My Kit

joshranwest

Here is my kit (about 3/4 of it actually) minus some cymbals, stands and my percussion stuff. This is my "practice setup/live setup" which is a little stripped down. This is also before the purchase of my prized 1997 Paiste 2002 22" Ride and other Paiste 2002 cymbals. I need new pics of the overhead with my new gear (coming soon)!

Year 2000 Tama Starclassic. Zildjian Z's, K's, and Paiste 2002.

left side (the left crash isnt boomed anymore, it was awkward to play, so I put it on a straight stand, and the tom back on the bass drum
dsc6568.jpg

right side (paiste 2002 china in the extreme right, cut out of the frame slightly)
dsc6587.jpg

recent gig w/the vintage congas
dsc3723.jpg

nice looking kit gotta love the starclassics, everything looks super tight and comfortable to play, thanks for sharing.

Very nice kit there - I imagine those toms are nice and punchy. Gotta love the Zildjian Z's, too. . .

Any particular reason for having a solid resonant head on the bass drum? (i.e. no vent hole)

thanks for the compliments on my babies! and yes, the toms are punchy, but I can slap a fiberskyn head on there and be in sheer bliss with the warmth and smoothness that tamas can bring. right now I am running pinstripes, but getting some new heads here shortly.

I have about 10 different front bass drum heads, from the one pictured (which is actually goat skin - earthtone heads dot com) to solid heads. I use the solid heads I have for added sustain, and boominess. I never put anything IN the bass drum. never have, never will. the solid head also has more rebound for the beater, and it sounds classic to me. I also have some ported heads, which let out more air and are spongier, but sound punchier. its a trade off. I usually use the ported head live, but that gig I was lazy and didnt want to put it on. the sound man said to me "lots of drummers are giving up the ported heads." which to me, makes sense. but thats just me, and my ears.

Josh,

I have Starclassics from the same year. I absolutely love them. I can get any sound out of them that I want, it seems.

It looks like you've got some fairly old Z's, right? They look like the ones I had from about 10 years ago. When the Z Custom crashes first came out, they sounded awesome. They were much more versatile and shimmery than people would think. Then, Zildjian did something to them years later and they all sounded like hell, at least, I thought so.

I switched to Paiste 2002, the whole kit, and I have never looked back. Congrats on the 2002 ride! I have a 24", it is such a pleasure to play.

-Joey

its a very comfrotable kit to play, and every single one of my drum buddies say that about it. I am all about ergonomics in my old (31) age! lol!

joey - you are correct. those are some very old Z-Customs, I think they are first-year. I am hanging on to them! they do sound musical, and very loud. I agree, they changed something (probably the hammering) later and they did sound like hell. these are 1994 I believe.

yeah the starclassics pictured were a little dead until I found the right heads. they sing now.

thanks for the congrats on the 2002! I have 3 2002 cymbals on my kit now, the Z-Customs are only used rarely these days. however, I still play them, and usually at huge live shows where I want the extra volume and security of a manhole cover cymbal thats still musical. I am torn between paiste and zildjian, so I buy both! lol!

Thats a great looking kit man! How do you like all those z's??? From what i've messed with they seem like they're for heavy hitters, but they'll last your forever. The brilliant finish on them looks great and ya gotta love the k hats!

thanks!! the Z's are a good cymbal if you are a heavy hitter, thats what they were designed for originally. I have used them in the past, in my heavier band days. now, that I play americana/folk/country/alternative they arent as musical in that setting, hence the reason I got a set of Paiste 2oo2's. the 2oo2's are incredible, because they are about twice as thin as the Z's and more musical in lower volume settings. the Z's will sing, if you hit them as hard as you can, no lie.

thanks for the compliments!!

NEW PICS from last night's gig. this is my current setup
dsc3904g.jpg

dsc3902b.jpg

dsc3905.jpg

dsc3907o.jpg

Back