Need Help With My Grip

DanFo

I've been having problems with my grip/technique. I've been playing 6 years and I think my grip and tech are getting worse (I'm using 7A Maple by the way). I find when I'm practicing, the stick slips out of my grip. This only seems to happen on my right (dominant) hand while my left is still just terrible. I'm also getting shocks in my right middle finger which are starting to make my hand hurt.

So I'm looking for some input. Could it be the sticks (too small?) or do I just need to overhaul everything and start slow. It seems like a lot and it kinda worries me.

Thanks,
Dan

Difficult to diagnose your problem without seeing it. Your best bet is to get a few lessons with a teacher. They can see what you're doing wrong and give you exercises to correct it.

Hi Dan.

The sticks are not the problem. It sounds to me like you don't have a decent fulcrum going on in either hand. Your best bet would be to seek out a reputable drum tutor in your area and let them have a look at it for you.

In the mean time, you can check out Dom's lessons on the Vic Firth website.

Good Luck mate.

Yeah I was hoping that the whole "teacher" thing would have come up. In my immediate area there are no reputable teachers which is sad but there's nothing I can do.

Speaking about the fulcrum though, is it supposed to be thumb/index or thumb/middle? Or are you supposed to practice both?

I would recommend watching disc 1 from Jojo Mayer's DVD "Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer." He spends a lot of time explaining grip, both matched and traditional. He also covers the proper motions for striking the drum, from your fingers on up your arms. He also demonstrates using rebound to your advantage. Finally, he show you exercises to develop these grips and techniques. Get out your sticks, practice pad, and throne and set them up in front of the TV, watch the video, then try the techniques and exercises as he explains them. Once you have the proper grip and technique down, it's a matter of practicing this way until it becomes natural.

Dan: The ability to grip a drum stick depends on the quality of your stroke (the movement of your arm). If you have a solid stroke in place, it gives you great flexibility and choice in how to hold a drumstick. You also avoid common problems like callouses, blisters, and weakness in your grip. If that makes any sense to you, click the link in my signature for more detail.

Without making any major changes, one thing you could try right away however is Gorilla Snot, which is a gooey resin like substance that helps keep the sticks in your hands.

Regards,

Alex Luce

Speaking about the fulcrum though, is it supposed to be thumb/index or thumb/middle? Or are you supposed to practice both?

Regarding the fulcrum question - that's one of those debatable things that is different based on your technique and style. It can be the first joint of the index finger, the second joint of the index finger, the middle finger, or somewhere in between. There's not really a straight answer to that until you identify what works best with some other factors of your technique.

Get the new Tommy Igoe DVD it's only $25. It will help. Another great DVD is the Jeff Queen Playing with Sticks. Jojo's is also good. If you can seek out a qualified teacher in another place try and do it. These DVD's are nice but they are nothing a truly qualified teacher can't teach you. Everyone thinks Jojo is wonderful because of this "Secret" DVD he has put out. I learned all the techniques in his DVD back in the early 80's before even VCR's from a professional teacher. I think the DVD's are good for people who can't get to a real teacher though and you have to get the one that best fits your needs. Don't forget the ones by Jim Chapin, Henry Adler and Joe Morello that are still out there also. These boys are the true big boys of the technique world.

Google Gig Grips. They will help you develop good grip placement and pressure, and will eliminate the stick from flying away while you re-learn your grip technique. I have grip strength issues in my right hand from a sports injury from a long time ago. These may be cheating, but whatever it takes to continue having fun, right?

Attachments

• grips 1.jpg
    grips 1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 347
  • grips 2.jpg
    grips 2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 356
  • grips 3.jpg
    grips 3.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 751
Google Gig Grips. They will help you develop good grip placement and pressure, and will eliminate the stick from flying away while you re-learn your grip technique. I have grip strength issues in my right hand from a sports injury from a long time ago. These may be cheating, but whatever it takes to continue having fun, right?

those are pretty cool. has anyone tried them

Thanks for all the information everyone. And those grips look pretty cool. I really wouldn't consider it cheating, just more as an aid.

Try to practise single strokes and double strokes, on a different surface, something like a pillow or cushion. It helps to improve hands and fingers grip and stick control.

Unless you are using these grips as a work-around for a permanent injury (like yourself), I can't see how they would be a good idea. They are probably like training wheels. Once you take them off, you still have to learn how to ride the bike.

Regards,

Alex

Get the new Tommy Igoe DVD it's only $25. It will help. Another great DVD is the Jeff Queen Playing with Sticks. Jojo's is also good. If you can seek out a qualified teacher in another place try and do it. These DVD's are nice but they are nothing a truly qualified teacher can't teach you. Everyone thinks Jojo is wonderful because of this "Secret" DVD he has put out. I learned all the techniques in his DVD back in the early 80's before even VCR's from a professional teacher. I think the DVD's are good for people who can't get to a real teacher though and you have to get the one that best fits your needs. Don't forget the ones by Jim Chapin, Henry Adler and Joe Morello that are still out there also. These boys are the true big boys of the technique world.
+1 on the Igoe DVD. That DVD is awesome for technique and that great routine.

How far away is a good teacher?
Honestly, I have no idea. In my immediate area I know there are none because I've been looking for one. And I'm really not in a position to travel for one.

Everyone, thanks for the suggestions. Once I go to my music store I'm gunna pick up Tommy's new DVD.

Back