I Got The Powah! (Toms) - Ludwig B/O Vintage Super Classic

My favorite combo for "power" sizes, was a Remo Controlled Sound over an Ambassador, so I'd vote for a single ply head on the batter also.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the tips. However, I've decided that the power toms aren't for me. It's more of a playability issue than it is sound. They sound pretty good w/ single ply heads but it's not what I expected -and- I don't like how I have to mount the tom to reach it. You also have to move a lot of air w/ these deeper toms...and I'm too picky about how they feel.

You'll be shocked to know I've already replaced this kit. I can return it to the fellow I bought it from but I thought I'd see if anyone here was interested in it? I'm not looking to make a buck, I'd sell it for what I paid...which was pretty reasonable.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the tips. However, I've decided that the power toms aren't for me. It's more of a playability issue than it is sound. They sound pretty good w/ single ply heads but it's not what I expected -and- I don't like how I have to mount the tom to reach it. You also have to move a lot of air w/ these deeper toms...and I'm too picky about how they feel.

You'll be shocked to know I've already replaced this kit. I can return it to the fellow I bought it from but I thought I'd see if anyone here was interested in it? I'm not looking to make a buck, I'd sell it for what I paid...which was pretty reasonable.

Dude, I've had showers that have lasted longer than some of your kits!

805? Is that military-code for "buck wild"?

I've learned my lesson, no more eBay drums. I'm gettin' off this crazy bus. I don't know enough about "vintage" drums to bother w/ the risk.

Yeah, Something like that. So what's next?

I got a really nice deal on a 3pc (22, 16, 12) Pearl Masters MCX at GC last night. I actually walked in there to get a head and threw a price at them...and they went for it. I was surprised, they never negotiate.

I'll either return them to the seller and take a hit on shipping costs or sell them myself.

I got a really nice deal on a 3pc (22, 16, 12) Pearl Masters MCX at GC last night. I actually walked in there to get a head and threw a price at them...and they went for it. I was surprised, they never negotiate.

Very cool. I've seen those kits at GC also. They look nice. I'm broke supporting my wife at the moment so I can go to GC and not get into too much trouble.

She'll be working again in a couple of months. Oh boy!

Very cool. I've seen those kits at GC also. They look nice. I'm broke supporting my wife at the moment so I can go to GC and not get into too much trouble.

She'll be working again in a couple of months. Oh boy!

It's pretty sweet, I'm happy with it and the price was (very) right. I never had much interest in Pearl drums other than the cheap Forum kit I bought when I first started playing. The sound is thunderous and warm, quality is undeniable...the hardware is excellent - great bang-for-da-buck. I'll definitely be keeping this one for playing out. I got them to throw in a free PowerStroke 3 kick head, a PDP bass drum pillow, and a bass-drum-O. The manager was feeling generous, I think.

I can't wait to see your next snare, Freddy. I'm running out of lines too, so you need to get off the wagon soon!

I can't wait to see your next snare, Freddy. I'm running out of lines too, so you need to get off the wagon soon!

I've been looking at a Jimmy Chamberlin kinda funny lately.

Post some pics of the new kit. We want to see those shinny new tubs.

Take care.

I'd keep the Luddies (kick and floor), sell off the power toms, replace them with a "traditional" sized 6 ply tom (12 or 13), bamm, 2 kits. One set up all the time ready to play, one tore down ready for gigs.

I'd keep the Luddies (kick and floor), sell off the power toms, replace them with a "traditional" sized 6 ply tom (12 or 13), bamm, 2 kits. One set up all the time ready to play, one tore down ready for gigs.

I thought about that...and even thought about suggesting it to my wife. But then I also thought about the things she might do to me in my sleep.

The guy tried to fight me today on the refund, too. eBay is getting worse, as far as quality sellers is concerned. Tough times seems to have brought out the real creeps. I filed a PayPal claim and he instantly changed his tune - they're shipping out today.

To eBay's credit; they seem to have stepped up their "buyer protection" policy w/ the latest round of changes. They've never been so responsive. We'll see how this goes.

Back