Travis Barker

sounds like double strokes to me.

"See how is wrist is not moving? It's because he is using the Moeller Technique."

http://www.derrickpope.net/moellertechnique.wmv

i believe the man says something about the whipping motion of the wrists having to do with the bounce control being fundemental to the moeller technique. i dont know......you check it out

anyways, it is possible for him to do a triplet just then, moeller or otherwise. but the poster described it as a "one handed ROLL thingy" which is a gross overstatement. the event itself, the "phantom no wrist moeller ROLL thingy" or double strokes was hardly memorable

this is me being nice

EDIT:"Just wondering if anyone knows what technique he uses (Moeller, french,german, etc). He plays a lot of one handed stuff, for example the boost mobile commercial. If anyone could get back to me I would greatly appreciate it, thanks"

look what i just noticed, a very revealing earlier post. the way you can tell if a drummer is using moeller technique is by the dramatic WHIP OF THE WRISTS, in a fast drum roll you will see the arms and wrist noticable drop in an up in down motion to keep the strokes in loop

Last edited:
nah i knew he was either using the Moeller Technique or something like the French technique and he uses the back three fingers i know that (in faster speeds)for sure, so he isn'st using his wrists ....HA

low-tech said:
sounds like double strokes to me.

"See how is wrist is not moving? It's because he is using the Moeller Technique."

http://www.derrickpope.net/moellertechnique.wmv

i believe the man says something about the whipping motion of the wrists having to do with the bounce control being fundemental to the moeller technique. i dont know......you check it out

anyways, it is possible for him to do a triplet just then, moeller or otherwise. but the poster described it as a "one handed ROLL thingy" which is a gross overstatement. the event itself, the "phantom no wrist moeller ROLL thingy" or double strokes was hardly memorable

this is me being nice

EDIT:"Just wondering if anyone knows what technique he uses (Moeller, french,german, etc). He plays a lot of one handed stuff, for example the boost mobile commercial. If anyone could get back to me I would greatly appreciate it, thanks"

look what i just noticed, a very revealing earlier post. the way you can tell if a drummer is using moeller technique is by the dramatic WHIP OF THE WRISTS, in a fast drum roll you will see the arms and wrist noticable drop in an up in down motion to keep the strokes in loop

they may sound that way but they arnt, look at his right hand doing 8th notes on the rim.

Re: Question about Travis Barker' drum heads

i know for batter he used remo smooth white emperors.

a few years ago i saw king crimson open for tool. i think it was at a relatively small venue like the wiltern. i can see how tool was influenced by them. i got lucky it was some sort of small private party. seeing these bands can really open one's perspective.

Jookbox said:
a few years ago i saw king crimson open for tool. i think it was at a relatively small venue like the wiltern. i can see how tool was influenced by them. i got lucky it was some sort of small private party. seeing these bands can really open one's perspective.

Sorry, I'm confused:..is Travis playing with Tool now or King Crimson?

By the way: Travis is so popular in the USA - even the No.1 drummer at Drummerworld. But in Europe 99% of people never heard his name, same goes for Blink 182

Bernhard

Bernhard said:
in Europe 99% of people never heard his name, same goes for Blink 182

Bernhard

Yes, in America it is Blink One Eighty Two...In England, they are called Blink One Eight Two, which just sounds wrong!

Bernhard said:
Sorry, I'm confused:..is Travis playing with Tool now or King Crimson?

I think Robert Fripp would have him for breakfast.

And yes Stu, you're right. And blink one-eighty-two just sounds wrong to me!

Well back to my "pronunciation" thread argument; they are Americans, so say it like THEY do! Blink One Eighty Two!!! (or...The Band Formererly Known as Blink...)

Stu_Strib said:
Hey Nutha, those pictures reminded me to say something nice about TB. He definitely has his technique right (look at the good fulcrum, and how he isn't way back on the stick like most guys are).

Yeah his grip is pretty good, but his index fingers are wrapped too tightly around the stick. Not the most relaxed grip I've ever seen but way better than most of the young drummers out there.

I guess that's what bugs me about the guy, just because his fans really don't have much to compare him to, they all think he's so amazing.

Then nonsense starts to come out like he's gonna compete in the WFD or he uses no mics. Yeah, right. Please, this is total teeny bopper kid stuff.

It's like Joey Jordison. He plays a relatively fast double bass roll and everyone thinks he's so badass. Meanwhile someone like Gene Hoglan or Derek Roddy toils away in relative obscurity.

It's a shame really.

Last edited:
DWDrummer said:
nah i knew he was either using the Moeller Technique or something like the French technique and he uses the back three fingers i know that (in faster speeds)for sure, so he isn'st using his wrists ....HA

Please learn what these words mean before you start throwing them around and confusing the younger drummers on this site.

Moeller technique, French GRIP (not technique) and finger control are three different things entirely.

Moeller is a wrist whip (a method for accenting and getting more than one stroke out of each wrist motion), French grip is a thumbs up grip matched style, and finger control is a method of controlling the sticks at high tempos using fingers alone.

Knevildrummer said:
Yeah his grip is pretty good, but his index fingers are wrapped too tightly around the stick. Not the most relaxed grip I've ever seen but way better than most of the young drummers out there.

I guess that's what bugs me about the guy, just because his fans really don't have much to compare him to, they all think he's so amazing.

Then nonsense starts to come out like he's gonna compete in the WFD or he uses no mics. Yeah, right. Please, this is total teeny bopper kid stuff.

It's like Joey Jordison. He plays a relatively fast double bass roll and everyone thinks he's so badass. Meanwhile someone like Gene Hoglan or Derek Roddy toils away in relative obscurity.

It's a shame really.

your right and i like the way you said it. you didnt bash him like ive seen 20-30 other posters do. and you blamed his discredability towards his younger fans which is 100% why people who dont like him -dont like him- because his younger "and ignorant to drumming" fans are just cought up in him. travis is my fav drummer and got me into drumming that will never change, but im aware that his fans have soiled his reputation towards the critical drumming population by rumours and over dramatization.

um ive seen alot of different grips, on the toms american/french. snare american/german. he does use the mollar and finger controll technique to achieve speed

Thanks I appreciate it man.

I saw Travis live a couple times, one at a Guitar Center Drum Off as a special guest ( in which Danny Carey, and his fans were there too). Travis wanted to leave the stage so bad after his performance I felt bad b/c all of the Tool fans didn't like him. I also met him in person once too. Dang is he shy; I feel so bad for all the blink-182 fans that have given him a bad rep... He is super nice.

Back