Headbanging with headphones

T

ThisSpitefulSnake

Haha, I want to headbang in my drum videos like Joey Jordison does live, but do you guys have any idea how I could still hear the music and be able to headbang? Studio headphones go over your head so your hair won't go anywhere and the small ones that go inside of your ear fall out too easily or don't have sound compressing qualities. There's this guy on Youtube who headbangs and still plays to the music on time so I don't know :/ Any suggestions appreciated.

Ok, here's a video of what I'm trying to do so you guys can get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8G_Q5lsNN4

Last edited:
I think I have a solution for you. A while ago I was looking at studio headphones that go over your ears and they're f*cking expensive, so I went searching on the net for ways around it...

Get a pair of regular 'in your ear' style headphones, put them in, then over the top put a pair of ear defenders like they use on building sites and shooting ranges. You can probably twist the ear defenders round to the back of your head, (keeping them over your 'in your ear' headphones), and pull your hair out over the ear defenders.

The only thing that you'll need is a mini-jack extension lead as 'in your ear' style headphones don't have very long leads. It's exactly what I do when I'm recording and it works perfectly. Those studio headphones are about £60...this method costs about £10 max.

Oh, cool man. I've already got some "in your ear" headphones laying around. I just need to get those ear defender things and I think I'll be good, I just use my ipod to play songs. Just looking to make my vids look cooler by headbanging and to kinda let myself go and really get into it when drumming. Thanks.

This will make you look kinda stupid, but wearing your headphones with a headband would easily (and cheaply) solve your problem.

Err. I just looked at some of those ear defenders and they are still pretty bulky and would get in the way.

I sorry... but if a drum student came to me with this "problem". I'd probably just change the subject.

;)

Well, I'm not asking about anything to improve my actual playing. I'm just asking for ideas. If you've ever seen Joey Jordison play live, you'll know what I'm trying to do. It looks sick.

Well you can be like me, and blow off your money on some serious audiophile headphones! It's like deliciousness in your ears, and i still got both of my headphones in working amazing condition after 2 years of hardcore use.

I had some ultimate ears bass happy headphones and a pair of shures that i got for 318 dollars.

They never fall out... ever. I run with them on, and I tend to sort of headbang when i run. Never fell out. :)

Keith Moon used to use duct tape his his his headphones on his head.

Which I'd think would be painful when it came time to take them off.

Well you can be like me, and blow off your money on some serious audiophile headphones! It's like deliciousness in your ears, and i still got both of my headphones in working amazing condition after 2 years of hardcore use.

I had some ultimate ears bass happy headphones and a pair of shures that i got for 318 dollars.

They never fall out... ever. I run with them on, and I tend to sort of headbang when i run. Never fell out. :)

Damn, they are expensive! I don't know about that, although it would probably be the best solution.

This will make you look kinda stupid, but wearing your headphones with a headband would easily (and cheaply) solve your problem.

That's what I was thinking, the ol' headphones / sweatband trick.

how about coming up with something similar but original to yourself...or you can just plug up your ears and go for it!

how about coming up with something similar but original to yourself...or you can just plug up your ears and go for it!

I'm not trying to copy him. I just want to headbang while playing drums, many drummers do it. Also, that just won't work, the headphones fall out when I'm not even moving my head.

are those drummers wearing headphones??

if you are playing live and monitors are available you wouldnt need headphones.

are those drummers wearing headphones??

if you are playing live and monitors are available you wouldnt need headphones.

Well, I can't tell if he's playing headphones. But, I'm just trying to make vids of myself playing drums to songs and I can't headbang with headphones. So far, the best solution is getting those $80 - $300 earphones that cancel sound and fit snug with your ears.

LOL! This is awesome. I wanna see a video once you figure it out... You better edit this thing and make a damn good looking video though. Don't go all out and spend a ton of money on headphones only to shoot a bad quality video. Don't skimp! I say buy the best video camera you can first, then worry about the headphone issue...

And for the love of god KEEP US POSTED ON THIS!

LOL! This is awesome. I wanna see a video once you figure it out... You better edit this thing and make a damn good looking video though. Don't go all out and spend a ton of money on headphones only to shoot a bad quality video. Don't skimp! I say buy the best video camera you can first, then worry about the headphone issue...

Haha, thanks dude. Yeah, I'm going to get a mic soon plus the phones would make it cost over $400 and then a new GOOD camera is like $400. I'm not going to have a job until this summer, haha. I'll definitely keep ya posted on it.

Darren King of Mute Math duct tapes his headphones on. You should try it, it adds to his playing / experience.

Totally! haha. I would really love to see this when you get it going on man. Please keep up updated and if you can do a video that would be great. Good luck and be careful on those neck muscles!

Back