly, those days are long gone, and now we are stuck with a bunch of skinny little warblers that sing as though they are riding a bycicle on a bumpy washboard road, or brooding little bad boys, who if ego and attitude was talent would be bigger than Bono.

(on a side note: when did I turn into the grumpy old neighbor of my childhood ?)

as I sit and type this, Janis Joplin in her own inimitable rough and raw signiture style is belting out Turtle Blues through the speakers hooked up to my Ipod. Further down the office I can faintly hear some anonymous one named prefabricated pop tart who must have swallowed a vibrator before they processed and polished her up for our mass consumption. Yuk.

I do not have any illusions about kick starting another golden age of music, but in my fantasy, I can create a small little musical island where all but the drunk and obnoxious are welcome, and I get to play my drums with a bunch of other like minded farts both old and young.

I am sorry if I have hijacked this thread, and fully understand if the mods remove my post.

Rant closed untill further notice.

barry

Last edited:
Blues rock, local gigs only, steady enough income for me to quit my day job.

1. I would be playing guitar/singing Master Of Puppets live as James Hetfield.

2. James LaBrie singing on "Another Day"

Not much as far as drumming goes...

Back