Big Ludwigs Incoming

Sorry - wasn't me! Those Luddies are beautiful though! I think you'll find to get that really cool thunderous sound, you will tune them all up from where you think they should be. That's how you get the projection. Once you re-head the kit, try tuning them up and see what you get. You will be amazed ;) Congrats!

awesome shot side by side with the Sonor kit. It looks like a 30 inch bass drum!!

Wow a Mach Lug kit, cool!

My Black Cortex 14x24 is an amazing sounding drum. Never sounded just OK, no matter what heads I tried on it over the years (MANY haha!). Even with the mods I did to it over the years--If I had only known... it was just an old model drum back when I got it in 1980... It still sounds awesome though :)

Enjoy your new kit!!

Thanks guys. Yeah Andy that drum carpet is about right for two drum kits and a percussion setup, it's actually just a floor mat from my car, comes in handy. :) :)

Karl, I was hoping you'd chime in. You're right, everything I've tried so far with heads sounds good...but my fav right now is a clear PS3 batter and I just put on a smooth white Aquarian Force II reso head, no port. Nothing inside.

I gotta say, not ported- the bounce is driving me nuts. I don't bury the beater and I have pretty good technique , not bragging just establishing my skill level. So I'm gonna try the small towel between the pedal and head first before the hole cutter comes out.
Really trying to leave the reso head un-ported.

I took the coated Emperors off the toms and put clear ambassadors on, had them already so thought I'd try. Holy bright open tone! I like it for now.

Neal

I gotta say, not ported- the bounce is driving me nuts. I don't bury the beater and I have pretty good technique , not bragging just establishing my skill level. So I'm gonna try the small towel between the pedal and head first before the hole cutter comes out.
Really trying to leave the reso head un-ported.

You can try the (DW) method of venting the reso head. I picked up a 1/2" hole punch and add a few holes till it feels right. Two holes in the 20" head, and four holes in the 22" and 24" heads. You keep the full reso head sound this way.

Attachments

• 8337107596_c5573df02f_z.jpg
    8337107596_c5573df02f_z.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 147
Embrace the rebound! Just think of it as building better technique. I shared a kit with my father in-law's band recently and the feel of the batter head scared the hell out of him, threw off his playing for the gig, funny thing is we have the exact same kit except my kick was cut down to a 14" depth and I use unported, coated heads.

It took some time to get used to the feel but now that I play on the bouncy kick with frequency I am used to the feel and can play on that all day. I can also sit behind a ported kick and feel fine so its not I would have the opposite reaction that my poor father in-law did.

Love the bounce...

Hey Red... I could get used the bounce but I don't want to...as much as I love this 24" - I need to play 18, 20 and 22" bass drums on a regular basis. Just want to get it a little more in line with the norm. It's not that big a deal I suppose, there are several ways to fix this.

Hole punch -good one Mendo! But I'm not brave enough to try that yet. Looks like something I would f$%K up and ruin my brand new reso head. I've ruined reso heads before...

Neal

....Hole punch -good one Mendo! But I'm not brave enough to try that yet. Looks like something I would f$%K up and ruin my brand new reso head. I've ruined reso heads before...

Neal

If you decide to try it, put a block of wood under it - and use a big hammer. LOL
It takes a really good whack to punch clean through. Those heads are surprisingly tough.

If you decide to try it, put a block of wood under it - and use a big hammer. LOL
It takes a really good whack to punch clean through. Those heads are surprisingly tough.

And they should be. If I had to buy new heads every week, I'd pick up the tambourine instead.

Back