Drum track - guess the song part 2!

The more i listen, it sounds Dire Strait-ish to me.

Some of the responses are pretty funny, and some make good sense with Dire Straits (esp. solo Knopfler) sounding quite likely, although that's not it either.

A guess it's time for a hint: the artist is VERY FAMOUS. All forumites - younger and older - should know the name and at least some of the music. The artist is well-known for this track, and it enjoyed/enjoys good airplay.

Hope that helps! :)

Bermuda

I don't know who Jack Johnson is, and I wouldn't qualify Mayer as VERY FAMOUS.

People like Neil Diamond, Paul McCartney, Barry Manilow, Diana Ross, etc are VERY FAMOUS... although it's not any of them either. :)

Bermuda

lol nice tease, Jon ... and i was thinking about Bazza Manilow. Pretty sure it's not a regular band, the track sounds like a session drummer.

This is starting to drive me crazy, like one of those "oh, what's the word?" moments. Hope someone gets it soon!

A guess it's time for a hint: the artist is VERY FAMOUS. All forumites - younger and older - should know the name and at least some of the music. The artist is well-known for this track, and it enjoyed/enjoys good airplay.

Hope that helps! :)

Bermuda

I don't know who Jack Johnson is, and I wouldn't qualify Mayer as VERY FAMOUS.

People like Neil Diamond, Paul McCartney, Barry Manilow, Diana Ross, etc are VERY FAMOUS... although it's not any of them either. :)

Bermuda

See, from these hints, I'm now thinking it's Tom Jones, Perry Como, Barbara Streisand or someone like that, of whom I've never listened to and wouldn't know any of their songs from a hole in the wall.

From the 'style' of drumming, I'm thinking a Clapton track, but can't pin it down?

See, from these hints, I'm now thinking it's Tom Jones, Perry Como, Barbara Streisand or someone like that, of whom I've never listened to and wouldn't know any of their songs from a hole in the wall.

None of them either. As I said, "All forumites - younger and older - should know the name and at least some of the music. The artist is well-known for this track, and it enjoyed/enjoys good airplay."

You guys are thinking too hard about this.

I know I said I wouldn't give any more hints, but suggestions like Perry Como are just so far off-base, I need to give more direction.

This is a male artist, not a band.

He's enjoyed and still enjoys much popularity in the rock & pop world.

And despite my saying "much popularity", he is in fact VERY famous.

And this song is among his best-known tracks.

The drummer on this track - let's call him Bill - was not the drummer usually associated with this artist. :) ((anyone who knows drummer/music history in the rock era will know this!)

You guys are gonna kick yourselves for not getting this sooner.

Bermuda

Okay, you shouldn't need this, but I'll post a longer excerpt so you can get a better sense of the structure. It starts at the top and goes through the 2nd b-section/chorus as follows:

(counting a medium 4/4 tempo, roughly 96bpm)

4-bar intro
8-bar verse
5 1/2 bar b-section/chorus
4-bar intro pattern
8-bar verse
5 1/2 bar b-section/chorus

I'd love to post the whole drum track, it's very expressive throughout the song.

Bermuda

Attachments

• mystery_drums2a.mp3
    1 MB · Views: 194
Stevie Wonder - Superstition.

Last edited:
Warren Zevon, Lawyers Guns and Money......except that's not brushes.......and no bell.......maybe not.....

Last edited:
None of them either. As I said, "All forumites - younger and older - should know the name and at least some of the music. The artist is well-known for this track, and it enjoyed/enjoys good airplay."

You guys are thinking too hard about this.

I know I said I wouldn't give any more hints, but suggestions like Perry Como are just so far off-base, I need to give more direction.

This is a male artist, not a band.

He's enjoyed and still enjoys much popularity in the rock & pop world.

And despite my saying "much popularity", he is in fact VERY famous.

And this song is among his best-known tracks.

The drummer on this track - let's call him Bill - was not the drummer usually associated with this artist. :) ((anyone who knows drummer/music history in the rock era will know this!)

You guys are gonna kick yourselves for not getting this sooner.

Bermuda

Or it's someone who's just so pop most of us never listen to them.

So lets break this down:
Very famous implies this person is beyond just a popular singer, but has reached either cultural icon status, or perhaps crossed over to other fields, such as acting or such.

Cultural icons:
John Lennon immediately comes to mind, but John really wasn't know for having any one drummer associated with him, as he used Ringo, Jim Keltner, Andy Newmark and many others through out his solo years.

Elvis: He was known for primarily using two main drummers, but it's also know he used assorted session players at times. But the late 70's early 80's sound of the drum track doesn't really line up to his most famous songs, and overall, doesn't really make sense.

Bob Dylan: never associated with any one drummer.

Bruce Springsteen: Fits the bill, but someone mentioned him earlier.

Frank Sinatra: Disqualified because he was never in the rock world.

Micheal Jackson, again never associated with any one drummer, as he used many different guys at different times.

Crossed over into other fields:
Rick Springfield: Not sure he qualifies as very famous in the way mentioned.

William Shatner/Don Johnson/assorted actors who have released vocal albums: Never had multiple hits.

Sony Bono: Didn't have hits as a solo male singer, and his political career wasn't that famous.

Donny Osmond: Didn't have hits as a solo male singer, and who can actually name any of his songs anyway?

I don't know, other than I'm stumped.

A good start would be to make a list of famous songs played with brushes. Lou Reeds "Walk On The Wild Side" is the only one I can think of, but that's not it.

Famous brush songs?

I don't know why, but this track reminds me of Boz Scaggs' Lowdown.
I know that's not it, but damn, it's familiar, but I just can't put my finger on it.

Or it's someone who's just so pop most of us never listen to them.

So lets break this down:
Very famous implies this person is beyond just a popular singer, but has reached either cultural icon status, or perhaps crossed over to other fields, such as acting or such.

Cultural icons:
John Lennon immediately comes to mind, but John really wasn't know for having any one drummer associated with him, as he used Ringo, Jim Keltner, Andy Newmark and many others through out his solo years.

Elvis: He was known for primarily using two main drummers, but it's also know he used assorted session players at times. But the late 70's early 80's sound of the drum track doesn't really line up to his most famous songs, and overall, doesn't really make sense.

Bob Dylan: never associated with any one drummer.

Bruce Springsteen: Fits the bill, but someone mentioned him earlier.

Frank Sinatra: Disqualified because he was never in the rock world.

Micheal Jackson, again never associated with any one drummer, as he used many different guys at different times.

Crossed over into other fields:
Rick Springfield: Not sure he qualifies as very famous in the way mentioned.

William Shatner/Don Johnson/assorted actors who have released vocal albums: Never had multiple hits.

Sony Bono: Didn't have hits as a solo male singer, and his political career wasn't that famous.

Donny Osmond: Didn't have hits as a solo male singer, and who can actually name any of his songs anyway?

I don't know, other than I'm stumped.

Donny had a few. See list.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-11-06 at 4.11.41 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-11-06 at 4.11.41 PM.png
    84 KB · Views: 258
Back