The Millionth "Bop kit" Thread.

I find that Yamaha Gretsch, and Pearl seem to be on the pricy side for what they give you when it comes to their smaller dimension kits.
This is just my opinion mind you.

I really like the stage custom birch kit, even as a 5 piece. I'm also liking that I'd still have the option of a 20" kick and an extra tom. I've recently joined a 17 piece swing band, so there is bound to be more drumming involved as aposed to just kick and snare. If I ever got another kit it would be black too. If those bop kits were black and had 8 lugs, I'd probably get one. 6 lugs doesn't bother me, but I still think it looks a little odd!

As Brad stated earlier, I indeed have seen the Silverstar in person too and it seemed cheap in comparison to the older superstar, which wasn't all that flash in the first place!

Even though i'm totally against deforestation, I do like the sound of Luan kits like old exports and the cat jazz, they have the warm vintage tone to them that you just cant get from sharp bearing edges and hard maple shells, although muffeling can replicate the sound too.

A lot of guys have said that the CCJ has cheap hardware? It *looks* solid to me, but I'll be intruiged if anyone has had bad experiences with them. Nick.

I find that Yamaha Gretsch, and Pearl seem to be on the pricy side for what they give you when it comes to their smaller dimension kits.
This is just my opinion mind you.

+1 Especially the Gretsch Club Jazz.. $650 for a 4 pc shell pack and Philippine mahogany shells. I know they are wildly popular.. I had one myself. For what other makers like Sonor are offering with their Safari and Bop kits. To me, The Sonor stuff is by far the best value!

Look at the Mapex Meridian Maple Manhattan kit as others mentioned. Nothing in the price range compares to this all maple kit!

Attachments

• DSCN1403.JPG
    DSCN1403.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 2,351
Are Stage Customs readily available down there?

They are! $1300 AUS would buy you a full kit. Still, sucks we have to pay a shed load for a kit. I'm tempted to go gretsch as its the only drum company I havnen't played plus they have a stupid resale value that holds. Nobody buys new over here because of the prices, and the second hand market suffers.

I'm looking at the Sonor Bop online at the minute, can get one shipped without hardware for $500, not too bad as sonor hardware isn't too hard to get hold of.

... In the process of selling my Pearl SMX's, they're good but just too big for me with the kick and excessive hardware. ...

I'm really convinced by the silverstar so far, on the basis of bang for buck...

.. I'm after an 18" kick as I'm sick of playing my 22" like a feather with it tuned to F to make it sound more jazzy!...

A couple thoughts - maybe you could look for a smaller bass drum for your Pearl set, and set it up in a different way.

Or, if the Silverstar looks good for you (or the Gretsch), and are available, maybe one of those would be the least hassle. It probably won't be the last kit you'll buy anyways.

Or - you could go with whatever is recommended most. On this forum, that'd probably be the Sonor Bop/Safari or the Mapex Manhattan.

Back