Lacquer vs Wrap - how much does it really matter?

IMO, not much. Lacquer has a bunch of clear coats that has much the same effect as a wrap, from what I've gathered. I've heard wrapped drums that sounded devine.

I own both and I don't think it matters. Purists will argue I'm crazy, but really, I can't tell. It just depends on what you like.

From a non-sound standpoint, I would be a little hesitant to have my wrapped kit sitting outside in the sun for any length of time as I fear the wrap could bubble. But really good wraps don't bubble, I just don't want to find out with my Ludwig Class Maples if the wrap is good enough for the prolonged sun!

Reactions: Jml
a lot of the greatest recording were done on wrapped kits.

Makes no difference as far as I can tell. Wrap is better suited for kits that are frequently banged around from the demands of gigging, etc because it is more resilient.

I used to hold the (tunnel vision) purists idea that lacquer must be better sounding, for decades. That attitude just didn't hold water anymore after years of gigs.

Wrap is the better choice for a gig set IMO. It's hard to see scratches on a lot of wraps because of the patterns. With lacquer, you can't miss the scratches.

Wraps are less expensive too. Nothing wrong there. Wraps look great too.

Get one of those wraps that look like highly figured exotic wood and have the best of both. It's really hard to tell the difference.

The biggest names of all time played ply drums with black oyster, white marine pearl, silver sparkle, and the list goes on. We call them vintage. People pay big bucks to get those wrapped drums to get that sound. I do have natural wood snares, mostly because I like the look. Have had both, can't say that I heard a real sound difference.

My 2 cents.

If you reach to a point where the tonal differences between Lacquer and Wrap are meaningful to your performance, then you're probably already at a point where you use neither and go with a natural/shellac kit like one of Andy's.

My 2 cents.

If you reach to a point where the tonal differences between Lacquer and Wrap are meaningful to your performance, then you're probably already at a point where you use neither and go with a natural/shellac kit like one of Andy's.

And when you get that Guru, make sure you take the bottom heads off the toms, and put a pillow inside that bass drum 😜

And when you get that Guru, make sure you take the bottom heads off the toms, and put a pillow inside that bass drum 😜

Bo, that cracked me up. I'm with the others here. I can't tell any difference between wrap, and lacquer.

And when you get that Guru, make sure you take the bottom heads off the toms, and put a pillow inside that bass drum ��

Why not get those Kickport FX things for all the toms and clip-on Shure SH55's to get the mass up.
11010611002412f.jpg

I've given it a critical listen and I really can't hear the difference between lacquer and wrap either. I'd go out on a limb and say that the natural drum-to-drum variance of any ply-drum manufacturer is likely as great as the variance caused by the selection of finish. I might disagree once my ears mature a bit more.

I would be a little hesitant to have my wrapped kit sitting outside in the sun for any length of time as I fear the wrap could bubble.
UV light affects most lacquer or paint finishes, too. In my case, I am hesitant to leave my kit out in full sunlight for fear of blinding people. It is wrapped in polished stainless steel.

IMO, not much. Lacquer has a bunch of clear coats that has much the same effect as a wrap, from what I've gathered.
this is pretty much the answer to the specific question right here. It's a mass thing. If the lacquer & the wrap are of similar mass, then any affect will be similar. If it's bonded to the shell, then it becomes part of the shell structure, & resonates (or not as the case may be) as a single entity.

My 2 cents.

& this is the extension to the OP's subject. As pretty much the only difference is mass (a notable mention must also go to rigidity under special circumstances too), then what's the affect if you have neither a wrap or a heavy lacquer finish? The answer is very simple, & it's affects relate to the shell type. On a highly resonant (either by thickness, or construction, or both) shell, a change of finish mass can make a worthwhile difference. On a less resonant shell (i.e. the vast majority of shells out there), the difference is either minimal or non existent. "Difference" is not a better or worse statement, it's just different (usually less low dynamic fundamental engagement, etc). Same applies to anything else added to the shell (lugs, brackets, rubber gaskets, etc).

Are you planning on sleeping in a Guru bass drum Bo? We've never made a 16" bass drum, but I suppose we could consider building one so you're not overwhelmed by so much space ;) ;) ;)

Back