New Sonor Safari Owner/Question re: Kick Drum

Van Hammersley

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and hopefully not dredging up something that's been discussed a million times (I did a quick search around and didn't notice topic)...

But I just took delivery a Sonor Safari kit. I setup the kick drum, added the riser, and discovered my pedal chain hits the hoop, when placing the pedal in what would be a normal position for me. In order to get it to 'not' rub the chain/hoop, the pedal needs to be pulled away, which over extends the kick motion. I actually had the same problem with my Gretch Catalina Club kit (18" kick) using the included lift...

My questions are:

1. Are others having this problem? What did you do to fix?
  2. Is it possible on a kick drum like this to replace the hoop with a regular 16" tom rim on the batter side, and use a tom head vs. kick rim/head?

Any help would be great. I was really bummed when I discovered this, but I guess I should have expected it, seeing as I had a similar prob with my Gretch kit. I really dig this kit, and hope I can find a workable solution.

Thanks!

Hmm. Never had that problem. Perhaps you can readjust the pedal? adjust the beater cam a little forward so he travel distance doesn't feel like its over-extending? What ki d of pedal is it? Can it be readjusted?

Thx for the reply Bo. I've got a Pearl PowerShifter Eliminator. That's a good idea re: the beater cam. I'm not sure how movable it is (don't have my pedal on hand/at venue for gig), but I will definitely check it out/see.

I did try to tilt the kick back as far as it would go, which I know helps a bit (helped with my Gretch kick), but this Sonor kick doesn't allow much room for adjustment like that...

I did order a 16" tom rim, tom head, and some tension rods to "try" and see if using a tom configuration would work. Worth a shot at least...

Hopefully it's just a matter of tweaking the pedal a bit...what kind of pedal do you use/that worked with your Safari?

Any chance that part of the riser isn't assembled correctly? Do you have a photo of the drum and pedal you can share?

I was using a Tama Iron Cobra Jr., which doesn't have an adjustable cam. So it's strange that you would have to with other pedals. But I made sure the riser was lined up correctly with the hoop and put it on and it worked. It's a little perplexing that you should be having this problem.

When you are using a riser on a bass drum sometimes the footboard will contact the hoop.
A few simple adjustments will prevent this.
Most pedals have a footboard height adjustment.
It is necessary to raise the footboard slightly.
Moving the chain up a link is a common way that footboards adjust.
Other pedals have screws that can be loosened and cams moved for adjustment.

Drum Workshop and some other manufacturers actually cut a small crescent shaped portion of the bass drum hoop away to allow the footboard to pass through. (see pic below from DW website)
I have done this with one of my kits and it worked great.

On my Safari I moved the chain one link to raise the footboard and I didn't cut the bass drum hoop.
I have a Tama Stagestar Jazz kit with metal bass drum hoops and I cut the hoop on that kit when I made my own riser.

Attachments

• drums-jazz-featsopts-bdlifter-9908.jpg
    drums-jazz-featsopts-bdlifter-9908.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 2,927
Last edited:
I have the Gretsch Cat Jazz kit and I have three different pedals and have had no problems with any of them and the riser. I think you just need to try to adjust your pedal. John

Eighteen inch bass drums rule! (I just bought a 22" so that I would have a choice.) I have not had any problem using three various pedals with my 18" bass drum, using both the Gretsch riser that came with it and the Gibraltar riser I use now. Peace and goodwill.

Hey.. if Erskine don't need no steeking riser....!?!?

I thought I would share with you all my resolution to the pedal/beater angle problem with the Safari bass drum hoop. The result was win - win... giving both my retired father a project to do as well as me greater joy out of the improved Safari pedal angle action. Half hour, Dremel tool, file and black Sharpie marker for finishing touches.

Attachments

• cut1.jpg
    cut1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,766
  • cut2.jpg
    cut2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 2,550
  • cut3.jpg
    cut3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 2,081
I did a similar thing to mine. Using an old single chain DW5000 accelerator that I had around, I just cut a small slot for the chain.

I need to get a memory lock thing for the riser so it's always in the same place. I put some tape on it so I'm close. But every so often I have it in too far and the pedal rubs even with the slot.

Back