Where to play my kit?

Fission

Dear all,

I am now posting my second major dilemma. I am currently attending lessons with an incredible instructor and I get to practice an twice a week on the set with him (1 hour each) and then I get some extra time to play at this spot in the city where I pay hourly. I have about $1500 to spend and I'm DYING to have a set to practice on because when I get on the set I can play for hours on end. Here's my issue: I live in an apartment and have no where to play an acoustic set.

My instructor really says I should be practicing on an acoustic but if I absolutely have to, an electric is better than nothing. I've tried out some electric sets like the Roland TD-9SX, TD-20, etc and they're really nice. The problem is they really do feel different than an acoustic set. Yeah, the mesh heads are close but if you have any rubber pads (like a cheaper electric set) or the rubber cymbals, it just is a WORLD of a difference. The rubber cymbals don't feel anything like a real cymbal and give a totally false sense of bounce.

I guess what I'm asking is: is my only hope an electric set? If so, anything you would recommend to practice on that sounds decent but isn't too expensive? I don't think I want to go all out on a TD-9 right now because I have hopes of a buying a nice acoustic set in the future. Do you think the Yamaha DTXPLORER is worth it or should I look at something else? Thanks again in advance!

Also...I just realized this post may have been more suitable for general discussion and to the mods, I'm sorry!

-Fission

i use a yamaha dtxpress for practice at home (for noise reasons) and i really like it. it's definitely better than not practicing at all. way better, in fact. it's fun too. i love to play along to songs you can mix in from an ipod, and it has a built in metronome, as well as millions of other features. you should still get an acoustic kit, but practicing on an e-kit is not such a disaster.

I am SO thankful I own a home and do not have this dilema! When I was a kid one of my buddies use to rent out a self storage place and he set his kit up in there and that is where he use to go and practice...not too feesible now days...hate to hear when guys cannot play their kit or even get one because they have no place to put it let alone play it...that SUCKS.

Good luck,
JIM

Sorry to hear about that. But situations like this sometimes tend to produce great drummers in the end. Obstacles equal desire which equals determination. Not to say that facilitation has not produced great drummers hell ya! But the opposite is also true.
I didn't own a drumset until I was 21 yrs. old. after having played for 6 yrs. Before that I would get my friends to help me carry the schools drumset home everday long holiday, xmas (in the snow) easter etc. March break. And when I got it home I battled to play my parents just couldn't stand the noise.
I wanted a kit so bad but couldn't afford it, but I was determined regardless. 25 years later the fire is still lit, I look forward to sitting on my kit to play everyday, thank god. Now, I own a home and pretty much play anytime I want. My wife also loves drums double bonus.

hate to hear when guys cannot play their kit or even get one because they have no place to put it let alone play it...that SUCKS.
I don't have much room for my kit either, I really have to think "Have I got room for this?" before I buy anthing. It shouldn't be a factor for anyone.

Sorry to hear about that. But situations like this sometimes tend to produce great drummers in the end. Obstacles equal desire which equals determination. Not to say that facilitation has not produced great drummers hell ya! But the opposite is also true.
I didn't own a drumset until I was 21 yrs. old. after having played for 6 yrs. Before that I would get my friends to help me carry the schools drumset home everday long holiday, xmas (in the snow) easter etc. March break. And when I got it home I battled to play my parents just couldn't stand the noise.
I wanted a kit so bad but couldn't afford it, but I was determined regardless. 25 years later the fire is still lit, I look forward to sitting on my kit to play everyday, thank god. Now, I own a home and pretty much play anytime I want. My wife also loves drums double bonus.

Yes, it is a HUGE BONUS when the wife does not mind the drums as well...mine is very open to them in our house as well as the kids...PLUSSSSS

Thanks so much everyone for the support so far.

diosdude, I have looked at acoustic silencers before and from what everyone says (including my instructor) they just don't work. They say that the drums will still be way too loud, especially the bass, and make them sound terrible. Has anyone had any experience with these?

I recommend you check out putting mesh heads on an acoustic kit. Put rubber dampers on your cymbals. Then you have the kit you want and the feel is about like an electric kit but at least you purchased the acoustic kit that will benefit you once you get a real studio spot to practice in.

I recommend you check out putting mesh heads on an acoustic kit. Put rubber dampers on your cymbals. Then you have the kit you want and the feel is about like an electric kit but at least you purchased the acoustic kit that will benefit you once you get a real studio spot to practice in.

I'm with jamn on this one. I have mesh heads that I used as a bargaining chip for getting my first kit. I don't have them on anymore :D, but they are surprisingly quiet and they feel closer than any other silencer. This way you can have a nice acoustic kit, practice, and be quiet. I'd really look into it.

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10051&langId=-1&productId=186606

Back