My new Ludwig Classic maples!!!!!

Bonzobilly

Ok so first I need to do some explaining and take some of my words back. I have posted several threads involving the IMMINENT arrival or lack thereof reguarding my order with Ludwig. The 3 month wait ballooned to 6 months.Whoever my dealer spoke to said the reason was due to the large sizes and the birdseye finish I ordered. This was ridiculous and unacceptable to me. So I decided to abandon the Ludwig custom dream. Though a part of me felt that I was spiting only myself, I couldn't get by the double than quoted turn around coupled with the lame excuses as to why. My dealer had a Gretsch Brooklyn kit and I took that home. This was 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, the store called me to tell me the drums had come in. He said he was just going to sell them since having a kit of that magnitude in stock is a great thing. I went to the store, looked at them and realized how dumb I had been. The dealer hadn't spoke to anyone at Ludwig or Selmer yet but we deduced that whoever he spoke to 2 weeks ago obviously had no clue. It was then very obvious to me what needed to happen. I went home and brought back the gretsch and came home with Blondie!!! I must say that Ludwig did, in fact, complete their end of the bargain, as quoted. And what a beautiful piece of American craftsmanship it is. My apologies to anyone who has followed my journey of indecisiveness. Also, my apologies to Monroe. You have built a beautiful set of drums. Lastly, and most importantly, I must thank my wife. Cyberworld can ignore me but my wife has to live with me and this craziness!! She has been supportive and understanding all the way through this!!!!!! Now without further interruption............

18x24
11x13
16x16
16x18
8x14

All classic lugs except snare which has mini lugs, die cast hoops and p86 throwoff.
Keystone brackets, elite spurs, die cast claws and oval badges.

Attachments

• ludwig1.JPG
    ludwig1.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,669
  • ludwig2.JPG
    ludwig2.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,609
  • ludwig3.JPG
    ludwig3.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,489
  • ludwig4.JPG
    ludwig4.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,713
  • ludwig5.JPG
    ludwig5.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,475
  • ludwig6.JPG
    ludwig6.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,457
  • ludwig7.JPG
    ludwig7.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,470
Congratulations! Being the owner of a set of Classic Maples myself, I completely agree with your assessment of the craftsmanship coming out of Monroe, NC. Your drums are beautiful!

Beautiful Kit!!! I love my Ludwig kit, I haven't owned any kit like it. The drums just sound amazing. I didn't care for the stock heads but once they are changed it really comes to life.

Gorgeous! I have to ask, why did you decide to go with a 13X11 rack? That seems like a power tom kind of thing.

Went the "power 5" config purposely, of course. I wanted big drums for big grooves! Also, when the time comes, it's very easy to order up different tons to expand.

Thanks for all the compliments guys! Karl, I just wanted to say that I haven't been on this board very long but I've read tons of posts with advice, info and feedback of yours. Your honesty, even keeled and tepid responses have helped me a bunch. Thanks! Of course, the fact that I love luddys must help! ;)

........and that gretsch kit was awesome. Too bad I couldn't keep that too. Think that would put wifey over the edge!

Welcome to the Classic Maple club! I've been digging mine for almost two years now and I get as excited playing them, and even looking at them, as I did when I first took them home.

Those drums are beautiful! Congratulations and enjoy them!

Good things come to those who wait.

Ludwigs make their frequent "late entrance" to the party then (as usual) steal the show. I don't blame you. There's no way anyone could go back to that store, look at the kit they just gave up and not take it home. Congrats.

Awesome kit. And 13, 16, 18, 24, no less.....my favourite sizes to boot! You and Vinnie both with your new birdseye Luddies are makin' me jealous.

Enjoy!!

Those are gorgeous..............and yes, classic.

I currently have some Ludwig natural birch Epics that I love and, back in the 70s, I owned a set of Ludwigs that I should have kept as well............beautiful mahogany finish.

I'm hoping you like the oversized shells............I own a set of Gretsch USA customs with similar sized shells..........the 24" bass is a monster.

Congratulations on your new toys !

Beautiful drums.I'd say worth the wait.Creating perfection just takes time.....creating the near impossible just takes a little longer.Tune,play......enjoy:)

Steve B

so I've been dialing the kit in over the past two days and boy, This thing sings like no other. Tough to find words, really. Warm,open,project well. Simply wonderful. The kick drum is a monster amongst monsters.

Back