So, how frivolous is this?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I've been touting the Tama Stagemaster single-braced stuff for some time now. I even love the Iron Cobra JUNIOR pedals (got two). However - the Stagemaster hi-hat finally gave out and I had to replace it.

Of course, I kept telling myself I'd get the same thing again. But in a frivolous move, I found my old DW baseball cap I received as a gift for buying a new DW kit long ago. Then I thought, "I wish I had some DW stuff so I could justify wearing the hat!"

So, I picked up a nice really heavy DW5500D three-legged hi-hat stand that you can jack a truck up on. And you know, I love it. I missed having one - now my hats don't go anywhere.

Then I thought, "you know, it'd be nice if my bass drum pedal matched my hi-hat pedal - and maybe somebody would give me a DW t-shirt for getting one!". So the next visit to the Guitar Center brought home a DW5000 turbo single pedal, and the guy even threw in a t-shirt to sweeten the deal!.

I play so much better now ;) Pretty girly story, eh? But true.

I don't think it's frivolous. There's nothing wrong w/ treating ourselves to some nice stuff once and awhile. It's not like it's being bought to sit on a shelf and look good. Go for it and enjoy it.

I never really understood why DW's hihat stands are so ridiculously expensive. I own a 5500 myself, that I bought used on craigslist. When compared to my taye 6000 series hi hat stand, which is equally as heavy, and cost $85 brand new, I don't think the 5500 was worth it. I also like the clutch on the taye stand much more, because it makes it very easy to take the top hat off, because it uses a slot that locks into place with a twist.

Congrats on the shirt though.

.......... Then I thought, "you know, it'd be nice if my bass drum pedal matched my hi-hat pedal - and maybe somebody would give me a DW t-shirt for getting one!".

!?!?!?!?!?

Yep, you said it.......girly it is. Don't trip over your new gucci, go-faster, matching pedals now will you. :)

I've been touting the Tama Stagemaster single-braced stuff for some time now. I even love the Iron Cobra JUNIOR pedals (got two). However - the Stagemaster hi-hat finally gave out and I had to replace it.

Of course, I kept telling myself I'd get the same thing again. But in a frivolous move, I found my old DW baseball cap I received as a gift for buying a new DW kit long ago. Then I thought, "I wish I had some DW stuff so I could justify wearing the hat!"

So, I picked up a nice really heavy DW5500D three-legged hi-hat stand that you can jack a truck up on. And you know, I love it. I missed having one - now my hats don't go anywhere.

Then I thought, "you know, it'd be nice if my bass drum pedal matched my hi-hat pedal - and maybe somebody would give me a DW t-shirt for getting one!". So the next visit to the Guitar Center brought home a DW5000 turbo single pedal, and the guy even threw in a t-shirt to sweeten the deal!.

I play so much better now ;) Pretty girly story, eh? But true.

Yep.

It's time to go shoe shopping now. You can't have old ratty shoes playing on your new pedals.

Treat yourself to a mani pedi too. You deserve it.

Congrats on the new gear, BTW.

I never really understood why DW's hihat stands are so ridiculously expensive. I own a 5500 myself, that I bought used on craigslist. When compared to my taye 6000 series hi hat stand, which is equally as heavy, and cost $85 brand new, I don't think the 5500 was worth it. I also like the clutch on the taye stand much more, because it makes it very easy to take the top hat off, because it uses a slot that locks into place with a twist.

Congrats on the shirt though.

Yeah, but Drum Workshop rolls off the tongue better than Taye. You gotta have more than one syllable ;)

And I did get new shoes a week ago (it's rare to find Nike tennis shoes that aren't cross-trainers or runners) too. I'm considering the mani-pedi though. Maybe Mo would be up for that....

Bo, you're a cheap promo merchandise slut. That latest job with the famouse appendages is clearly getting to you, lol!

You know, it is. The new drums showed up at the warehouse the other day for the gig - a number of Yamaha Oak Custom drums, hardware and a collection of Paiste cymbals to try. They told me it doesn't matter that all the drums don't match because they'll be covered anyway. But I've always loved the Oak Customs - closest thing to my bubingas. At some point I'll set 'em up and tune them, and then they get mounted for rehearsals.

Amazing that these beautiful drums will be living on a rolling platform stored outside, eh? (I can feel everyone wincing!) Probably after a year of that we'll trash 'em and get more.....

Well. I can see why you like the DW5000 series kick pedal, it's an "industry" standard ... I had a single and a double, for years. And when I played a friends kit, his IC Junior reminded me very much of the DW5000.​
As far as the DW hi-hat stand ... had one ... sold it ... a jack stand it was. Being my hi-hats weight "way less" than my car, I just didn't see the need. My Steve Gadd era Yamaha single braced hi-hat stand (700 series) fits the bill quite well, for a traditional hi-hat stand .... and my Yamaha WHS 860S ... rack mounted, cable operated, places "almost anywhere", sweet !!!​

Well. I can see why you like the DW5000 series kick pedal, it's an "industry" standard ... I had a single and a double, for years. And when I played a friends kit, his IC Junior reminded me very much of the DW5000.​
As far as the DW hi-hat stand ... had one ... sold it ... a jack stand it was. Being my hi-hats weight "way less" than my car, I just didn't see the need. My Steve Gadd era Yamaha single braced hi-hat stand (700 series) fits the bill quite well, for a traditional hi-hat stand .... and my Yamaha WHS 860S ... rack mounted, cable operated, places "almost anywhere", sweet !!!​

Yeah, I've noticed that every pedal I tend to own feels just like a DW500 in the end, which for me, means it really feels like the original Camco chain-drive before DW took over production. I've even made the Trick über-expensive pedal feel like a DW5000.... And I know I probably go back and forth about the hat stand - I really dug how simple and light the single-braced Tama Stagemaster was, but I guess I'm in a "I'm tired of the hi-hat sliding away from me" mood this time around. I had debated getting the DW3500 or the DW7000 single-braced, but the 3500 seemed too thin for the money, and the 7000 wasn't that much cheaper than the 5500D and had to be ordered.

now i feel bad about having mating 9000 pedals :$

but my pearl did give out in fairness so i thought id treat myself :p bloody heavy though.

however. congratulations on the new gear and getting them to throw the shirt in :)

Yeah, I've noticed that every pedal I tend to own feels just like a DW500 ..... the original Camco chain-drive before DW took over production. I've even made the Trick über-expensive pedal feel like a DW5000....
And there ain't nothin' wrong with that. Billy Cobham played Camco's, hard, great pedal. The "only" improvement you could make on it really, was the floor plate. Which DW did. And basically built their empire upon that foundation.

And there ain't nothin' wrong with that. Billy Cobham played Camco's, hard, great pedal. The "only" improvement you could make on it really, was the floor plate. Which DW did. And basically built their empire upon that foundation.

Yeah, I guess if I really wanted to stick with a unique-feeling pedal, I would have kept using a Ludwig Speed King or a Ghost. Those are the only two pedals that I've found with feels that cannot be replicated on other pedals.

So now I have a couple of Iron Cobra Jr.'s up for sale if anyone wants them. They feel just like DW5000's!

Well, Bo, one thing i can say is that i was using iron cobra double pedals, and once i bought my DW 8002B double pedal, i noticed an instant and huge improvement in my playing.

I love how heavy these pedals feel, i know everyone is going for lighter, but man, the footboard follows my foot, and the heavy beater really thumps out the kicks, I love DW pedals.

I have not had an opportunity to check out the hi hat stands yet, but my gibraltar stand is perfect (has the neat little ring for adjusting the hi hat distance on the fly....if anyone knows what im talking about) Though i do occasionally stomp on it and the top hat slides way up

For the price of a 5000 series single pedal, you can get a taye 602c double pedal. The 600 series of pedals is second only to the taye's metalworks pedals which are comparable to dw's 9000 series.

i'm done ranting...

so, 5000s in the same position. and DW is more reliable and a household name. id still rather have the DW over the Taye anyday. but im biased (A)

8000s are pretty much the same as a 9 but with different spring assemblies so not really a lot differnt between the two

Back