Floor Toms - 14" vs 16" - Yamaha Players?

I'm a weirdo. I use a 14x16 and 16x16. The shallower one is tuned medium to low-pitched to a nice interval down from the 12". The deeper one is just a hair above finger tight and has a double-ply head on it, whereas my 10, 12 and other floor tom are single-ply. It's a thunder bomb, when I need it. Why? I dunno.

I've got my sights set on another Pearl kit with the 14" floor tom. I love the idea of a smaller foot print, and I've never had a problem making a smaller drum sound bigger, but not vice-versa. I'm really looking forward to a 14x14 floor tom. But FWIW, I've never really had problems with 16" floors. Just looking for something a little different these days.

I Had a Yamaha 8,10,12,14,20 and it worked fine ..........but id get both if i could if i were you.......

You mentioned this in another thread. I don't get it. A bigger drum can always be pitched up. But a smaller drum will only go as low as its head tension allows.

How do you mean?

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but when I've tried to make my 16" sound smaller I just get the "basketball effect". And I've tried multiple head combinations and tuning techniques.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but when I've tried to make my 16" sound smaller I just get the "basketball effect". And I've tried multiple head combinations and tuning techniques.

Well maybe you've topped out its tuning, but don't forget sounds from the throne are not the ones heard 'out there'. Or your other toms are tuned on the high side, topping out your lowest tom.

Get a 16....behold the thunda!

Well, I sold off my unused gear today to a local store, and got lowballed for it, as I mentioned in another thread. Came home with a check for $335. The Yamaha kit is brand new for $500 with free shipping, and I cannot find anywhere that has a new one still in stock for that cheap. I believe that, when they were discontinued, Musiciansfriend was selling off their stock for like $300-$400, which is an insanely low price, but I couldn't be that lucky.

I think I can still make it work, though, as I have a rainy day change bucket, and I would say that around 10% of the change in it is dollar coins. That should give me just enough to buy the kit and still pay my rent.

I still have to clean up and sell off my old Rockstar kit, which will help to replenish my funds.

I'm just going to go for the 16" for right now, and I'll hopefully pick up the 14" before long. I want to find a 10" to go with it, but they don't have any in stock. I'll have to keep my eye out.

Thanks for all the input, guys!

You can go too tight. Absolutely. I'd never say you can't. Crank it up so that its getting towards that choke point and you'll get that "basketball effect" that you're talking about, indeed.

But the point is that a larger drum can be cranked way above it's lowest fundamental pitch. Doing so will raise the pitch to something that better resembles a smaller drum. But a smaller drum can go no lower than its lowest fundamental pitch.....anything lower renders the drum unplayable due to there simply not being enough tension in the head to produce a tone.

I always take a 14" to my rock gigs, and I just like them better. But it seems you've made your choice :) 15" are theoretically my perfect size, but they probably don't come in whatever line you're looking at. Have fun with it!

I have to say i am surprised by the number of guys that go 16. Myself yea I prefer to have both 14 and 16, but when I can't have both I just use the 14. Guys a 14" floor tom tuned right will give you way more punch than a 16. 16's don't really punch its more of a low tone. They don't have the attack a 14 has. Just my 2 cents.

I just got them yesterday, and the 16" was definitely the way to go for me. It was quick and easy to tune up just right, even with the stock pinstripes, and it has tons of punchy low end that you just can't get with a 14". The place I got the kit still has a few 14" floor toms in stock, and I plan to pick one up eventually. I probably won't use it much, but it will be nice to have around when I want it.

Once again, thanks for all the input, everybody.

Back