Looking for good double bass pedal techniques.

LangeT

I baught my first double bass pedal recently and was wondering about techniques I can use other than the heel toe method. I would also appreciate any exercises that would improve speed or endurance. I understand this style of playing takes years to do properly. Influences are Bring Me The Horizon, Slipknot, Memphis May Fire, Metallica, Nirvana, Led Zepplin, Megadeth, Alice in Chains etc

Last edited:
Practice Stick Control and rudiments with your feet. Don't worry about any particular technique. Just stay loose and pay attention to the sound.

"Other than the heel toe" - what do you mean? Can you do it already? Or don't you like how it feels? Or the sound, as you might not be able to get the 2nd stroke as even as the 1st? Do you imply the 'constant release' technique with heel toe, too? In a way, they're similar but with the constant release approach, the ball of the foot would stay on the footplate all the time and the heel doesn't need to have any contact with the pedal.

Also, keep in mind that with both heel toe and constant release, there's two ways to do it: 'interlaced' (heel/R, heel/L, toe/R, toe/L, etc.) and 'straight' (as I call it - heel/R, toe/R, heel/L, toe/L). They feel very different but I always recommend to learn them both, or at least experiment with them.

Then there's regular singles. Some drummers never bother to learn anything more than singles for their footwork and their feet are amazing! It depends on the speed you want to hit. Doubles should make it easier to hit extreme speed. And then there's swivel which (in my case) takes quite some time learning but I feel it's an even more ergonomic way of hitting/maintaining high speed.

That's the 'technique' side. Then there's the rudiment/pattern aspect. No matter which technique you're using, it's quite a difference to play continuous 16th notes vs. broken patterns or short bursts. 16ths are way easier. Slow down for broken up patterns, address a few of them one at a time (e.g. groups of 3, 4, 5 notes). Try to have your feet rest on the footplate whenever you don't need them being active.

Do a search for foot techniques and double bass playing to find tons of existing threads.

As mentioned, Stick Control is superb. But you need to put in a substantial amount of time. I'd recommend learning the single stroke roll and double stroke roll first. Anything else is merely a combination of those - but not necessarily easy. Then start mixing singles and doubles, e.g. after 2 or 4 bars, then after 1 bar, 1/2 bar etc. The quicker you mix them the harder it gets.

The paradiddle would be a great 'short' combination of singles and doubles. This rudiment will open up the door for a lot more stuff (hard to get the notes even though).

"Other than the heel toe" - what do you mean? Can you do it already? Or don't you like how it feels? Or the sound, as you might not be able to get the 2nd stroke as even as the 1st? Do you imply the 'constant release' technique with heel toe, too? In a way, they're similar but with the constant release approach, the ball of the foot would stay on the footplate all the time and the heel doesn't need to have any contact with the pedal.

Also, keep in mind that with both heel toe and constant release, there's two ways to do it: 'interlaced' (heel/R, heel/L, toe/R, toe/L, etc.) and 'straight' (as I call it - heel/R, toe/R, heel/L, toe/L). They feel very different but I always recommend to learn them both, or at least experiment with them.

Then there's regular singles. Some drummers never bother to learn anything more than singles for their footwork and their feet are amazing! It depends on the speed you want to hit. Doubles should make it easier to hit extreme speed. And then there's swivel which (in my case) takes quite some time learning but I feel it's an even more ergonomic way of hitting/maintaining high speed.

That's the 'technique' side. Then there's the rudiment/pattern aspect. No matter which technique you're using, it's quite a difference to play continuous 16th notes vs. broken patterns or short bursts. 16ths are way easier. Slow down for broken up patterns, address a few of them one at a time (e.g. groups of 3, 4, 5 notes). Try to have your feet rest on the footplate whenever you don't need them being active.

Do a search for foot techniques and double bass playing to find tons of existing threads.

As mentioned, Stick Control is superb. But you need to put in a substantial amount of time. I'd recommend learning the single stroke roll and double stroke roll first. Anything else is merely a combination of those - but not necessarily easy. Then start mixing singles and doubles, e.g. after 2 or 4 bars, then after 1 bar, 1/2 bar etc. The quicker you mix them the harder it gets.

The paradiddle would be a great 'short' combination of singles and doubles. This rudiment will open up the door for a lot more stuff (hard to get the notes even though).

That was extremely helpful thank you. My trouble with heel toe was the coordination required for the laced method but definitely going to try straight before trying Something else. Probably going for straight sixteenths to start and Become more complex as I progress.

For endurance the 10 minute freefall routine does miracles. wich is the 8 on a foot for 8 minutes straight with a 2 minute roll. The entire workout is first hands, then feet, and then both (blast beat). Just youtube it, it's one of derek roddy's videos.

Back