If you were just starting to learn how to play today..

runs

If you were going back to day 1 on learning drums, how would you do it? What advice would you give to a complete new drummer?

What's the most efficient way of learning?

I'm a singer/song writer that primarily plays guitar. I dabble with bass, piano and midi drum programming. Now I have an e kit for my drummer and can't resist playing; it's too much fun. Any tips or suggestions are highly appreciated.

In my opinion (and only my opinion) there's no substitute for hooking up with and developing a relationship with a qualified teacher. I don't care what your "end goal" is or what genre you are interested in.

There's so much to benefit from it, there's not enough time to go through it all. For those who have had the good fortune of having great private teachers already know all of this.

New technology and tools have provided more "self" learning opportunities which work and are fine once you've properly acquired the fundamentals. These "self" learning opportunities are only a one way process. There's no feedback. You can be convinced that you have something nailed. May be you do but if you don't and think you do, you've derailed.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a teacher.
Get a teacher.
Get a teacher.
Get a teacher.
Get a teacher.
Buy Tommy Igoe's dvd's.
Get a teacher.

Get a qualified teacher.

Develop good practice habits.

Study your technique diligently, but have fun in the process.

If you get bored, swap your kit to LH. : )

Metronome, metronome, metronome!
Get a teacher to help with a practice routine, and technique. Work on those beyond what you would ever deem necessary, then go back to a teacher to check up on yourself.
Then, listen, play, and use a metronome!

Back