Last drummer to blow you away?

synergy

A little back story it needed here.....

In my local area scene- there are 2 main bands that play all the time and bring a good crowd everytime- they all both good bands with good musicians however they play the same songs everytime I have ever heard them.

Week in week out they do the same material- One band is a little better than the other in that they include some of their own songs.

This is not a dis at them- they are very good- just an observation.

I was in a bar last week that has smaller groups perform and was absolutley blown away by a local band no-one has ever heard of.

The drummer was the singer and just quite frankly incredible!

They had been playing shows out of state and for me just destroyed the 'better known' bands in town.

Just got me thinking about how talent can be hidden and really should get the attraction- however if I was to go around my local area and ask people about this band, no one would be able to tell me anything. If I ask about the other 2 bands- everyone even if they dont go out to see music would know them.

I just wondered when was the last time you were blown away by an unknown band or drummer?

Last night our band played a show with a bunch of other bands. We hung out for a few other acts after ours and were juust about to leave when...Wham! The cats in this band were all good musicians, and all had great stage pesence and positivity, but the drummer was just back there drivin' the bus! Grandmaster Flash done funk metal? Covered. Blues Traveler at triple time? Peice of cake. Rage Against the Machine as hip-hop? Done. The entire room, young and old, was jumping up and down in sync, and I think we all know that this only happens when the man at the tubs is layin' it down. Full of tasty chops, but not over the top, he had it goin on! OK, so he was not the best drummer I've ever seen, but he was in total command of the grooves and almost single handedly changed the energy in the club from mild interest to sing-along, hands in the air excitement. Yeah, he was the last drummer to blow me away.

There's a local band called "Kamphire Collective" (or something like that, spelling could be wrong) - the drummer is pretty incredible. I wasn't into the music, which is two guys rapping over rock/funk...I guess you could call it "instrumental hip hop". However, the drummer was fantastic and had an insane sense of groove and beautiful hi-hat work. He's obviously moved on since I saw them...they answered my Craigslist ad and were seeking a drummer.

There's a local band called "Kamphire Collective" (or something like that, spelling could be wrong) - the drummer is pretty incredible. I wasn't into the music, which is two guys rapping over rock/funk...I guess you could call it "instrumental hip hop". However, the drummer was fantastic and had an insane sense of groove and beautiful hi-hat work. He's obviously moved on since I saw them...they answered my Craigslist ad and were seeking a drummer.

I know that dude. He was a judge at a Guitar center Drum Off a few years ago too and used to work at Idaho Percussion before they went out of business. I foget his name but he had more chops than a kung-fu flick and more groove than Jennifer Lopez.

I know that dude. He was a judge at a Guitar center Drum Off a few years ago too and used to work at Idaho Percussion before they went out of business. I foget his name but he had more chops than a kung-fu flick and more groove than Jennifer Lopez.

He definitely has onion-dicing chops...he might have moved on to bigger and better things. They had one of his solos up on their myspace page a while back, it was really impressive.

Marcus Gilmore - saw him a couple months ago with Vijay Iyer and he's a freaking monster... He's too young to be that good.

I was never a massive fan of Muse, but after seeing Dom Howard at V festival last year I was just amazed !

Hmm. I'm going to say Jason Bittner. I first saw him on the modern drummer dvd in late 2007. He had been well know by that point but unknown to me. I've had the chance to see him perform at a show and as well at a clinic. I've met with him in person he's a really nice guy. He signed my CD, DVD, and i also bought his bass gong head that was also signed by him and shadows fall.

I don't think I've ever been so amazed by a drummer as when, 20 yrs ago, I saw David Jones on television with a wrap around kit and a well-oiled stool. He's almost as maniacal with brushes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBcgY53Yufo). He belongs in the circus :)

My favourite drumming performance, though, was Tony Smith playing with John McLaughlin's One Truth Band - every piece in his kit sounded incredible, and he played with with precision and style.

When I saw Colin Walcott with Oregan he played the tabla so beautifully ... I walked out of that gig walking on air.

Back