Turning the tables

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
It would be so cool that instead of getting relegated to occupying the back of the stage, hidden from view, us drummers all move out front, and let the guitar players stand in the shadows for once. After all, we are the most exciting person onstage to watch, right? If a poll was taken, asking non musician audience members which musician is the most exciting to watch, what do you think they would say? My vote would be singers, drummers, percussionists, guitarists, horn players, then keyboardist.

I'm so sick of videos where you can't see the drummer 99% of the time.
And those camera men that focus on the singers mouth. Really, back it up and show the big picture a little more and, show the drummer! Who's with me?

I agree with you 100%. But I prefer to be in the back, away from the spotlight. As long as I'm heard, it's not that important to me, that I am seen.

I understand the sentiment, but I think I'm probably pretty boring to watch. I don't move much and I keep a pretty blank look on my face.

I saw a show where the drummer's kit was at the front of the stage, but set up sideways on the far left side. It was great because the audience could see him quite well, but he wasn't in-your-face-front-and-center, and the rest of the band was still visible.

I have played a couple shows at a venue with a small stage and walls on three sides. The rest of the band essentially made up the fourth wall up front and I was behind them, completely invisible to the audience. I don't mind being in the back though.

I like what Metallica do, where the stage is in the middle of the audience like an island if you see what I mean drum kit is in the middle of the stage. All the other members run around the kit

Yeah, I don't want to be front and center, but I wouldn't mind being able to be seen equally.

Having been a guitarist first, I guess I'm used to being up front. If I were to play drums live, I don't think I'd necessarily want to be up front. But I'd like to be seen. I'd probably insist on a respectable riser to get me visible. I have always liked to feed off the crowd when playing live. And I don't think I'd be satisfied if I remained only partially visible during a show.

I saw a show where the drummer's kit was at the front of the stage, but set up sideways on the far left side. It was great because the audience could see him quite well, but he wasn't in-your-face-front-and-center, and the rest of the band was still visible.

Incubus has been setting up like this their past few tours. Jose's kit and playing looks great from this angle.

I also hate when the majority of the shots on video are of the singer, and everyone else is left out. It's just the price you pay when you hire team full of non musicians to produce and edit your dvd.... Makes me sad.

I also hate when the majority of the shots on video are of the singer, and everyone else is left out.

I've seen any amount of footage where during an instrumental/solo section, with virtuoso/legendary players are wailing away, with the camera zoomed in tight on... the vocalist! Wow, that was really awesome. You know, with the rhythmic clapping and the looking over the shoulder.

Makes me want to punch music.

I just wrapped up a gig where the leader had me center stage, dead center. The bass and rhythm guitars were on either side of me and to the back of me. The two singers were to my left up front of the stage and the leader - lead guitar - yup - you guessed it, almost in front of me to the right and out front of everyone else. Tjhe spotlight always had to be on him.

This was such a bad set up because both bass and rhythm guitars were also utility percussionist and I had to turn and look over my shoulders to make sure we were in sync and started at the same time because the leader didn't believe in counting us off - nor would he let anyone else. This ds of a leader kept asking "what's wrong, what's wrong, ...." whenever I got an annoyed look on my face from having to turn so much.

I suggested that instead of me center stage, I move to the back, center stage, and move the two guitars up a bit in front of me on either side. The ds told me he didn't wanna do that, cuz it "didn't look good". I replied "who gives a sh&t!"

This egomaniac pulled some strings and I was out of the band for "arguing". All my bandmates were shocked. I wrote a rebuttal letter to his bosses, so maybe they'll do something. Either way, I'm out of a no win situation. This leader had an ego the size of the universe and couldn't sing well anyway, much less lead a band.

I think he was jealous because I have a better job, make a lot more money, and have more education than he does....

There's a local funk band called "Five Alarm Funk" which sets the drums and percussion front and centre; the rest of the band sets up in a semi-circle around the front-line.

Very, very effective in their case.

I think it just depends on the situation, and personalities involved on whether it will work or not.

I've set up sideways facing across the stage on several occasions. I admit I'm crazy about not looking directly at the audience. And, even with decent monitors, the difference in the on-stage sound took a bit of getting used to. Like anything, the more you do it, the easier and more comfortable it gets.

I like what Metallica do, where the stage is in the middle of the audience like an island if you see what I mean drum kit is in the middle of the stage. All the other members run around the kit

Yea, there was a Peter Gabriel concert in Milan, Italy that I watched on TV and his drummer was in the middle of the "island" more or less. I thought it was cool!

When we went from a four piece to a three piece, I was suddenly shocked to see the crowd and not the big moose that was till then usually in front of me. It was a bit strange, but I would never want to be put up front, they can keep the stage for running around on, nekked women and other antics, I'll sit back and drive. I do feel like I get a bit more exposure now and that kinda cool, but I like the lurking in the back feel.

Back