New Snare ??

#choke#

ive got a pretty basic kit which i got for christmas 2 years ago, unfortunately due to school costs cant really afford to upgrade my whole kit but the snare is probably the weakest point, can anyone suggest a good custom drum company or any company that has good snares? ... i know i can design my own and pick all these upgrades for it but i dont know to much about that... i play mostly metal / death metal and this snare just isnt cutting it

If money's an issue, I recommend a stainless steel Pearl Sensitone. These are fine drums and wont break a budget.

sort of an issue but quality is what im looking for not good price ... whats a few more bucks in the hole for a sweet snare

Ludwig. Acrolite.

You really can't go wrong with it, and they're on eBay for like $150 average.

I vote for Ludwig. I have two, a Supraphonic and a maple. They're both excellent as are all Ludwig snares. The Ludwig Acrolite is an aluminum shell just like the Supraphonic. They normally have 8 lugs rather than 10, but I just saw a 10-lug 6.5" x 14" acrolite on Ebay. They come in both 5 x 14 and 6.5 x 14.

Been hearing good things and reviews about the Gretsch 13 x 6 chrome over brass you could check that out or theres a 14 x 5 version too

I would suggest a Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum a better built drum than a Acrolite very much the same sound just better built. Also the Ludwig Supralites a very good deal for the money, really super drums, and they come in three sizes. Great drums.

7 year old thread. I wonder what he ended up getting.

I would have recommended the Joey Jordison snare.

Why that's so long ago, he could have bought a brand new Acrolite!

Bha-Dum-Tah!!!

Maybe that got the best of him:
Signature: |x\X/x|Metal Till I Die|x\X/x|
Last Activity: 04-23-2009 01:19 PM

Honestly the Sensitones that came with the vision kits were crap. The hoops, hardware and mechanics all failed very quickly on me. I ended up buying a Chad Smith signature snare for 120$ on sale and it's perfect for me.

Huzzah for forum grave digging

If you're playing metal, you'll want something thick, that cuts through. Something in a cast steel thick (around 3 mm) shell. I've got the ddrum dios and I can't believe how freakin huge it sounds! I know Tama has the Lars Ulrich signature also that's a cast steel shell.

I'd personally keep your eyes on your local craigslist. I've got 3 fantastic deals so far in the past year on snares.

I would suggest a Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum a better built drum than a Acrolite very much the same sound just better built. Also the Ludwig Supralites a very good deal for the money, really super drums, and they come in three sizes. Great drums.

I was looking for an aluminum snare last year, and had pretty much settled on an Acrolite. Then, in a drum shop, I played the Afro and the Pearl Sensitone side by side; the Pearl was the hands down winner! Comparable price too! Really happy with it.

I was looking for an aluminum snare last year, and had pretty much settled on an Acrolite. Then, in a drum shop, I played the Afro and the Pearl Sensitone side by side; the Pearl was the hands down winner! Comparable price too! Really happy with it.

The only reason I would recommend against the Sensitone is that there appear to be two versions of it. One is a supra-clone that sounds really nice. One is an APAC made piece of trash that sounds horrible.

Why they decided that the two should share the Sensitone name is beyond me.

As long as the buyer is careful and knows the difference, I would recommend a good sensitone over an Acro if the price is good. The beauty of the Acrolite is that you can score them for $50 from time to time.

I got one of the aluminum Sensitones when they were being cleared out for the new models.

They called it Sensitone Elite though. Nice drum:

Last edited:
Back