Bass Drum Size and fitting in Car

I've got a 5 door Focus. Fits my 22x18 kick in, rest of the shells and most of the gear including my guitarists cab and amp all in the back (seats down obv!) No room shotgun as he needs somewhere to sit!

some how i fit my 22x20 bassdrum into the trunk of my moms bmw 5series, it took a couple minutes to get it in n about 10 to get it out but it worked

22X18 with soft case into 4door maxima, back seat no problem and no seat belt but I have a doctors note. LOL

Same drum with hard case I would have to roll it in, it would not fit in straight.

'89 Toyota 60s series Land Cruiser. I can fit the entire 7 piece kit except for the cymbal case in the boot. =)

I have a 2007 Honda Fit. I have yet to put a drum kit in it, but my mom used it to help my brother move into his college dorm so it can hold a good bit.

I thought I would start a thread listing the biggest bass drums that are known to fit in various Car models

BMW 3-Series - 20"x16" in soft bag fits in backseat 20" in H&B hardcase doesn't fit

Has anyone fit a 22" into a 3-series?

Please list your car and the biggest bass drum that you can fit.

Wayne
I don't know about the Beemers, but back in the 80's, I drove a '68 Bug.
I was able to fit a full 5-piece kit + hardware and cymbals and still have a spot to carry a passenger, If I needed / wanted to.

The 14" snare drum sat on top of the 16" floor tom in the back seat.
The 22" bass drum sat next to those.
The 12" & 13" toms were laid on their sides and placed in the little section behind the back seat.
The hardware would sit in the footwell for the back seat. Turns out I had the stands set just tall enough to fit in the car (of course, those el-cheapo "ROC" stands I used weren't all that tall to begin with).

If I needed to carry a passenger, I would wrap the cymbals in a shirt and set them under the front bonnet.
This opened up the front seat for a passenger to ride in.

...and none of it was "crammed". It all fit very nicely and the snare drum never fell off the top of the floor tom.

In 1985, the Bug was replaced by a 1973 Chevrolet Vega GT Wagon.
That car had 50 cu. ft. of load space with the rear seat folded down.
I could carry the above kit, plus an additional 14" floor tom, two guitars, a bass and a Peavy 410 amp...AND a passenger in the front seat.
Sometimes I wish I still had that car. I gotta lot of great memories of "Red Rover".

Elvis

Last edited:
How big is Terry Bozzios car??????
950_420_280_crop_50fe6.jpg

=)

Elvis

Back