Your personal record for most songs learned in the shortest time?

Subbing for a Tina Turner tribute show. About 25 songs to learn in a week, but what made it particularly nerve-wracking was that the whole thing was on click because there were some pre-recorded musical parts and synchronized visuals, and virtually no gaps between songs, so really it was more like learning two hour-long, very complicated songs, and a single mistake would have ruined the whole thing.

I'm sure it would have been nothing to someone with more experience at that sort of gig, but it was one of the hardest gigs I've ever done! Fortunately, I nailed it, and was asked to take over as the main drummer for the show, but declined (it was fun, but not enough to want to do it over and over...).

200 songs in about three years.

38 songs in 2 weeks.

10 for my old Metal band that had a booked gig on the books
16 for a wedding reception.
12 for a recording I took, had 3 days for that gig.

My brain was mush and I don't think I could do that again.

Subbing for a Tina Turner tribute show. About 25 songs to learn in a week, but what made it particularly nerve-wracking was that the whole thing was on click because there were some pre-recorded musical parts and synchronized visuals, and virtually no gaps between songs, so really it was more like learning two hour-long, very complicated songs, and a single mistake would have ruined the whole thing.

I'm sure it would have been nothing to someone with more experience at that sort of gig, but it was one of the hardest gigs I've ever done! Fortunately, I nailed it, and was asked to take over as the main drummer for the show, but declined (it was fun, but not enough to want to do it over and over...).

Man those are nerve-racking! Glad you nailed it!

3 guys from work and I (we've never played music together before), learned 12 songs well enough to be passable last night. They were all popular classic rock songs. Fortunately we have another month before the work picnic to tighten everything up. I like a challenge, and used the guitarist's poor old used up Ludwigs instead of my set.

Back