Konnakol for Rock

The Hammer

Does a systematic technique exist for modern American rock drumming which utilizes vocalization to communicate the various patterns and licks required to play the drum set which is similar to the system used in South Indian music?

Thanks, Arne. That link seems to be broken. However I am gaining on it now. There is some info out there on this. Sometimes I have to ask a question out loud to end up answering it for myself. Apparently that's one of the lessons here.

The link is broke for me too. I don't see any reason why you can't take an existing vocalization communication technique and apply it to American rock drumming. Are you looking to convey something or to be conveyed to? As far as the existing vocalization communication technique, I am recalling something I read about, but can't recall the name of it. The only thing I remember is it uses the syllables ti and ta, that's all I remember. Someone else could probably fill in the gaps.

I like your line about asking the question out loud, I can relate.

Thanks, LA. I came across it watching Steve Smith practice. I respect the guy immensely, though I wasn't muck of a Journey fan. Phil Rudd, Mitch Mitchell, yup. I'm new at drumming as recently a buddy who I've been jamming with for a long time hooked me out of a Marshall Combo for a set of Yamaha Stage Customs when he upgraded. When I saw the Steve Smith practice, I asked my drummer pal and his brother about the technique employed and bounced it off them what I'm asking here. They laughed about it, but didn't outright deny it was possible.

To answer your question, Dude, I would like it if someone could translate it to me vocally what to play. I like Future Man, Bozzio, Bruford and all those heavy hitters, but I just want to rock, really. The Konnokal thing is rather deep. I understand it is a discipline they make the kids learn and then they can play drums.

I can appreciate ear training, though I've never really mastered that on guitar over 25 years of it. I've noticed the drums seem to be easier to pick out of songs. You know how theoretically some are left and others are right brained? Well I could almost understand Smith in that video. It was like a language I'd heard before although what's the chances of that, huh? lol

Are you looking to convey something or to be conveyed to?

OK perhaps consider this; words are the building blocks of thought. Inner dialogue is talking to yourself, right? The more colorful and descriptive is the language you use, the better is your perspective. Having more ways which one can relate to the same thing creates tools that can be used to more fully understand it. If someone said "tick," or "ding," and it was accepted to represent a certain stroke with the tip of the stick off the bell of the ride cymbal perhaps then you could tick or ding inside your melon while walking the dog or mowing the lawn. Then a guy could practice all day and no one would even know.

Back